Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Except the 'keeper was never going to catch the ball tonight - he went with a missed punch and whacked Edu instead. McGregor would've had the ball in his hands if he'd not had Fortune's challenge impeding his left arm. That's why it was a foul whilst Edu's goal stood. But hey, you aren't going to read this anyway, since my avatar basically translates anything I say to "youz ur shite n ah hate thu cafflicks follo follo" for you.

But Sanchez never simply 'went with a missed punch' - he missed his punch due to the pressure he was under - Edu's presence and his right arm across his throat. He would have got the ball if Edu wasn't challenging and making contact with him, as i'm sure Mcgregor would have too. The fact they're being touched doesn't make it a foul - if it did, we would almost be at the point of football being a completely non-contact sport. I know goalkeepers are afforded an awful lot of protection these days, but claiming that Fortune's was a foul is really taking things to extremes. A free kick is awarded for committing an offence, not as a get-out-of-jail card for keepers when they bottle it and make pathetic attempts, are outjumped by about 3ft and soundly beaten by players with more conviction and better timing.

I'm sure when tonights goal footage is shown, someone could just as easily highlight where the tiny amount of contact takes place from the most favourable angle to suit their agenda, slow it right down to make it appear more substantial, then claim 'foul' ......... but that would be bullshit - just like Fortune's. No incident in football will ever be the same, but the Fortune incident and tonight's were extremely similar and if you're in any way consistent, they were both or neither a foul. The correct answer is the latter.

What's the gibberish in that last sentence all about btw?....

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure when tonights goal footage is shown, someone could just as easily highlight where the tiny amount of contact takes place from the most favourable angle to suit their agenda, slow it right down to make it appear more substantial, then claim 'foul' ......... but that would be bullshit - just like Fortune's.

Okay, I'm going to start with this.

It wouldn't be bullshit. It doesn't matter if it needs to be slowed down, and it doesn't matter how little the contact is. A foul is a foul. McGregor's arm was caught by Fortune and it was this that stopped him catching the ball, and if it wasn't for Fortune's impeding of the arm, Celtic would not have scored. The video posted makes this very clear. It's even in nice slow motion for idiots to understand.

Incidentally, you're right about the foul on the Valencia keeper on watching it again, and it certainly doesn't need to be slowed down, as he certainly had an Edu elbow right in the kisser.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree then. If I see a replay that shows Edu fouling the keeper in the same way as Fortune did, I may be forced to change my mind.

The last sentence would probably apply more to Soapy than you, actually. Sorry.

I resent the implication. Funny how I construct articulate, well thought out posts and still get labelled as a slavering, bigoted retard which would probably be more fitting for the likes of buba3d, workedshoot or TheLostScot (who, while all pretty conspicuous in their absence for the vast majority of the time, will no doubt rear their ugly hides if the result goes Rangers' way on Sunday).

Anyways.

I hope we go with an unchanged line-up from Tannadice. The first 15 minutes of the game are crucial for us, I think. I can see us pinning Rangers back, sustaining serious pressure and creating loads of early chances which they will have to defend with their backs to the wall. We will need to take one of them, as the longer the game goes on, they will get into their groove and wait for their chance(s), of which it is a certainty they will get a few.

The defenders need to be on their A-game. Touchwood, I'm not worried about Forster at all; he seems quite capable of dealing with any half-chances they may create, but he needs protection from his backline. We cannot afford another performance from Loovens like his showing at Ibrox in October last year. He has been a bit better as of late whilst still making the odd mistake: this is his biggest game in a Celtic jersey yet.

Rangers were impressive last night; Valencia took them for mugs, and got sucked into the trap like it seems all European teams do against Walter Smith. When will people learn? Valencia's passing and general performance was piss poor. I don't think I've ever seen a Spanish team look so uncomfortable on the ball. For as well as Rangers played, the finishing was godawful and I don't think they will be presented with as many chances on Sunday.

Cometh the 60th minute, cometh the man:

paddy-mccourt.jpg

In Paddy we trust.

I can't believe people want to arguee about something that happened 6 months ago. What happened, happened.

I was so proud last night. I said at the weekend on Rangers forums that we may not be the most technically gifted team but we fight like fuck and at the end of the day sometimes that gets you more results than other teams who are more attractive to watch. The only downside was the chances we missed. However, i said before the game I'd take a draw and am still delighted we got a point. We had an easier group last year and were made mugs of by sub standard Champions League teams, this season we are really showing what we can be. On this, I'm confident of a wee Europa League run in February.

If we take anything from Valencia over there I will be over the moon.

If we play like we did last night against the mhanky mhob on Sunday, we will steamroller them. However, I can't see it being as open as it was at times last night.

I can't believe people want to arguee about something that happened 6 months ago.

Considering that there's an element of the Old Firm support who continue arguing about a battle that took place a good few hundred years ago, I find that statement to be a tad amusing.

I'm sure when tonights goal footage is shown, someone could just as easily highlight where the tiny amount of contact takes place from the most favourable angle to suit their agenda, slow it right down to make it appear more substantial, then claim 'foul' ......... but that would be bullshit - just like Fortune's.

Okay, I'm going to start with this.

It wouldn't be bullshit. It doesn't matter if it needs to be slowed down, and it doesn't matter how little the contact is. A foul is a foul. McGregor's arm was caught by Fortune and it was this that stopped him catching the ball, and if it wasn't for Fortune's impeding of the arm, Celtic would not have scored. The video posted makes this very clear. It's even in nice slow motion for idiots to understand.

Incidentally, you're right about the foul on the Valencia keeper on watching it again, and it certainly doesn't need to be slowed down, as he certainly had an Edu elbow right in the kisser.

Wow.

Well i suppose you're at least consistent....

Rangers have had a wonderful Champions League campaign so far. Fair enough they "parked the bus" at Old Trafford but they expected a comfortable defeat so went all out for the draw. When playing at Ibrox they've used the 5-4-1 to their advantage by having attacking defenders. Bougherra, Whittaker, Papac and Foster have all been helping in attack.

They will probably regret not winning last night as far as reaching the last 16 goes. I'll be surprised if they get anything away in Valencia. Bursapor will still be hard to beat in Turkey and beating Man Utd at Ibrox would still be a huge effort. Not all is lost but they blew a great chance last night.

Totally punching above their weight. Lafferty was the only option on the bench last night who could've came on and made a difference.

Sunday will be very interesting. I think the amount of Celtic debutants may sway it in Rangers favour. If McCulloch makes it he'll bully and boss the midfield and allow Davis to pull the strings and everyone knows Loovens fears Miller!

Just for the record Haraga. Not saw much of Livi this season but the Third Division has been really entertaining so far. Quality maybe not the best, but there are moments.

Cowdenbeath are the only team this season that have wowed me with their football, but that said, Dunfermline are continuing to get the plaudits for playing the good passing football that they did last season. Cowdenbeath played some brilliant stuff in the second half.

There's always glimpses of good stuff in the lower leagues, but on the whole, the quality is pretty horrible.

I think people missed my point. I wasn't saying Edu's was a foul, I was saying Fortune's wasn't and that Rangers fans were being hypocrites claiming one to be a good goal and the other to be a correctly called foul. They both were perfectly good goals.

I resent the implication. Funny how I construct articulate, well thought out posts and still get labelled as a slavering, bigoted retard which would probably be more fitting for the likes of buba3d, workedshoot or TheLostScot (who, while all pretty conspicuous in their absence for the vast majority of the time, will no doubt rear their ugly hides if the result goes Rangers' way on Sunday).

Anyways..

You're not a slavering retard.

Archived