Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The BBC highlights don't seem to show Lennon being sent to the stands for any particular reason. Whether it affected the game, however, I really doubt. Unless you're talking about the handball, in which case I'd have to pull an Arsene Wenger on it and say I can't see it properly even after viewing two replays - from one angle it seems like a chest, from the other less so. Even then, Celtic were 2-0 down at the time and had been under major pressure.

Hard to argue the Ledley challenge didn't deserve a red though - any time you take two feet off the ground and put them in front of you, you're risking it, and it seems pretty clear he missiled in and took out the player before getting near the ball.

It didn't look like a chest from any angle.

Edit.. photo won't work for some reason.. here's a link to it.

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e355/hargy78/11112010163.jpg

Struggling Clyde have gone back to the future after becoming the second Scottish side to be owned by the community.

The Cumbernauld-based club ditched their limited company status at an EGM held on Thursday night and returned to their community-owned routes.

Clyde were formed as a members' club in 1877 but incorporated as a limited liability company in the early part of the 20th Century.

This week's decision to revert to a member-owned status is similar to that at Stirling Albion whose supporters trust bought former chairman Peter McKenzie's shares in July this year.

Clyde came close to be wound-up last year over debts owed to the local authority.

However, chairman John Alexander reckons Thursday's historic decision will safeguard their future.

He said: "Football is a precarious business, we have agreed a new set of rules and that means that this club will never again risk its future on unsustainable dreams and debt.

"The revised articles state that the club cannot borrow to pay wages or salaries of employees and the club cannot be conducted for private gain.

"The ethos will be to promote a successful football club that will encourage and develop sporting opportunities and activities in the community."

Clyde Supporters' Trust worked closely with the club board to bring about the change.

Trust chairman Gordon Thomson said: "We believe our club will be safer and stronger in the hands of the many rather than the few. I hope others can follow our example."

On the park Clyde are struggling at the foot of the third division after successive relegations from the first and second division.

An interesting concept, and one which more smaller clubs really should have a look at.

Well done Clyde.

• Paid Members

They should never have moved from Shawfield IMO.

In all seriousness, great move. They have been struggling really badly recently. Hope this gets them back up the leagues after the damage Graham Roberts and Tommy Coyne started years back.

Dunfermline blew a massive chance today to get back on top of the First Division. 2-0 up and coasting at home to Raith. Andy Kirk then misses an open goal from two yards out; Neil McGregor then gets a stupid second booking and the roof caves in, ship two goals and Raith nick a point.

They aren't much of a footballing team but credit they have some resolve about them and never gave up.

Partick Thistle 0-0 Morton

First half was an absolute abomination. Partick played not badly but they didn't look like they wanted to open up too much. We pressured quite a bit and took the ball off of them and quite well too, but when we got the ball we looked lost. We began to drive forward a bit towards the end of the first half and then heading into the second I thought it turned into a decent little game. A draw is a decent result I'd say.

I'll add mine. Stranraer 2 Annan 2

Annan went a goal up after David Mitchell punched a free kick off Sean O'Connor. Then Ian Harty makes it two at the start of the second half. Blues bring on Michael Moore who seems to remind the home team what the object of the game is. He sets up Sean Winter for 2-1 then his shot beats Jamieson at the near post to make it 2-2. Good game and one which keeps Stranraer top. Just.

• Paid Members
I'll add mine. Stranraer 2 Annan 2

Annan went a goal up after David Mitchell punched a free kick off Sean O'Connor. Then Ian Harty makes it two at the start of the second half. Blues bring on Michael Moore who seems to remind the home team what the object of the game is. He sets up Sean Winter for 2-1 then his shot beats Jamieson at the near post to make it 2-2. Good game and one which keeps Stranraer top. Just.

A bit gutted I couldn't make the trip, Annan have a habit of letting teams back into the game after going up.

Well, Gary Caldwell has pulled out of the Scotland squad, which surely means a call-up for Mark Reynolds of Motherwell, right?

I mean, his exclusion from the original squad (which includes Danny Wilson, who has 15 senior games under his belt, and has played once this season) was enough of a travesty, so he's surely due a shot now.

Is he fuck. Levein has drafted in Gary Kenneth.

I hope Scotland fail to qualify for the European Championships, and will not be following the national team until that joke of a manager is gone.

Well, Gary Caldwell has pulled out of the Scotland squad, which surely means a call-up for Mark Reynolds of Motherwell, right?

I mean, his exclusion from the original squad (which includes Danny Wilson, who has 15 senior games under his belt, and has played once this season) was enough of a travesty, so he's surely due a shot now.

I hope Scotland fail to qualify for the European Championships, and will not be following the national team until that joke of a manager is gone.

Danny Wilson has more high level experience than Mark Reynolds. 15 games or not.

I think it's good that your support of your team isn't clouding your judgement.

Seriously, give it a rest. I almost hope he does make his debut and scores a hat-trick of own goals just to shut you up about this 'amazing' centre back. I wanted to see him the squad too but I'm not going to moan about the fact that he's not. He's not a game breaker.

Absolutely delighted with the 3 points today. St. Mirren did well and I feel quite sorry for them, but it was crucial that we got back to winning ways and I think we deserved it. Once again an individual piece of class from Paddy McCourt makes all the difference. He is a hero and talisman that has managed to transcend all the banter about him that started when he came to the club - he's a fantastic footballer and is worth the entrance fee alone, both for his talents and for the lift he gives the support.

Can I put it out there that Ki has been Celtic's best player this season? The boy has been consistently excellent for weeks on end now. He never wastes a ball and some of his passing is tremendous.

I think it's good that your support of your team isn't clouding your judgement.

Seriously, give it a rest. I almost hope he does make his debut and scores a hat-trick of own goals just to shut you up about this 'amazing' centre back. I wanted to see him the squad too but I'm not going to moan about the fact that he's not. He's not a game breaker.

Reynolds should still be getting the nod over the likes of Gary Kenneth. Need to test the water with their potential replacements for Weir, this is the perfect opportunity. That being said Kenneth should be nowhere near a Scotland team, ever.

Archived