Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Aye, Lennon puts up with 90 minutes of abuse from 50,000 Rangers fans and responds at the final whistle, after a fine result, as if to say, "I can't hear you now" and he's the idiot.

I don't see the controversy in that, to be honest. Particularly when the chant from the Rangers support at the time was "What's it like to live in fear?"

Weren't you the poster complaining a couple of days ago that nobody discusses the football in here anymore....?

The simple answer to any sane human being on this planet is to leave the morons in the Rangers crowd to enjoy their title hopes being dented.

I watched him applaud the Celtic fans and thought "Lennon has done himself proud today, and his team has got a good result" only for him to act like a tosser afterwards.

Sad.

He made the insignificant gesture of cupping his hands to his ears. For anyone to get upset over that, in light of the things said towards Lennon during the game, says more about them than it does Neil Lennon.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utter, utter bollocks. A man is the victim of terrorism and then is subject to booing and chanting of "what's it like to live in fear", yet responds by cupping his hands to his ears?

People have been waiting to say " he deserves it, brings it on himself". Well, no he doesn't he's got to deal with his family being under threat and all that goes with that so i say he was quite right to say fuck you to the bigots and the haters.

Get the brushes out for No Surrender etc etc as well eh?

Utter, utter bollocks. A man is the victim of terrorism and then is subject to booing and chanting of "what's it like to live in fear", yet responds by cupping his hands to his ears?

People have been waiting to say " he deserves it, brings it on himself". Well, no he doesn't he's got to deal with his family being under threat and all that goes with that so i say he was quite right to say fuck you to the bigots and the haters.

Get the brushes out for No Surrender etc etc as well eh?

Aye, Lennon puts up with 90 minutes of abuse from 50,000 Rangers fans and responds at the final whistle, after a fine result, as if to say, "I can't hear you now" and he's the idiot.

I don't see the controversy in that, to be honest. Particularly when the chant from the Rangers support at the time was "What's it like to live in fear?"

Weren't you the poster complaining a couple of days ago that nobody discusses the football in here anymore....?

The simple answer to any sane human being on this planet is to leave the morons in the Rangers crowd to enjoy their title hopes being dented.

I watched him applaud the Celtic fans and thought "Lennon has done himself proud today, and his team has got a good result" only for him to act like a tosser afterwards.

Sad.

He made the insignificant gesture of cupping his hands to his ears. For anyone to get upset over that, in light of the things said towards Lennon during the game, says more about them than it does Neil Lennon.

Its not insignificant though. People have been making loads of effort to calm Old Firm matches down and there were even suggestions in the media of having games behind close doors if things didn't improve and Lennon effectively undoes all of that work by being thick. Yeah he wants to answer his critics but Old Firm matches arn't just about football, there's so much more of a background. It was stupid, really really stupid.

Well, no he doesn't he's got to deal with his family being under threat and all that goes with that so i say he was quite right to say fuck you to the bigots and the haters.

Well, in the same vein, saying "fuck you" to the bigots and the haters will draw a response from those people, and he'll have to be prepared to live with that.

Sad.

Its not insignificant though. People have been making loads of effort to calm Old Firm matches down and there were even suggestions in the media of having games behind close doors if things didn't improve and Lennon effectively undoes all of that work by being thick. Yeah he wants to answer his critics but Old Firm matches arn't just about football, there's so much more of a background. It was stupid, really really stupid.

It was a hand to an ear. Anyone being offended by that is looking to be offended.

Kyle Lafferty ran half the length of Celtic Park cupping his ear in the first Old Firm game of the season. Picked up that much that no-one remembers it. It was a hand to an ear, get a grip.

It was a hand to an ear. Anyone being offended by that is looking to be offended.

I couldn't agree more, but both you and I know that the kind of people that Lennon has had to deal with in recent times are exactly the type who are looking to be offended.

I stick by my opinion that he should have walked off the park, safe in the knowledge that he had won the tactical battle on the day.

• Paid Members
Kyle Lafferty ran half the length of Celtic Park cupping his ear in the first Old Firm game of the season. Picked up that much that no-one remembers it. It was a hand to an ear, get a grip.

It's not a contest for fuck sake!

Someone sent Neil Lennon a bomb in the post. They tried to kill him. You yourself said you hoped he resigned for his own safety. With that in mind, do you really think it's wise for him to risk provoking those scumbags into trying again?

David is right. Lennon had already got the ultimate "fuck you" to the Rangers fans with the result that means that the League is no longer in our hands. Anything more than that was just stupidity.

It's not a contest for fuck sake!

Someone sent Neil Lennon a bomb in the post. They tried to kill him. You yourself said you hoped he resigned for his own safety. With that in mind, do you really think it's wise for him to risk provoking those scumbags into trying again?

David is right. Lennon had already got the ultimate "fuck you" to the Rangers fans with the result that means that the League is no longer in our hands. Anything more than that was just stupidity.

I wasn't saying it was a contest, I was saying it wasn't a big deal. When Lafferty did it, I and no-one else cared. As Lennon said in his post match interview, it was humour.

• Paid Members
I wasn't saying it was a contest, I was saying it wasn't a big deal. When Lafferty did it, I and no-one else cared. As Lennon said in his post match interview, it was humour.

Well the fact you brought it up again says you did care. The point David made was not that he was angered by it, he just knows that some people are fucking stupid and will use it against him, it may even motivate them to put his family in danger again.

As Lennon said in his post match interview, it was humour.

Perhaps now isn't quite the time for humour?

Any other derby around the world and humour doesn't matter. From my perspective as an outsider I just don't see any camaraderie(sp) in the Old Firm fans, no space for humour, light heartedness or banter. Just out dated hatred and resentment. I may be wrong of course but for me it ruins the whole derby experience, id prefer a Milan, London or Manchester derby over it any time as whilst there's always a hatred between teams its rarely ever taken too far whilst with The Old Firm it is nearly always taken too far.

• Paid Members
As Lennon said in his post match interview, it was humour.

Perhaps now isn't quite the time for humour?

Any other derby around the world and humour doesn't matter. From my perspective as an outsider I just don't see any camaraderie(sp) in the Old Firm fans, no space for humour, light heartedness or banter. Just out dated hatred and resentment. I may be wrong of course but for me it ruins the whole derby experience, id prefer a Milan, London or Manchester derby over it any time as whilst there's always a hatred between teams its rarely ever taken too far whilst with The Old Firm it is nearly always taken too far.

You just need to look at this thread for proof. Granted not all Old Firm fans are so into hating the other that they'll make shit up and jump on anything that gives them a reason to further fuel the hate. But there is a large amount that are proper hardcore. Then in that group are a few that think sending life threatening messages is the done thing for a wee game o' fitbaw.

Archived