OOOLD SCHOOOOL

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ice Train!

Fuck me now thats a blast from the past last thing I remember of him was when Scott Norton twated him from out of nowhere during a massive brawl (they may have been tag partners up until that point) and joined the NWO.

I remember Jim Powers as a jobber in about '91, wasn't he in a proper tag team in the WWF before that with Paul Roma or someone?

Yup Roma and Powers were The Young Stallions, I think they were a team from 1987 to late 1988 or early 89.

I missed a ton of WCW during that era and a lot of what I managed to watch was just bits and bobs (so I tend to remember things wrong) which makes watching old Nitro's even more fun for example I had no idea that Arn Anderson actually beat Hulk Hogan once let alone twice in two weeks.

• Paid Members

This thread is one of my favourite things about the UKFF. Here are some random thoughts on some of the posts I've only just caught up on :

* Richie, I too adored that segment where Sting & Luger worked their way into War Games playing off their experience and the fact that Flair knew exactly what each were capable of. I think "grudging respect between enemies" is a theme we don't see enough of in todays version of our great sport. Cena and Orton, for instance, only started "respecting" each other once the latter turned face. It doesn't have to be that way. But then, Luger & Sting being mates despite the former being a heel (and unbridled tosser) was one of the best, most realistic storyline quirks ever. We all have a mate like Sting who's top but is blind to the fact that his bestie is an irredeemable arsehole.

* The mention of the Young Stallions makes me smile. A few months back one of the lads doing the Vintage report on Rajah referred to them as the Wild Stallions. I couldnt resist emailing him to let him know that Roma & Powers were the YoungStallions - the WILD Stallions were Bill & Ted. **

* Those outdoor Disney Nitros were great fun, and as previously mentioned with BATB'95 and Hog/Road Wild, WcW were great for having events and arenas that looked a bit different. Yes, WWE occasionally put some interesting bollocks on the ramp, but from the hard camera POV, it's all same shit, different day.

* The best thing about Ice Train was his music.

** Well, Wyld Stallyns anyway.

* The best thing about Ice Train was his music.

I always hated Ice Train because he was clearly above selling anything I remember the Outsiders beat him down with belts and he no sold all of them the prick, His highlight for me was a match at the MGM outside Nitro of Ice Train versus Meng where train jumps off the top rope into a ferocious boot to the face from Meng that I like to call "SWeet Meng Music" it's a thing of beauty.

• Paid Members

Just started watching Fall Brawl 93 and I have to say that Regal v Steamboat has to be one of the greatest opening PPV matches of all time. Absolutely brilliant, it could be Regal's best that I've seen.

I do not remember Big Sky or Charlie Norris at all, why was this match on a PPV? The crowd clearly didn't know why it was on when they started chanting "We want Flair!"

• Paid Members
I do not remember Big Sky or Charlie Norris at all, why was this match on a PPV?

It's the karma for the Steamboat/Regal match, which was so awesome they also were forced to endure the Equalizer, the never-ending Horsemen/Nastys, the disjointed Flair/Rude and Shockmaster in a main event.

Charlie Norris was (of course) WcW's answer to Tatanka, and he bombed. Big Sky had previously appeared as Woman's bodyguard Nitron when she was managing Doom, but is better remembered for playing Sabretooth in X-Men.

• Paid Members
I still can't fucking stand Larry Zbyszko on commentary in 1990's WCW and that silly little wave he does everytime he is introduced on Nitro makes my stomach turn.

Zbyszko was great, you bastard.

Archived