The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
so i've been playing endless amounts of Street Fighter 2 recently

More importantly, who do you select first? Ken player here.

And ESWAT was a brilliant game back then.

I think i had a SNES around the time of the Mega Drive boom, so a lot of those titles are lost on me. It's got Golden Axe and Altered Beast on there though, so i need to have a play of them at some point.

I pretty much only play as Ken for some reason. Fortunately, the version that's provided is the New Challengers, so i can pretend that i'm exercising variety by changing the colour of his outfit in the event of a loss.

• Paid Members

This is the full list:

Alex Kidd

Alien Storm

Altered Beast

Arrow Beast

Arrow Flash

Bonanza Bros

Columns

Crack Down

Decap Attack

Ecco

ESWAT

Fatal Labyrinth

Flicky

Golden Axe 2

Shadow Dancer

Streets of Rage 1

Streets of Rage 2

Sonic Spinball

There's an SD card slot, but i've not yet had time to sit and figure out the logistics of that, as i'll need to add Mortal Kombat at some point.

Streets of Rage 2 was one of the best games for the system and probably had the best music alongside Sonic 2. Surprised me how good it was and a real contender to Final Fight. Sounds like you just need to load the game rom files onto the SD card to add more games to it (not that I'm actively encouraging that but you'll do it anyway) :)

Altered Beast is all right. I had a spell of really trying my hardest to get anywhere on it a couple of years ago. For some reason, no matter how easily I got battered on it, I got quite determined to have another go and try again. For that reason, I don't think that it's inherently a bad game. It's just overly hard. If memory serves, the furthest I got was to a level where the beast was a yellow version of the werewolf off the first level, but I only got that far maybe once or twice, and I was always on the last life by then.

The Splatterhouses could be a bit like that. Especially on the bosses. Fucking solid and required loads of "pattern memorisation" but even though they were dead hard, they were still good fun too.

Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic 2 are certainly my favourite games on the system though.

It's just overly hard. If memory serves, the furthest I got was to a level where the beast was a yellow version of the werewolf off the first level, but I only got that far maybe once or twice, and I was always on the last life by then.

That's the inherent problem of a lot of arcade to home console ports. Many arcade games were designed to simply be coin eaters and have huge difficulty spikes which doesn't really sit well with home console gaming so if the game wasn't tweaked it would be frustratingly difficult, especially if it had limited continues.

This is the full list:

Alien Storm- Cracking conversion of the game well worth a blast

Bonanza Bros- Hidden Gem on the MD, fantastic game

Columns- Checkout the best ever game list. This game is like liquid crack

Decap Attack- Reskinned Magical Hat Turbo Adventure, decent game, harsh difficulty

Flicky- Arcade fave, easy to pick up annoying but good

Shadow Dancer- Cracking game!

There's an SD card slot, but i've not yet had time to sit and figure out the logistics of that, as i'll need to add Mortal Kombat at some point.

]

Never had an issue with Altered Beast like some, I think it was because I had amongst the first MD's where Altered Beast came as in pack and only 2 other games for a very long time. Me and me bro rattled through it with relative ease on a number of occasions. not played it for donkeys mind

I stumbled across a half decent Megadrive racing game earlier this year actually. I'd never played it before, but found to be jolly entertaining - Top Gear 2. I'd never even heard of it, to tell you the truth, but when blasting through any old ROMs that sounded remotely like racing titles, I decided to give it a shot. It doesn't quite have the impressive Mode 7 effects of the likes of F-Zero on the SNES, but for a Megadrive title, it does give you quite a good illusion of driving round a 3 dimensional track.

topgear21.png

Obligatory screen shot

I'm not sure how well known it is, but if you like the Megadrive and circuit based racers, it's definitely worth checking out.

I stumbled across a half decent Megadrive racing game earlier this year actually. I'd never played it before, but found to be jolly entertaining - Top Gear 2. I'd never even heard of it, to tell you the truth, but when blasting through any old ROMs that sounded remotely like racing titles, I decided to give it a shot. It doesn't quite have the impressive Mode 7 effects of the likes of F-Zero on the SNES, but for a Megadrive title, it does give you quite a good illusion of driving round a 3 dimensional track.

topgear21.png

Obligatory screen shot

I'm not sure how well known it is, but if you like the Megadrive and circuit based racers, it's definitely worth checking out.

Interesting development history has that, as it came from the same team that did the Lotus games for the Amiga and Megadrive and as far as I know, Lotus III: Recs and Top Gear 1/2 were developed side by side by Gremlin

The music from Top Gear was covered by Megadriver too, the album can be found on their official website for download, here

Edited by patiirc

I have XJ220 on the Mega CD. While I'm still to this day amazed by hearing CD quality music and sound effects on the Megadrive (via the Mega CD) I did find the tracks to feel a little bit uninspiring on the game. The 3D illusion was still half decent though, and the handling / controls reminded me a little bit of my beloved Outrun.

Got my original Xbox back from a friend the weekend:

90umpi.jpg

The proper Xbox One :D I sold it to him months ago, did regret it so he gave it me back as he never played it. Still have these games ready:

Championship Manager 2002/2003

Half Life 2

Doom 3

Doom 3: Resurrection Of Evil

Breakdown

Burnout 2

Burnout 3

Burnout: Revenge

Pariah

Star Wars: Republic Commando

The Suffering: Ties That Bind

SNES Emulator :mark: