Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

For the price of Laugherty or Jela, we coulda had the likes of Hooper, Iziguerie (for the record one of the best in the SPL, bargain), and Kayal and still have money to spare.

I still think Jela has the best to come, don't get me wrong, but, you can't argue with the stats.

We need a new scouting network. If Celtic can find those gems and get 'em on the cheap. Kudos to them.

Whoever scouted Lafferty needs to be sacked.

He has as far as i am aware. Was one of Ewan Chesters' last big money recommendations before the pennies dried up, pretty sure he left for Norwich as chief scout a year or so back after being at Rangers for as long as i can remember.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ally McCoist confirmed as taking over as manager of Rangers at the end of the season.

Rangers have confirmed for the first time that Ally McCoist will take over as manager when Walter Smith steps down at the end of the season.

Assistant manager McCoist has been groomed as Smith's successor since the pair returned to Ibrox in January 2007.

The Glasgow club have called a media conference for 1615 GMT to formally announce the appointment.

McCoist has agreed a one-year rolling contract, with number three Kenny McDowall to become his assistant.

Smith had announced earlier this season that this would be his last as manager at Ibrox.

And he expressed his wish that assistant McCoist, who scored 355 goals in 581 appearances for the club, would become his successor.

McCoist told Rangers' website: "It was an honour to pull on the Rangers jersey during my playing career.

When I offered him the position in December - during our Champions League trip to Bursaspor - he agreed immediately

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain

"I have enjoyed working with Walter, Kenny McDowall, Ian Durrant and the backroom team as assistant manager and to be confirmed as the next Rangers manager is a dream come true.

"Over the past few years, I have been privileged to learn from one of the greatest managers in world football and Walter's record speaks for itself.

"The success he brought to Rangers during nine-in-a-row and the last four years in difficult times has been unbelievable and he has rightly gained the respect of everyone in the game.

"I am delighted to be following in his footsteps and I will do everything possible to bring further success to this club.

"I have said it many times - Rangers is a special club with a great history and tradition and this is the proudest day of my career.

"The fans have backed me for almost 20 years as a player and assistant manager and, as a lifelong Rangers supporter myself, I look forward to rewarding their loyalty by bringing silverware to our club."

The announcement comes three days after a 3-0 defeat by Celtic that leaves the reigning champions eight points adrift of the Scottish Premier League leaders.

However, Rangers chief executive Martin Bain stressed that McCoist had been told he had the job in December.

"We are delighted to confirm Ally as our next manager when Walter Smith steps down at the end of the season," he said.

"First and foremost, Ally is a passionate Rangers supporter who has been a loyal servant to the club both as a player and more recently assistant manager.

"He has contributed greatly to our success over the past four years and that is why we feel he is the right man to replace Walter.

"When Ally joined Walter as his assistant in January 2007, he was always being groomed as the next manager.

"He is the unanimous choice of the Rangers board to take the club forward next season and, when I offered him the position in December - during our Champions League trip to Bursaspor - he agreed immediately.

"Walter Smith is rightly regarded as one of the most successful managers in our proud history and what he has achieved during the nine-in-a-row years and more recently in his second spell as manager is nothing short of remarkable.

"I am sure the supporters would join me in thanking him for his commitment and loyalty and I know he will work tirelessly to continue the club's success in the remaining months of the campaign."

Smith considered stepping down last summer after leading Rangers to a second successive title.

However, he stayed on to help the club through their financial troubles, which saw him unable to buy a player for almost two years.

McCoist's succession has been expected but never formally announced amid uncertainty over recent takeover interest.

Scottish tycoon Craig Whyte has been studying the club's accounts for several months with a view to making an offer.

We all knew this was 99% going to happen, but I find the timing of the announcement a bit strange? Behind the scenes, it must be known that there is no saviour in on the horizon. Several sources say the Craig Whyte story is a complete non-starter and this looks to confirm it.

funny how everybody seems to think mccoist takes the cup games, yet we play the same style week in week out regardless if its cup, league, europe, friendlies, i think this is to take the heat off walter if things go wrong.

ally will get my 100% backing

• Paid Members
:laugh:

Bitter much?

I thought Dingbat was right about Celtic not being great. They didn't play anywhere near as well as in the Cup game. They are just so much better than Rangers that it's ridiculous though, even in second gear. They are stubborn and aggressive all over the pitch and Lennon has brought in game changing players. It's a joy to watch.

Kyle Lafferty is a joke. I first saw him playing for Burnley at Hull in the last game of the 05/06 season. It was a crap, dead rubber, end of season game but he had about 6 chances to run one on one with the 'keeper and missed them all. It was obvious from that one game what he's about, good athlete, height and pace but absolutely brainless and laughable in front of goal. I couldn't believe it when Rangers paid

Bitter much?

I thought Dingbat was right about Celtic not being great. They didn't play anywhere near as well as in the Cup game. They are just so much better than Rangers that it's ridiculous though, even in second gear. They are stubborn and aggressive all over the pitch and Lennon has brought in game changing players. It's a joy to watch.

Kyle Lafferty is a joke. I first saw him playing for Burnley at Hull in the last game of the 05/06 season. It was a crap, dead rubber, end of season game but he had about 6 chances to run one on one with the 'keeper and missed them all. It was obvious from that one game what he's about, good athlete, height and pace but absolutely brainless and laughable in front of goal. I couldn't believe it when Rangers paid

Bitter much?

It's amazing how much we've missed big "elbows" McCulloch aswell. Say what you want about his game but we've certainly missed his physical side in the last 2 games.

That big lump of wood from Arsenal was quite McCulloch-esque in the first two minutes though.

I'm really enjoying watching Celtic at the moment and they definitely are in pole position, but i'm finding the hysteria coming from Rangers fans in recent days to be absolutely mental. They're only in effect 2 points behind with one more OF game remaining, and they have home advantage in it. Celtic are clearly proving themselves to be the better football team, but that doesn't matter much to Rangers because they don't have to play Celtic every week. As bad as they are, they can still comfortably grind out wins against the wee teams, and anything can happen in a one-off game at Ibrox regardless of form. They've had their two trips to Tynecastle, and Dundee Utd will probably be just as tired with their backlog by the time the Tannadice games come around. Other than maybe a trip to Pittodrie, everything else they have should be pretty routine. It's incredibly fickle from them - at least when we were up in arms at this time last year it was justified by the fact we were a legit 10 points behind and had a manager who clearly didn't have a clue what he was doing.

I probably should be a lot more confident than i am, because that's close to two months we've managed to sustain some pretty great form, so it's unlikely to be just a random purple patch. But thanks to those silly dropped points v the likes of Dundee Utd, Killie, and Inverness at home, we haven't really been able to create as much of a gap as we should've, and it probably won't widen much further until the end of the season. I'm even a bit apprehensive about this game on Sunday - that ploughed field could very well be a bit of an equaliser.

• Paid Members
As bad as they are, they can still comfortably grind out wins against the wee teams, and anything can happen in a one-off game at Ibrox regardless of form. They've had their two trips to Tynecastle, and Dundee Utd will probably be just as tired with their backlog by the time the Tannadice games come around. Other than maybe a trip to Pittodrie, everything else they have should be pretty routine. It's incredibly fickle from them - at least when we were up in arms at this time last year it was justified by the fact we were a legit 10 points behind and had a manager who clearly didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Let's hope so! lolrangers.gif

Seriously though the league is far from finished. I still think Celtic will win the league but it won't be decided anytime soon.

As bad as they are, they can still comfortably grind out wins against the wee teams, and anything can happen in a one-off game at Ibrox regardless of form. They've had their two trips to Tynecastle, and Dundee Utd will probably be just as tired with their backlog by the time the Tannadice games come around. Other than maybe a trip to Pittodrie, everything else they have should be pretty routine. It's incredibly fickle from them - at least when we were up in arms at this time last year it was justified by the fact we were a legit 10 points behind and had a manager who clearly didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Let's hope so! lolrangers.gif

Seriously though the league is far from finished. I still think Celtic will win the league but it won't be decided anytime soon.

Yeah, i suppose in fairness i haven't came across many of them actually chucking it as such, but in true rangers fashion, their reactions are all way overblown and out of proportion. They were the same a couple of years ago with all that 'we deserve better' shite in a season when they won the league.

I'm cautiously optimistic of Celtic winning too, but i'm not so daft to think it's going to be a dozen straight wins whilst Rangers capitulate and throw away points every 2nd week. Take the OF games out of it, and they've actually got a better record against the other 10 than us this season.

I see you're starting to look better for a top 6 finish these days too, i think that means we'd have another visit up your way....

• Paid Members
I see you're starting to look better for a top 6 finish these days too, i think that means we'd have another visit up your way....

Yeah, I'm not too sure we'll make the top 6. If we do it'll be a last minute scrape to get in there - hopefully at Motherwells expense! :)

As I've said already in here I'm sick of the sight of Celtic already this season.

Yeah, I'm not too sure we'll make the top 6. If we do it'll be a last minute scrape to get in there - hopefully at Motherwells expense! :)

You can start talking like that when you're good enough to stop us taking all three points from you at Pittodrie ;)

Archived