Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Never heard of him but just googled his name. This him?...

4547859655_pre.jpg

Sherdog has him as 8-2, 4 KOs/4 Subs. Fought and lost at BAMMA 5. Hasn't fought since 2012 though.

he was also on Bellators Fightmaster recently. I believe he is still in contract with them.

And Seanz the capacity was 850. We had 700+ in there..

• Paid Members

Glory 17 this weekend, ive annoyingly caught spoilers for the last two shows, it won't happen this time:

xZjAAIC.jpg

card's here, looks like Crocop doesn't make the TV broadcast :(

oh and if you want MMA, World Series of Fighting 10 goes on...

t6clWRV.jpg

David Branch vs. Jesse Taylor (for inaugural middleweight title)

Georgi Karakhanyan vs. Rick Glenn (for featherweight title)

Jessica Aguilar vs. Emi Fujino (for women's strawweight title)

Luiz Firmino vs. Tyson Griffin

Nick LoBosco vs. Lance Palmer

it feels like a bit of a stop gap until WSOF 11 in July which is by far the superior show on paper, but regardless i'll tune in. Not sure 3 title fights on a card is ever a good idea, but you never know.

think i'll always tune in for a Tyson Griffin fight and expect him to live up to the hype :laugh:

• Paid Members

Breakdown of the Glory show - for anyone interested.

get involved.

There was a Taichi Palace Fights show last night that had two notable little fights on there, Eddie Yagin returned and dropped a decision to Diego Saraiva...Yagin you may remember had to step away from MMA after suffering a brain injury following a win over Mark Hominick in the UFC. I wasn't aware that he'd actually been cut, i just assumed he'd retired. Sucks that he lost, but it's good that Eddie's good health wise. That Hominick fight was quality.

oh and the other thing was, Olaf Alfonso returned!! 5 years since his last fight (5 fucking years!!), proper cult hero of the MMA diehard. He lost via TKO and apparently took a bit of a beating, which sadly is as advertised really :( but still, OLAF!!!

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

I think its just me and you watching GLORY at the minute Ebb. Anyone on the fence, give it a go. This weekends two shows are great. It's the perfect time to jump in. Really exciting fights, great production values, good commentary. GLORY always put on a show.

The good news as well is, with no UFC on this week, both GLORY shows are on live on BT Sport 2. In one big fuck off block from 1am-7am. Get it Sky+'d.

GLORY 17 - 1AM - BT SPORTS 2

TBA vs TBA - Featherweight Contender Final

Mirko Cro Cop vs Jarrell Miller

Andy Ristie vs Ky Hollenbeck

Marcus Vinicius vs Shane Oblonsky - Featherweight Contender Semi-Final

Gabriel Varga vs Yodkhunpon Sitmonchai - Featherweight Contender Semi-Final

GLORY: LAST MAN STANDING - 3AM - BT SPORTS 2

Daniel Ghita vs Rico Verhoeven - Vacant Heavyweight Title

TBA vs TBA - Middleweight Final

Marc de Bonte vs Joseph Valtellini - Welterweight Title

TBA vs TBA - Middleweight Semi-Final

TBA vs TBA - Middleweight Semi-Final

Alex Pereira vs Artem Levin - Middleweight Quarter Final

Joe Schilling vs Simon Marcus - Middleweight Quarter Final

Wayne Barrett vs Bogdan Stoica - Middleweight Quarter Final

Melvin Manhoef vs Filip Verlinden - Middleweight Quarter Final

We're getting all of that live! Can't wait. The middleweight tournament is going to be awesome. Ghita vs Verhoeven is a great main event, Andy Ristie is always worth a watch and I'll always tune in for Cro Cop no matter how much he declines. And Manhoef is probably in my top 5 fighters to watch ever. Bit of everything on these cards. Big guys, little guys, legends, rising stars.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I only just found out that we're getting everything. What would usually be the prelims is being promoted as a separate GLORY 17 card leading into the Last Man Standing show.

I didn't realise either that Cro Cop was originally supposed to face Pat Barry on this show. Then Sergei Kharitonov but Sergei got hurt.

While we're talking GLORY, Duke Roufus was on Joe Rogan's podcast yesterday. Should be a great listen given his history in kickboxing, his work with GLORY and his time as a trainer in MMA as coach of the Pettis brothers, Askren, Pat Barry etc. I'm going to whack this on at work tonight. No doubt he'll be talking a lot about this weekend's GLORY shows so it's a good way get familiar with some of the lesser known fighters and hyped up more.

I think its just me and you watching GLORY at the minute Ebb. Anyone on the fence, give it a go.

As you can imagine, I'm watching :D

I just don't really have enough time to post about it, what with all these UFC shows recently, as well as the world cup and boxing. I'll try to get more involved though, I promise.

• Paid Members

GLORY was fucking brilliant. Only Ghita vs Verhoeven disappointed and even that heated up nicely towards the end. If you're not going to watch it all, then at least make sure you track down the Joe Schilling vs Simon Marcus fight.

It was a really fun show top-to-bottom. Right from the off the featherweight tournament fights were excellent. Shane Oblonsky vs Marcos Vinicius fight especially was great. Seek that out if you're just after the best fights from the show.

Andy Ristie looked like a killer. Making quick work of a tough guy with a lot of fights like Hollenbeck in 35 seconds or whatever it was was mental. I'd love to see Ristie vs Kiria 2. The first fight was awesome.

Cro Cop vs Miller wasn't great but you can't really expect great fights from Cro Cop in 2014. He's seriously operating at about 60% or less than his prime it seems. The speed has gone, the explosion in his strikes is diminished, and he still beat Miller fairly comfy just on his experience and timing. Imagine what the Cro Cop of 2004 with all the speed and power would've done to this guy. I love Cro Cop. I wish he'd retire but I'll always tune in to watch if he's fighting. Don't know why Miller looked all outraged when the decision was read, I thought Mirko definitely won at least two rounds.

Manhoef fought hard but he was always up against it. Oldest guy in the tournament, shortest guy in the tournament, shortest reach in the tournament, and in with a good lanky fighter who towered over him in the first round. Still had his moments. Wayne Barrett's Fedor-Arlovski style KO was great. Artem Levin was just a bit too good for everyone. He showed he was the favourite going in for a reason.

The De Bonte vs Valtellini welterweight title fight was excellent. Not sure about the decision. By this point I'd watched so many fights in a row my judging can't have been far off Albuquerque levels of incompetence. But for what that's worth I felt like De Bonte did enough at the back end of the fight to retain his title. For him to come back from that headkick was incredible. He got laid out flat as a pancake and amazingly fought better after that and got better as it went on. Even scoring a knockdown himself. Great fight.

Like I said though, the Schilling vs Marcus quarter final stole the show. Even on an awesome show like this, it stole the show. Absolutely tremendous stuff. You could tell right away what kind of fight it'd be the way they came out with pure aggression. So many ups and downs. Schilling came out looking like a handful but once Marcus weathered it he started putting a bit of a show on. Then the way he dropped Schilling in the corner looked like it was going to lead to the end but Schilling somehow recovered and lasted to the final buzzer. At that point I had it the same as the judges, a draw with Marcus taking a 10-8 round for the knockdown. So we get a final fourth extra round, Marcus comes out guns blazing and...

WhimsicalInbornBluefish.gif

Schilling lays him out cold!

Sweet revenge for Schilling as well. He was 0-2 to Simon Marcus going in. And that KO, in the final round, was Marcus' first loss and ended a 40 fight unbeaten streak. Amazing.

I was rooting for Schilling to go all the way after that. How could you not? Although I thought he was a bit fortunate to get the decision over Barrett in the semis. Levin was just too much in the final. After the war with Marcus, a tough three rounds against Barrett, you could see Schilling just wasn't firing on all cylinders. Great tournament.

So yeah, Oblonsky vs Vinicius and De Bonte vs Valtellini were both excellent. But Schilling vs Marcus is a fight everyone needs to see.

Loved the overall production again of the show as well. Lack of post-fight interviews is all I'd like to have seen. But I think Ron Kruck and Duke Roufus are a really good commentary team. Luke Thomas is pretty good as the backstage interview guy. The GLORY girls are fit. They even dug up Stephen Quadros! I really liked that little table of Schiavello, Quadros and Bonjasky. The whole show felt important and different from their usual shows.

Great seeing the likes of Gene Simmons and Dolph Lungdren there as well. Joe Rogan looked like he was loving it as well.

As far as PPV debuts go, it couldn't have gone any better really. I hope it was as much a success in buys as it was as an entertaining show to watch. I enjoyed it more than any UFC card so far this year, to be honest.