Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw my first proper Scottish game of the season today.

Celtic looked pretty good, Dundee looked shit (lets just kick the ball off a celtic player and win as many corners as we can).

Penalty decision was shocking to say the least.

That penalty situation at Tannadice was odd today, wasn't it?

I don't think i've seen that happen on many occasions.

As a Celtic fan, what made it more strange is the fact the linesman took position as if it was a penalty and didn't seem to call on the referee at all. It was as if Dougie MacDonald voluntarily went over to speak to his linesman.

If it was just for the keepers challenge, it was a fair enough decision eventually, as he did get the ball. But it looked like the big defender was doing a bit more than just fairly using his strength to hold off Hooper in the lead up to it. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. I didn't know referees could take it upon themselves to give unchallenged drop-balls on the fly though. I'm sure Celtic would have been interested in contesting that one in their box.

I thought the Severin handball was also a half decent shout, his arms were outstretched as he lunged in and i've saw plenty given under those circumstances. The other claim at the opposite side was shite though, the ball just bounced off Dixon's(?) thigh onto his arm, not much he could've done about that.

Houston's post match comments were a bit strange to say the least.

• Paid Members
With acts of violent conduct, there's usually little or no consequences other than a bruise and a couple of stud marks because they tend to just be acts of petulance. It's only rare occasions when someone has to go off injured, but there's at least a sub to come on, and i'm sure the disciplinary committee would take into account any injuries when it comes to dishing out the retrospective ban. Most of the time however, it won't won't have much effect on the game, so it's fair enough to dish out the same punishment afterwards as what the referee would have given at the time if he had seen it. I think in some ways, being calculated and deceitful is lower than momentarily being a dirty bastard. Just about every player will have have made a shocking challenge or had a wee petulant dig at someone at some point or other, but very, very few players ever stoop to Lafferty's level.

Seriously? I can think of loads of players who've done essentially the same thing as Lafferty did, although perhaps not as badly. Lennon did it, Lovenkrands did it, Darren Dodds did it last year to get Kenny Miller sent off which ruled him out of an Old Firm game, McGregor's been on both sides of it, Rivaldo did something similar at World Cup years ago and there's actually a great clip somewhere of, I think, an Olympiakos player and a Galatasaray player trying to do the same thing to each other at the same time.

Truth be told one of the reasons I've never liked Craig Levein is because I remember him helping Murray McDowell con the Ref into sending off an East Fife player back when he was Manager of Cowdenbeath. Imagine the Lafferty incident but if Walter Smith sent the physio on to "make sure he was all right" and that's exactly what happened.

Again, I agree that it deserves punishment I still don't think it deserves double the punishment you'd get for actually kicking somebody.

Well if it's not the last day, it won't be far off it. Can't see either team collapsing or allowing a 10 pt gap or anything to form. Next week's a cracker and i think it's more important for Celtic to win than for Rangers as Celtic have had the more favourable first round of games. If Rangers come out of it with even a draw, they're in a good position for the next couple of months, whilst Celtic have to go to the notoriously difficult places like Tynecastle, Pittodrie and Ibrox.

I agree with this. The League is so tight that it could well be decided by the games at Ibrox and Parkhead. If Rangers can get even a point next week, it'll put a lot of pressure on Celtic. All credit to Lennon though, no matter what happens, I don't see this Celtic team imploding quite the way Mowbray's team did after we stole a point at Parkhead last year.

If it was just for the keepers challenge, it was a fair enough decision eventually, as he did get the ball. But it looked like the big defender was doing a bit more than just fairly using his strength to hold off Hooper in the lead up to it. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. I didn't know referees could take it upon themselves to give unchallenged drop-balls on the fly though. I'm sure Celtic would have been interested in contesting that one in their box.

I thought the Severin handball was also a half decent shout, his arms were outstretched as he lunged in and i've saw plenty given under those circumstances. The other claim at the opposite side was shite though, the ball just bounced off Dixon's(?) thigh onto his arm, not much he could've done about that.

Houston's post match comments were a bit strange to say the least.

I thought that the referee wasn't allowed to give a drop ball in the box but the association rules appear to make no mention of this. Looks like I just imagined it - please ignore!

Thought yesterday's game was maybe the best football match I've seen this season anywhere - it had pretty much everything. Some excellent attacking football, particularly from Celtic (although Dundee Utd had their moments going forward and had a sustained spell of pressure in the first five minutes of the second half), controversy, a white-hot atmosphere and of course - the result and last minute winner always helps.

I was always under the impression that a drop ball needs to be played on the line nearest to the incident - not only was the decision to rescind the penalty to Celtic an absolute joke, but Dougie McDonald placing the ball on the edge of the box when in reality it was MUCH nearer to the six-yard line was ludicrous. It also seemed as if he was instructing the Celtic players not to contest it, and allowed Utd to hoof the ball down the park.

I also thought several other important decisions went against us. Regardless of how soft it was, I thought the one with Ki in their box towards the end of the game was a penalty. If you look at the replay, the Utd defender doesn't even have his eyes on the ball when the obstruction happens. Furthermore, we had a few decent handball shouts that amounted to nothing - if Hooper didn't score, I would have been interested to see if we got a penalty for Kenneth's handball in the lead up to the goal.

Anyways, 3 points earned and a whole lot of team spirit on display. Peter Houston's comments after the match were embarrassing and I hope the old windbag shuts his fucking trap and realises he was beaten by the better team. Onwards to Sunday and hopefully a victory in the Old Firm game.

Haven't seen the incident yet as I had a game myself yesterday but just to clairfy the only place you can't have a drop ball is inside the goal area (6 yard box). If the situation arises where a drop ball is required and the ball was in the 6 yard box it gets taken from the line of the 6 yard box closest to where the ball was, other wise it gets talen from where th eball was when play was stopped. In addition, the referee has no authority to tell the teams what to do as regards to contesting it etc. Although in amateur football I'll often say to the team playing it back to be careful as a goal scored from a drop ball is likely to lead to all sorts of problems, it's just part of controlling the match really and coems under Law 18, common sense. ;me

Willie Collum is the referee for the Celtic VS Rangers match on Sunday.

I can just hear the phone-ins tonight:

5B979679-FACB-DC08-D9764FF38CCEBB7D.jpg

"On a day when Celtic fans delude themselves into cries of CONSPIRACY and CHEATING, the SFA see fit to appoint an RE teacher as the referee for Sunday's Old Firm clash - OH WHAT A PRETTY PICTURE."

Saw my first proper Scottish game of the season today.

Celtic looked pretty good, Dundee looked shit (lets just kick the ball off a celtic player and win as many corners as we can).

Penalty decision was shocking to say the least.

Dundee United.

hooper3.gif

hooper4.gif

hooper.gif

hooper1.gif

Hooper touches it and it's hard to tell if the keeper does. Even if the keeper had touched it, the linesman had 3 men blocking his view and it's still a penalty as he has to come through the man to get the touch. Cringeworthy.

I thought Pernis' touch was VERY clear on the first angle and on the following replays.

If those gifs didn't stall, they'd be the same.

Either way he still has to take the man to get to the ball, and even then it should only have been an advantage played for the Kenneth challenge and then when there was no advantage, a penalty given.

I'd give it for the Kenneth challenge if anything because that's where he loses the advantage and that gave the keeper the chance he needed to get the ball and I don't think he took player after ball either. He made a fair challenge.

The Kenneth challenge is another one of those ones where the refereeing basically encourages diving.

Archived