OOOLD SCHOOOOL

IANdrewDiceClay

Sorry should of mentioned I have not watched a Royale Rumble since 2004. So a couple of your favourites I am yet to see.

School boy error on missing the “o” out apologies.

Regarding the one winner. I know looking back at it now Austin is nailed on to win but back then I wouldn’t of thought like that. I would of thought Vader would of lasted longer than he did but I guess he wasn’t near the main event scene early 98.

Speaking of schoolboy errors...

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just watched all of January 1996 Nitro, now progressing into February. Really enjoyed the Savage/Benoit match, Randy seemed to let Benoit have most of the match and really let him look aggressive and dominant. The flying elbow to Benoit face down was interesting and fooled me into thinking it was over. Really good up until the finish, sort of makes me want to track down the rematch on Saturday Night.

Roadies/Sting & Luger now.

• Paid Members

Until his knees and hip completely died on him, Savage was still putting on world class performances. His feud with DDP was some of the best work of his career. When he came back from knee and hip surgury, he was a musclehead that never left his feet and that pretty much was the end for him. But in 1995-98, he looked like he was trying to show the WWF that they were wrong to put him in the announcers chair. His move to WCW was a good one for him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Right, back to these bad boys...

WCW Nitro 17/06/1996

So we're now in the post-Bash phase of things. Schiavone and Larry are still giving it the "you know who they are" stuff at this point, which is already getting old. The good thing is that Larry isn't impressed with the outsiders, and he's the heel. Good. We go six minutes without any original action. Jesus...

Stevie Ray vs. Rick Steiner

Admittedly, this is probably the singles combination I'd want to see the least between these two teams. The match is a decent enough match I suppose, but it's pretty boring when Stevie Ray is in control at the start, which shouldn't really come as a surprise. Steiner gets the win with the Clothesline.

Booker T. comes out and Harlem Heat are working over Rick Steiner. Scott Steiner comes in and protects his brother and that will come in costly as Scott has a match with The Giant.

Disco Inferno comes out and asks if people want to see him dance. They don't, but he does anyways. Joe Gomez comes out and we now have a match.

Disco Inferno vs. Joe Gomez

Disco Inferno is always good to watch. Even with he's selling and wrestling, he does everything right and plays his character down to a tee and it's great. Disco has been reading up on cheap tactics, as you could count the number of clean moves on one hand! Joe Gomez gets the shock win with a Crucifix Pin when Disco does a cocky cover. Not much fun to be had in that match either.

We're backstage with Ric Flair and the ladies. Flair is very boastful about what happened the previous night. Flair says Savage is gonna find out first hand why he's on top of the world. The usual mental Flair promo around this time.

Chris Benoit and Arn Anderson vs. American Males, American Males, American Males...

Anderson didn't seem to know whether to be the crafty veteran or the goofy heel initially. You're either smart or you're not! The American Males looked pretty good in this one. Benoit did turn the match around now and again but the Males controlled the majority. Benoit got a win out of nowhere by dropping Riggs over the top rope gut first. A rather fun tag team match there.

Mean Gene is in the ring with Benoit and Anderson. They basically go on about how the Horsemen are back together and Benoit especially seems a bit angry that they had doubters. Calm down man.

Big Bubba vs. John Tenta

Tenta hits a surprisingly graceful Dropkick quite early in this one. I can't belive they still say "he realised he isn't a fish" with a straight face on commentary about Tenta. This stuff is just terribly boring. Jimmy Hart gets involved and takes an Atomic Drop and then Tenta lands a Powerslam and uses the ropes for the win. I'm sure there's some sort of justice in there. Somewhere.

Post match, Bubba beats the shit out of John Tenta with a loaded sock. This is a lot less funny, and a lot more brutal than it sounds. Good post-match angle to follow a shit match.

Mean Gene is now with Big Bubba and Jimmy Hart. Big Bubba is going absolutely mental about what he did to John Tenta a short while ago. You'd think he was the one that got the doing!

Backstage and we have Randy Savage with Mean Gene. Savage says he doesn't have a plan. "Don't blink, because I'm gonna take my time." I don't think you planned that one out right there Randy.

Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage

This is going to be awesome. Or at least I hope it will. Can't believe they gave it away on free TV. It's a terrific war as well with both guys going absolutely crazy for a good long while, hitting each other with everything that they have. The match breaks down in a big way when we have a ref bump, and then Flair wins with a briefcase shot from Mongo.

I'm gonna do the rest tomorrow, but wanted to get this thread going again.

• Paid Members

As 1996 Nitro progresses, it's a joy to see how many Flair/Arn tag matches end with the formular of "Arn DDTs the opponent behind the ref's back, turns around in time to see Flair make the pin."

...WCW Nitro 17/10/1996 continued.

Right, so back to the show and The Horsemen lay on a beating on Randy Savage.

Mean Gene is with Kevin Sullivan, Jimmy Hart and The Giant. Jimmy Hart says you can't trust the Horsemen. They're still more concerned with the Horsemen. Sullivan talks about Anderson, but The Giant just butts in, because he can. The Giant thinks that The Horsemen are jealous because HE is the champ. He doesn't care how many Horsemen he faces. The Giant was awesome on the mic there. Kevin Sullivan then points out that WCW comes first, as a wee parting shot at the outsiders.

Mean Gene is now with Rey Mysterio Jr. on the aisle. Rey doesn't like that Malenko cheated, and says he's gonna win. That was pretty simply put!

Dean Malenko

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Just found a goldmine of old WCW Saturday Nights!

WCW SATURDAY NIGHT - 1/1/94

We've got Tony Schiavone, Mean Gene and The Body on hand to introduce us to the show. For some reason Gene gives Jesse a glare like he's brought dogshit in on his shoes. We have a quick recap of Starrcade and then a familiar set of blonde locks and sub-Ric Flair robe are making their way to the ring, attached to Terry Taylor. Oh joy. The crowd goes mad, but they were like that on Saturday Night. Apparently he's getting a shot at the World TV title because he beat The Equalizer at Starrcade, so that means it's time for Lord Steven Regal. The crowd boos. He looks at them like they're complete bloody pillocks.

Somehow the match goes about 12 minutes of largely awkward-looking mat shit that Regal was often guilty of when he wrestled someone he didn't like and it finishes with him pulling Taylor's tights after a weird exchange of pin attempts in the corner. Nobody comments on him pulling the tights, not even Taylor. Very odd match.

Backstage for a promo from Col. Robert Parker with Stunning Steve Austin - who smiles a lot but doesn't actually say anything while Parker waffles on about Sting. Thanks for that. Ooh, Pretty Wonderful are on next. Schiavone complains about them cheating to beat 2 Cold Scorpio and Marcus Alexander Bagwell thanks to the Masked Assassin while we find out that Scott Studd & Brady Boone are the ones that are going to get twatted by Orndorff and Roma.

Lots of "PAULA!" chants. I'd forgotten about those. Roma doesn't look too arsed. Funny, that. Boone does a couple of head scissors on Mr #1derful, so he responds by twatting him right in the side of the face, booting him in the ribs and then almost twisting his head off. Boone then tries a sunset flip, a la Richie Freebird, so Orndorff lariats his head off. Roma comes in to have a go at Studd, powerslams him, tags Orndorff back in for the piledriver and Roma then comes back in to pin him with one finger.

We have a recap of Starrcade after a segment called WCW Amateur Challenge that I don't remember AT ALL sees some fat bastard sat on a bench doing impressions of wrestlers. What the fuck was that all about?!

Ahh shit, it's Johnny B Badd. He pisses around with the fans and his bloody gun for what seems like an age while Tony Zane tells the fans to shut up. Actually, it's pretty funny, the turnbuckle he eventually stands on to fire into the crowd, you can visibly see about half a dozen people in the background waving desperately for him not to fire it at them and for him to fire it in the other direction. But, twat that he is, he doesn't listen. Short match, the usual B Badd shit, before he does a diving sunset flip from the top rope that he botches before Zane comes to his rescue and falls on his arse anyway.

Gene comes down for an interview and I'm fast-forwarding until I notice Tex Slazenger & Shanghai Pierce, before they became pig farmers, come out to teach him the error of his ways. Good on them. They don't hit him, though, so it's a wasted opportunity.

Maxx Payne & Cactus Jack are up next against Robbie Eagle & Mark Kyle. Kyle looks a bit like a fat MVP. I think Eagle's family are in because there are audible '"ROBBIE!" chants before Payne caves his chest in with a big elbow. Not much happening here until Payne makes Eagle submit with an armbar. Why the fuck were Payne & Cactus ever babyfaces? Gene comes down and Cactus cuts a promo about how him and Payne are soulmates (!) and how they have been working out together and lost a lot of weight (!!) before we find out the Colossal Kongs are up next!

They don't even bother introducing the jobbers here before the Kongs literally squash them, while Harley Race cuts a box promo that has nothing to do with the Kongs and is about Ric Flair. We find out at the end of the match that one of the jobbers was Scott D'Amore.

Hey look, it's The Shockmaster! In one of his few appearances where he was suddenly coming out dressed as a builder in a hardhat? Is that what he's going for?! The Body's not impressed - "Notice how he's holding on to his hat as he enters the ring, there. If there's one guy who would lose it, it would be the Shockmaster." Giggle. A couple of splashes on JL Sullivan, who looks a bit embarrassed to be losing to him, he falls flat on his fuckin' arse and gets pinned.

Gene invites us to ring him on some hotline to hear his thoughts on Dory Funk Jr or something before Flyin' Bryan comes out to face a man who wants him to serve some hard time! Sgt. Buddy Parker. Oh. The best part of the match is when Parker puts Pillman in some kind of ankle hold and basically cuts a promo where he tells everyone that he's taking over WCW, asks Sting how he likes that, and tells everyone that he's going to write them a ticket. If you say so! Pillman wins with the missile drop-kick.

How many matches did they pack into Saturday Night? This is ace because here's another one. Okay, it's 2 Cold Scorpio & Marcus Bagwell against Pat Rose & JD Wolfe, but never mind. The best part is Wolfe stomping on Bagwell's face before Scorpio hits the 'Diss That Don't Miss' for the win. Their manager Teddy Long cuts a promo with Fagwell and Scorpio calling Pretty Wonderful 'Paula'. Nice one!

It's main event time! The new US Heavyweight Champion Stunning Steve Austin and THIS....IIIIIIIIIIS.....STING! Bloody love Gary Michael Capetta. Decent little match, goes about 10 minutes until Pillman comes out chasing Col Robert Parker and gets Sting disqualified by chasing through the ring. Austin insists that he would have won anyway and would have been the first man to reverse the Scorpion Death Lock when he gets interviewed by Gene.

And that's it!

• Paid Members
Robbie Eagle went on to be late era WCW colossal bore The Maestro.

Ahh, did not know that. Looking him up, he apparently now calls himself The 'Stro. Excellent.

If anyone else wants to explore the goldmine of old WCW and WWF stuff I found, it's on this channel:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedneckSpiritHunter6

Archived