Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I guess the question to ask is should a scream of pain count as a verbal submission. I don’t think it should and I think it’s quite ridiculous that screaming in pain, often an involuntary act, counts as wilfully giving up. I think you should be able to scream in pain as much as you want to and that submitting should be kept to physically tapping out or verbally saying that you tap.

Of course it should! You've clearly never been put in a situation where you can't use your hands to tap. Sometimes a scream of pain is all that you can muster, not "excuse me kind sir, I tap out"

That's slightly different to what happened in the Warren fight though. Not sure if you saw it, but in that fight Warren could easily have tapped he just decided not to. The inference being that he would rather have his leg broken than tap out. Either way he loses the fight, but when the ref stops he it gets saved from the injury.

• Paid Members

just caught up on the shows...

no love for Gaethje/Palomino? Easily a fight of the year contender. Some fights just can't fail to deliver and this was always going to be one, just an epic slugfest between two granite tough muthafuckers. 2 insane rounds, followed by Gaethje finally shutting Palomino down in round 3 with leg kicks, they said it on commentary but it really was a last man standing situation, they swung until one man dropped. If you had any kind of love for a fight like Korean Zombie/Leonard Garcia get on this...i wanna see a rematch.

Speaking of FOTY candidates, LC Davis/Hideo Tokoro deserves a shout as well, great fight. The pace was as frantic as the WSOF main event but it was way more technical. Gotta love a guy like Tokoro, aggressive and takes chances, he rolls for submissions and is always trying to finish a fight, that's the kind of fighter i like to see. Neither guy deserved to lose. I leaned towards Tokoro in the decision but there's no complaints from me.

Joe Warren's loss was justified...McCarthey's waiting for a tap in that situation, that knee bar was locked in and if a guy screams in pain it's as good as tapping, he probably saved Warren from having his knee ripped apart too. Warren will likely bag a trilogy fight based on the ending so it aint all bad for the guy.

Thought both shows were very solid!

I guess the question to ask is should a scream of pain count as a verbal submission. I don’t think it should and I think it’s quite ridiculous that screaming in pain, often an involuntary act, counts as wilfully giving up. I think you should be able to scream in pain as much as you want to and that submitting should be kept to physically tapping out or verbally saying that you tap.

Of course it should! You've clearly never been put in a situation where you can't use your hands to tap. Sometimes a scream of pain is all that you can muster, not "excuse me kind sir, I tap out"

That's slightly different to what happened in the Warren fight though. Not sure if you saw it, but in that fight Warren could easily have tapped he just decided not to. The inference being that he would rather have his leg broken than tap out. Either way he loses the fight, but when the ref stops he it gets saved from the injury.

Not yet. Prob watch it at the weekend.

In situations like that the refs sometimes have to save the fighters from themselves, be it not tapping to subs or being out on their feet.

• Paid Members

Another weekend, another Bellator show that nobody seems to give a shit about. :p

b136.jpg

Bellator 136

Lightweight Title: Will Brooks© vs. Dave Jansen
Joe Schilling vs. Rafael Carvalho
Marcin Held vs. Alexander Sarnavskiy
Alexander Volkov vs. Tony Johnson

Prelims

Fabrício Guerreiro vs. John Teixeira
Saad Awad vs. Rob Sinclair
Joey Beltran vs. Brian Rogers
Jay Bogan vs. Justin Governale

I like these shows because I basically don't know any of the fighters. I've only been following the UFC for a few years but I'm already at the point where I know the recent history of 90% of the fighters on a card. Will Brooks might as well be the random bloke that hot desks next to me at work, for all I know. Every card is like a film with a new cast to me. Wikipedia tells me Brooks is 16-1 as a pro with an avenged win for his loss and Jansen is 20-2 on a 7 fight win streak. Sounds like a fight with a lot of potential to me!

What's the deal with Joe Schilling? I know him as the corner man of Nick Diaz. :p His MMA (and to a lesser degree even his kick boxing) record doesn't look too special but his is a name that stands out for some reason. Carvalho on the other hand is on a 10 fight streak. Looks one-sided to me.

• Paid Members

What's the deal with Joe Schilling? I know him as the corner man of Nick Diaz. :p His MMA (and to a lesser degree even his kick boxing) record doesn't look too special but his is a name that stands out for some reason. Carvalho on the other hand is on a 10 fight streak. Looks one-sided to me.

Schilling is an exciting fighter. He's been on some of the GLORY cards and had some cracking fights, made it to the finals of the excellent Last Man Standing tournament last summer.

You might remember me gushing over his awesome fight with Simon Marcus on here. If not...

Like I said though, the Schilling vs Marcus quarter final stole the show. Even on an awesome show like this, it stole the show. Absolutely tremendous stuff. You could tell right away what kind of fight it'd be the way they came out with pure aggression. So many ups and downs. Schilling came out looking like a handful but once Marcus weathered it he started putting a bit of a show on. Then the way he dropped Schilling in the corner looked like it was going to lead to the end but Schilling somehow recovered and lasted to the final buzzer. At that point I had it the same as the judges, a draw with Marcus taking a 10-8 round for the knockdown. So we get a final fourth extra round, Marcus comes out guns blazing and...

WhimsicalInbornBluefish.gif

Schilling lays him out cold!

Sweet revenge for Schilling as well. He was 0-2 to Simon Marcus going in. And that KO, in the final round, was Marcus' first loss and ended a 40 fight unbeaten streak. Amazing.

I was rooting for Schilling to go all the way after that. How could you not? Although I thought he was a bit fortunate to get the decision over Barrett in the semis. Levin was just too much in the final. After the war with Marcus, a tough three rounds against Barrett, you could see Schilling just wasn't firing on all cylinders. Great tournament.

He was also on Joe Rogan's podcast recently, worth a listen. Here's a clip of them talking about Nick Diaz vs Anderson Silva, and the Diaz brothers in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=-KJj7coxPro

I love Schilling's story at around 8:30 of the first time he met/sparred Nick. The impression of Nick he does is spot on as well!

• Paid Members

I give a shit chunk!

Quality card, good prelims too. Awad/Sinclair, Beltran/Rogers are guaranteed fireworks.

:p

Is this one of the Bellator "tent pole" events? How can you tell if it's a smaller show or a big show?

With UFC it's easy: PPV = big, Fox = medium, Fight Pass = small.

• Paid Members

little more on this weekend's Bellator, it should be worth a watch Chunk...

Will Brooks is probably the most underrated Lightweight in the sport...two wins over Michael Chandler prove that, yet he doesn't get anything like the same amount of kudos as Chandler. Dave Jansen is getting his shot off the back of holding a tournament win which Bellator are honouring, he's 7-0 in Bellator but he's been pretty inactive. I expect Brooks to impose his will on him and pick up the win though, Brooks is a big ass lightweight.

Joe Schilling's record isn't stellar, but he's popular due to his fighting style basically. He was recognised as the top full Muay Thai rules fighter in the US but transitioned to straight kickboxing and MMA for the money's, Bellator sure aint giving him easy fights to break into the sport though, stylistically good but high level opponents.

Held/Tiger Sarnavskiy is a classic striker vs. grappler fight. Marcin Held is one of the most exciting submission fighters in the game, he's one of those guys who wants it on the floor but attacks always, outstanding heel hooks and lots of fun to watch. Sannavisky is all aggression so this fight pretty much can't not be anything other than exciting.

Alexander Volkov is the former Bellator Heavyweight champ, not the most imposing looking heavyweight but he's tall, lean and is handy as fuck on the feet. Tony Johnson i've seen fight a few times, he's mixed in some decent company, just a big fucking lump who'll likely want to put Volkov on his back and keep him there.

I used to be proper into all the Bellator cards. But I started working Saturday mornings and I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of catching up. So fell out of interest. Usually just watch when King Mo fights these days.

Don't work Saturday mornings anymore and theres a few guys on this card I recognise. So will probably check this out. 

I like the look of Will Brooks. Was quite surprised when he beat Chandler twice (who I rate very highly) so this main event could be a good scrap.