Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

No way you made that up. It looks like the guy knew how to type.

It was a good wee game of football. The extra time was fairly miserable, but the 90 minutes were incredibly engaging stuff. I think they managed to make a memorable game for the RIGHT reasons this time out.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Nice to that see that the Rangers players behaved themselves as well. Ledley and Samaras both tried to kick off at times during the game but, no one took the bait. Far cry from the last game.

All in all a really good game. I was a bit disappointed with Edu and Jelavic (who dived like fuck, although at least he was convincing most of the time) but everybody else played well. I thought the decision to bring Weiss on so late was a great move since Celtic's defense was so poor. They really missed Majstorovic. Mulgrew, Rogne and Loovens all had bad games and Mulgrew was pretty lucky to escape a red card.

No real complaints about the Referee. Both sides had decent shouts for penalties but I think Thomson had a good enough game.

I know it's just the Diddy Cup but, I still think this is a massive win for Rangers, especially given our performances in the last few Old Firm games. Hopefully we can keep that level of performance up for the League as well.

I was at the game. It's a real shame Samaras wasn't. :( We were pretty poor all round. Shaky as hell in defence and aimless going forward. We just weren't sharp enough at all.

Ultimate credit goes to the Celtic U13 keeper at half time. If you were at th game, you know what I'm talking abouy. That kid has balls of steel.

Bringing Diouf on at the end was just cheeky. He's just thoroughly objectionable.

And finally, if we're serious about ending SCOTLAND'S SECRET SHAME, I look forward to 25,000 arrests for incitement to religious hatred tomorrow. I'm not daft though. We all know the story will be that the game passed off without serious incident.

• Paid Members
Bringing Diouf on at the end was just cheeky. He's just thoroughly objectionable.

Yeah, first twenty seconds he gets a booking for diving. Not even in the box too. Unbelievable.

What happened to the Celtic U13's GK? It sounds rather sore.

They did a thing where 5 of each team's under 13s took a run from the halfway line and tried to score. The kid had to stand in front of the Rangers fans, most of whom seemed to be booing him loudly. But when he made a save, he jumped to his feet, turned to face them, and "did the Broonie." Fucking gallus. :D

They did a thing where 5 of each team's under 13s took a run from the halfway line and tried to score. The kid had to stand in front of the Rangers fans, most of whom seemed to be booing him loudly. But when he made a save, he jumped to his feet, turned to face them, and "did the Broonie." Fucking gallus. :D

:laugh:

Good on him. That's gonna live with him for a long time.

Not much I can say that unfitfinlay hasn't said, except that I'm made up with that win. It's not even so much the cup, though that is of course important - it's the psychological boost. Whittaker became a surprisingly good emergency centre back towards the end; Davis was finally back on form and was all over the game; Wylde is a great talent and will surely be an asset to our team for years to come; Jelavic's goal was a cool finish even if there was a little luck involved. Was also good to see Naismith back in the team - it's clear how much of a difference he makes, especially with Miller gone.

Slightly amusing to see Diouf come on and be booked within 20secs; trust him. Was made up that he didn't start or even play a part, although I had to laugh that he did 'The Broonie' when he picked up the cup though, piss funny.

As an aside, it's worth mentioning what a good job Craig Thomson did today. He missed a potential penalty for each team but other than that, he and his assistants got everything pretty much bang on.

The Jelavic diving incident? Who in the hell made the decision? Craig Thomson gave a penalty, I guess it was his linesman who advised him otherwise? If so, he's got really good eye sight to see such a dive from 40 yards away!

Who really cares? The correct decision was made in the end.

I was also at the game. Looking at the Celtic team, our players clearly thought this was going to be a stroll. I've not seen any replays but Forster could have easily saved Rangers' first, he went down in slow motion. However I don't know how good it looked on TV but from my view, his save from Jelavic's free kick was world class. I honestly think though that it wasn't as good a Rangers performance as it was as bad a Celtic performance considering how good we've seen this team play this season.

Loving the treble jokes, hilarious considering Rangers' treble was fucked 3 weeks ago.

I was at the game. It's a real shame Samaras wasn't. :( We were pretty poor all round. Shaky as hell in defence and aimless going forward. We just weren't sharp enough at all.

Ultimate credit goes to the Celtic U13 keeper at half time. If you were at th game, you know what I'm talking abouy. That kid has balls of steel.

And finally, if we're serious about ending SCOTLAND'S SECRET SHAME, I look forward to 25,000 arrests for incitement to religious hatred tomorrow. I'm not daft though. We all know the story will be that the game passed off without serious incident.

I am still astonished at the Green Brigade's persitence of bringing smoke bombs into grounds despite being told not to. Not saying our supporters were just as bad ( I had a pretty decent view of both sets of fans doing things that they shouldn't).

Either way, I'm happy at the result, game went by without major incident really, but still some elements of both fans acting stupid.

I am still astonished at the Green Brigade's persitence of bringing smoke bombs into grounds despite being told not to. Not saying our supporters were just as bad ( I had a pretty decent view of both sets of fans doing things that they shouldn't).

Either way, I'm happy at the result, game went by without major incident really, but still some elements of both fans acting stupid.

Unbelievably petty considering Rangers fans have continued to sing The Famine Song despite 3 years of being told not to.

Unbelievably petty considering Rangers fans have continued to sing The Famine Song despite 3 years of being told not to.

The famine song doesn't cause people with breathing difficulties to have problems. I aint saying it's right, I'm saying from a H&S point of view, I'd be nice if they heeded the warnings, is all.

EDIT: also, I was saying that both sets of supporters were just as bad as each other today. Wasn't any major issues from where I was standing though. Still some disgusting things from both sides.

The famine song doesn't cause people with breathing difficulties to have problems. I aint saying it's right, I'm saying from a H&S point of view, I'd be nice if they heeded the warnings, is all.

You can take the warnings and fuck right off as far as I'm concerned. It's football, not snooker. Fuck health & safety.

I'm sick of hearing about how the last Old Firm game shamed Scottish football around the world, and seeing jobsworth stewards trying to kill any attempt to inject an atmosphere into the games.

I'm sure that the rest of Europe was looking at the Scottish cup replay between Celtic & Rangers with a disgusted look on their face. Especially those who follow & run the game in Italy;

manuriotG0504_468x353.jpg

roma_1365182c.jpg

3071.jpg

Meanwhile, the memo about those nasty flares and the health & safety regulations must not have gotten through to Germany yet;

fcstpauli2.jpg

1230271315-19092010145941.jpg

Or Italy;

Milan5.jpg

roma_fans.JPG

Or Spain;

flares460276.jpg

And don't even get me started on the terrific atmosphere at South American football games;

boca-juniors-flare_1719939i.jpg

BocaViolenceFans-375x281.jpg

You can take the warnings and fuck right off as far as I'm concerned. It's football, not snooker. Fuck health & safety.

I'm sick of hearing about how the last Old Firm game shamed Scottish football around the world, and seeing jobsworth stewards trying to kill any attempt to inject an atmosphere into the games.

Firstly, I'm not a jobsworth steward. I am part of the first aid/medical team at grounds, and when you've got someone having severe breathing difficulties aggravated by those flares (Not to mention at a previous game, someone with an allergic reaction). It makes you think.

I'm all for injecting a bit of atmosphere in games, and, I feel most OF games go without incident. As I said previously, if Ally/Lenny's little spat hadn't happened, nothing woulda been said at the end of the last game, and another OF game would just have "Happened".

Other countries use flares with great aplomb, and fair play to them, it's all fairly impressive.

Supporters groups here however, have been asked not use them, and when people around the area start having a reaction to them thats a different story.

Also, there are FAR worse football games in Europe than there are in scotland. I think the OF influence in crime is somewhat exaggerated, and in terms of the stadium, it's a lot better than some derbies the world over. The police just like to use the OF as a scapegoat, cos it's an easy target, but at the same time, some groups of supporters on both sides bring it on themselves.

And RE: sectarian singing.. People were getting arrested for it. And the stewards/police were being pro-active with arrests and ejections..

Archived