OOOLD SCHOOOOL

IANdrewDiceClay

I've just got WWF Superstars 92 set and Raw seasons 93 and 94 so hopefully I will be able to make some contributions in here next week.

Loving these reviews Haraga, keep them coming please!

ive just watched raw 93 and 94, PTW 1992 was really good, shame rating were poor

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost my notes for the first match on the last Nitro before Slamboree 1996. What I can say about it is that Public Enemy vs. Steiners was good.

Dave Taylor vs. Chris Benoit

I'm warming to Taylor in a big way here as he does these wee ways out of Benoit's reversals. They're wee quick cheap shots but they're done so arrogantly that I can't help but love 'em. Much like the opener, this is a good two sided hard hitting contest, and Benoit wins with the Dragon Suplex.

Mean Gene is outside with Randy Savage. Steve McMichael is there too and he's got a plan for Flair, while Savage is trying to get into the building. He says we haven't seen crazy. "Don't tell me where I'm goin' 'cause you don't know where I've been! YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE I'VE BEEN!!!" :laugh:

More Glacier hype.

VK Wallstreet vs. Ric Flair

Ric Flair dances with Elizabeth pre-match. Weird seeing Rotunda as a firey face. Especially considering that it appears he's a heel. It would appear that Flair was looking past Wallstreet because of all of the circumstances surrounding the match, and Wallstreet looked to take advantage, bringing everything to the table. Wallstreet is a bit TOO out there though and makes enough of a mistake to allow Flair to lock in the Figure Four and win. Surprisingly good match.

Ric Flair heard Savage's comments earlier and then he looks to wind him up even more. He's really playing with fire here. It's the best promo he's done in a while though.

The Giant © vs. Lex Luger - WCW World Heavyweight Championship

You have to credit Luger's effort here. He actually gave The Giant so much of a fight and infuriated him so much that the end of the match came with The Giant Chokeslamming Luger through a table. That match was building amazingly.

Sting comes out to see his partner. Luger seems to be injured badly. The commentators commend the effort of Luger, as do I, and The Giant looks like a killer. Job done, and that ends a cracking Nitro. ROLL ON SLAMBOREE!!!

• Paid Members
Absolutely. Luger has been a real highlight about Nitro right from the word go. Everything about him has been great.

1996 and 1997 were great years for him. There was a point where he might have been the most popular wrestler in the US. Around World War 3 and Starrcade 96, I dont think there was a more popular wrestler than him. Michaels, Sid and Hart weren't getting the pops he was getting. Once "Basketball Highlight Theme #9" hit, the place went nuts for the Total Package.

• Moderators

Big Bubba wasn't shite until he dropped his weird Southern Lawyer gimmick in late '95 in the dungeon. Mind you, I love Big Ray Traylor and Southern Justice.

Do you know what'd be a laugh? If a few of us watched the same episode of Saturday Night or Worldwide, or Wrestling Challenge or something and all did a review of it. Shall we try that?

WCW Slamboree 1996

Road Warrior Animal and Booker T. vs. Road Warrior Hawk and Lex Luger

Good job of selling the problems of the gimmick as the Road Warriors just insinctively go to the same corner getting ready to team up. Their is quite a bit of niggle between Booker and Animal early in the match, as Booker gives Animal abuse while he takes a beating, and then there's quite a hard tag. The match was going alright before everyone started brawling with everyone else. There is a double count out as everyone brawled on the floor.

Public Enemy vs. Chris Benoit and The Taskmaster

Something you don't see everyday: Chris Benoit doing a bit of dancing. This match is a lot more orthodox most of the way. There isn't any stupid disagreement between any of them for the most part, but I suppose that Public Enemy were never gonna be doing much in the way of miscommunication. Sullivan causes bother though by holding Benoit on a table and Public Enemy put him through it. Sullivan walks away and Public Enemy pin Benoit.

Sgt. Craig Pittman and Scott Steiner vs. The Booty Man and Rick Steiner

We've already been screwed out of seeing the Road Warriors facing each other. Do we get the same treatment with the Steiners? The commentators are desperate to see Scott tagged in to face Rick. Scott tags in and the fans go mental. They spend a good amount of time against each other and rag doll each other all over the map. Rick winds up pinning Pittman with a German Suplex to end a decent wee match.

"Lord" Steven Regal and "Squire" Dave Taylor vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan and VK Wallstreet

There's some animosity between Wallstreet and Duggan, and Duggan basically wrestled the match on his own. He won on his own too. Well, Wallstreet gave an assist by distracting the ref. Taped fist from Duggan wins.

Dick Slater and "Earl" Robert Eaton vs. Alex Wright and Disco Inferno

Dick Slater looked particularly good in this match. The early signs in this match are good as both teams seem to be getting along with no problems. Slater his Inferno with a boot behind the back of the referee to send his team through. Too short to be noteworthy.

Barbarian and Diamond Dallas Page vs. Hugh Morrus and Meng

Faces of Fear collide! Four heels in the one tag match? That's a lot of heel for one match! Good moment at the start when DDP toys with Morrus before poking him in the eye. Meng and Barbarian don't show any signs of hesistation and lay into each other. These four guys have the right idea. With a title shot as a prize at the end, these guys want it. It's a pretty good hard hitting tag match. The ref counts the pins for Meng and Barbarian, and Barbarian and DDP go through as DDP got a foot on the rope.

Stevie Ray and Big Bubba vs. Fire and Ice

This is actually absolutely horrific stuff. Even for the short amount of time it's on. I wanted to scratch my own eyes out. Only a wee bit of what Ice Train does adds a wee bit of enjoyment to this one. Double Shoulder wins the match for Fire and Ice.

Randy Savage and Ric Flair vs. Arn Anderson and Eddie Guerrero

Lets face it, the main intrigue here is if Randy Savage manages to stay in control. That doesn't matter though, because Ric Flair attacks Savage as soon as he gets to the ring. The match meets some sort of normality with Eddie and Flair going at it. Anderson and Savage into the ring which was plotted by Flair. The match goes on for a mental five minutes where you don't have any idea what's going on. Flair pins Eddie for the win.

Post-match, the Horsemen lay a pretty brutal beating on Randy Savage.

Dean Malenko © vs. Brad Armstrong - WCW Cruiserweight Championship

This appears to be something of a piss-break match as the audience don't seem to care. Dean Malenko has a one track mind, working on the leg of Armstrong to set up for the Cloverleaf. Even WCW care about it so little that they cut away from the action to show us their Spanish announcing team. Good to see Brad Armstrong not forgetting that his leg is injured when he's in control. The match does liven up quite a bit. Malenko winds up not needing the Cloverleaf, winning with the Super Gutbuster.

"Earl" Robert Eaton and Dick Slater vs. VK Wallstreet and Hacksaw Jim Duggan

We get some slight teamwork from Wallstreet and Duggan, before they almost lay into each other before the referee tells them what's at stake. Later in the match, Duggan helps his partner on occaision through the match. This is sloppy stuff but it's kept exciting. Duggan punches Wallstreet and Slater makes the pin.

Public Enemy vs. Randy Savage and Ric Flair

Aye, we'll see. Savage attacks Ric Flair when he's on the aisle. Public Enemy win by default. Told ye. :laugh:

Diamond Dallas Page and The Barbarian vs. The Booty Man and Rick Steiner

DDP and Booty Man on opposite sides of the ring? Interesting. In true Steiner fashion, Rick spends much of the match just tossing DDP and Barbarian around the ring as if they were pieces of garbage. I suppose you could argue at this point that DDP WAS a piece of garbage. DDP lands an Elbow Drop on Booty and Barbarian makes the pin. That wasn't too bad.

Konan © vs. Jushin Thunder Liger - WCW United States Championship

As with most Konan matches, this one is a bunch of contrived nonsense on the mat, but thankfully it's still pretty good. Konan's got all sorts of weird shit going on. Liger finally has enough of this about midway through the match and starts throwing kicks and palm strikes from all angles. Konan gets a hard fought win with the Splash Mountain.

Battlebowl Battle Royal

I hate Battle Royals. This one is no exception. Just a bunch of guys walking around the ring and punching each other. I'll just say DDP wins with the Diamond Cutter at the end and leave it at that.

The Giant © vs. Sting - WCW World Heavyweight Championship

Lex Luger is going to be handcuffed to Jimmy Hart. Luger showed his true colours when he took every bit of fight to The Giant. Sting is all full of fire and much like all of Giant's recent opponents, he decides he won't allow himself to be taken aback by the strength and the size of The Giant. Luger drags Hart around the ring while going mental trying to get the fans behind Sting. I thought this was a bit horrible actually. Luger's "mistakes" cost Sting the match and Giant nailed the Chokeslam for the win.

It was an entertaining PPV because of the nature of the Lethal Lottery. Not much in the way of amazing matches but that wasn't the point!

WCW Nitro 20/05/1996

This was the last show before the switch to two hours.

Fire and Ice vs. The Steiner Brothers

There weren't many things on Nitro that were as consistantly entertaining as The Steiner Brothers were. They'd just ragdoll everyone that they faced off and then now and again, they'd come up against a team that were quite willing to do the same to them, and Fire and Ice were that sort of team. Norton seemed to get thrown about more than anyone, and got dropped on his head a few times. This isn't Japan dude, you don't have to do that. This physical outing comes to an end when everyone gets counted out as they brawl. I certainly want to see more of this!

Ric Flair vs. Eddie Guerrero

These two guys were in opposite teams the night before and had a nifty wee exchange in their match, so they gave them a one on one match. Guerrero's plan seemed to be to act like Flair in every way possible. The crazy thing was that it was working. It was only when he reverted to his high flying that things took a turn for the worse and he took out his own knee. From that point, he remained in the match and put up a good fight, but Flair never looked to be in any danger. Flair eventually won with the Figure Four Leglock in a good match.

Ric Flair post-match has some words for Savage and Mongo, and then heads for the commentary table.

Sting and Lex Luger © vs. The Faces of Fear - WCW World Tag Team Championships

I'm pretty sure there's a storied history between Meng and Sting. Don't know if it came before or after this match, but they definately had a few outings. Much like the earlier tag match, this was physical, but it was a lot more one sided in the favour of the Faces of Fear who laid quite the beating on Sting, who took everything that the Faces had to offer and survived. He landed a Top Rope Splash to retain the gold.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Brad Armstrong

I can only imagine that the purpose of this match was to keep DDP looking reasonably strong after winning the Battlebowl the previous night. He did look strong too, getting a decisive victory with the Diamond Cutter.

Post-match, he says he has one person to thank for his Battlebowl win. Himself. Mean Gene says his title shot has been taken from him and given to Luger, and he blows a gasket. Haud on. That renders pretty much the entire Lethal Lottery concept redundant right there.

The Giant © vs. Arn Anderson - WCW World Heavyweight Championship

I understand that WCW had an Anything Can Happen feel to them, but I can tell you that Arn Anderson was never going to win the belt in this match. The match was decent enough. Arn Anderson helped the early stages with his brilliant mannerisms as he had no idea how to deal with his much larger opponent. He also got some good control but it was shortlived and The Giant won with the Chokeslam.

That ends a decent episode!

Post-match, Ric Flair leaves the broadcast booth.

I'm in a similar situation to you Haraga in that i'm currently working my way through all the WCW 1996 PPVs which I have never seen before, last one I watched was Slamboree too.

I've always enjoyed Lethal Lottery and on the whole this was the same, until they did the 2nd round which I thought was pointless and contained no decent matches. The Steiners encounter, Benoit/Sullivan vs Public Enemy, DDP/Barbarian vs Morrus/Meng and the Savage/Flair stuff was all great fun though I thought. Rest was pretty poor.

Outside of the battlebowl was okay and I enjoyed the main event. The end was a bit different and something I have never seen before with the Luger/Hart 'who hit Sting' business, I quite liked it and i'm intrigued to see where it went, possibly nowhere :laugh: I'm looking forward to watching the Great American Bash which i'm told is where things step up a gear and the shit hits the fan.

WCW Nitro 27/05/1996

WCW moves to a two hour format! Lots of action on this show.

American Males vs. Arn Anderson and Ric Flair

The Horsemen waste no time going to the cheating as the Males take control of the match right from the word go. The Males get fed up with that and wrestle FURIOUSLY after that. Clearly not pleased with the cheap shots of the Horsemen. When we come back from commercials, I could swear that Bagwell's comeback in the corner was in fast forward as it just looked weird. The Horsemen eventually ground Riggs by going after the leg. Of course, low blows and pokes to the eye help. Riggs' flying interference any time that Anderson gets involved at the end is brilliant. Horsemen win with Anderson's DDT in a fun match.

Mean Gene is with Anderson and Flair on the aisle. Anderson has a lot to say to McMichael and Greene. That's actually a nifty wee promo. Ric Flair then gets the mic. Flair says that Debra belongs to the Nature Boy. Elizabeth says Flair can have what he wants.

We now have a trainig video of McMichael and Greene. What a pointless load of crap.

The Mauler vs. Steve Doll

Speaking of useless pieces of crap, who the hell are these two guys? If this is what moving to two hours means, I'm not sure I'm a fan. The Mauler has some awesome ring music though. These two guys set a pace that is suddenly making me give a shit. Mauler lands a SUPERB Super Fallaway Slam, ragdolling Doll.

Scott Hall decides to make his appearance and jumps the rail. He grabs the mic and references stuff like Nacho Man and Billionaire Ted. Scott Hall says he has a challenge for Bischoff and everyone else. He says if WCW want a war, they're gonna get one. It's about fucking time as well!

Sgt. Craig Pittman vs. Diamond Dallas Page

Pittman does some pretty embarrassing one handed push ups. Surely that sort of disaster should be kept for heels, no? This match is actually a disaster itself. DDP gets tangled up in cable in a misguided attempt at comedy. DDP takes a cheap shot at Teddy Long and then lands a STUNNER of a Diamond Cutter for the win. After looking like something decent the week before, he looks like shit here despite the win. Horrible match.

Pre-match, we find out that The Shark has been kicked out of the Dungeon of Doom and he simply says he'll hurt the DoD by winning the gold. He calls The Giant the big man on campus which amuses me for some reason.

The Giant © vs. The Shark - WCW World Heavyweight Championship

They play this up as The Giant's biggest task, but did anyone really believe that Sting or Lex Luger was less of a challenge than The Shark? Sure enough, The Giant lays a mammoth beating on the challenger here. The Shark got some shots on him but ultimately, it didn't mean anything as The Giant wouldn't be shaken. The Giant actually wound up needing the help of Hart! Giant wins with the Chokeslam.

Big Bubba comes down and cuts his hair now.

Lex Luger © vs. Maxx - WCW Television Championship

Maxx looks like a nasty big bastard, and he gives Luger all sorts of problems early. Maxx actually gives Luger a bit of a kicking during this match actually. Maxx tries to win with a Headbutt at some point which is fine by me. Luger finally takes some control of the match with his big Flying Forearm but Maxx has given him real problems. Luger somehow pulls it out with the Torture Rack though. Decent power match.

Lex Luger is in the ring with Mean Gene and says he doesn't make the matches, and he is happy with getting with the title shot. He's raging about getting put through a table.

"Hardwork" Bobby Walker vs. Brad Armstrong

They give Walker a bit of a build up, calling him a prodigy of the Power Plant. Armstrong brings out lots of wee nods to experience, while Walker when he gets the control manages to blow the only two big moves that he gets initially. Maybe not the best idea putting this guy on Nitro quite yet? They do finally bring the match around. Walker with a big shoulder block off the top gets a two count. Whit?! Not horrible but messy as hell.

"Lord" Steven Regal vs. Alex Wright

It's great at the start when Wright is countering everything that Regal does, so Regal starts to get more and more unorthodox as the match goes on, and Wright gets more and more inventive with his counters. Regal eventually settles for laying in a bit of a hammering on Wright instead of wrestling. I love the look of absolute disdain that Regal has on his face as he lays the beating on him in the corner. Regal gets the pin with the Jacknife Pin in what turned out to be a good hard fought match.

Mean Gene is now in the ring with "Lord" Steven Regal. Regal gets promo time on Nitro? Regal: "You telling me how to run my life is like Quasimodo telling someone how to walk straight!" :laugh: Regal then unloads on the fans and everyone else. Regal then lays out a challenge to Sting and says he wants the "circus freak" champion.

Scott Steiner vs. Sting

They've been hyping this for the entire show. It had better be fucking good! This match is really dull for the most part. They do a bunch of big stuff and fly around a bit but I'm just not feeling it for some reason. Steiner going a bit submission crazy was nice to see. They then liven things up from that point. Lex Luger and Rick Steiner are now at ringside. It kicks off on the floor and then everyone brawls in the ring and we have a no contest to a dull match.

The locker room empties and keeps the two teams seperate.

We now go to the commentary table and Scott Hall is there and he says that "we" are sick of his big mouth. Hall wants to go to war in the ring where it matters. Hall then leaves the announce table and we're out of time!

• Moderators
The Mauler vs. Steve Doll

Speaking of useless pieces of crap, who the hell are these two guys?

The Mauler is Mike Fucking Enos! He was in a rich vein of form in WCW. He had some great C-Show matches, and a top bout against Benoit jerking the curtain at Souled Out '99. Also, he's reunited with Wayne Bloom tagging in 1998.

Mike Enos' "Rough and Ready" team with Dick Slater in '96 is nearly as fun as Slater and Bunkhouse Buck. Really underrated, Mike Enos.

Archived