Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Don't quote like a breast mate. To answer your question, no, this is a separate promotion to Bellator so it won't be on VIVA. It's just the Bellator shows on there. I'd be interested to know if the Bellator PPV will be on VIVA, I'm guessing so. They won't expect us to pay on Primetime or something surely?

Yeah Ebb, Tyson looked pretty good against Efrain but you could tell it was a bit of a 'getting back on the horse' performance. I'm expecting a better showing from him now he's settled in at AKA and knocked the rust off.

I love Tyrone Spong as well. Fucking beast. If he can get a good sprawl down and gradually tighten up his grappling, he could be the Cro Cop of this decade.

• Paid Members

If UFC could get Askren in and have him fight a couple of guys that he can dominate on the ground, then do his cocky promos, I reckon the combination of his clash of personalities with GSP, and the fact people would be arguing about whether he'd be able to outwrestle GSP or would be humiliated by him, could lead to a decent buyrate. Could be tricky finding the right opponents to set it up though.

• Paid Members

Dan Hardy would be a perfect one. A weakness for wrestling but also a fairly big name and would give as good as he got in the pre-fight build up. Problem here is Hardy's heart condition and him seemingly not being that fussed about MMA anymore. Nick Diaz would be another, although more risky than Hardy, with Diaz's BJJ and boxing. The combination of Diaz and Askren could be gold for hype, but the fight might be shit. Kampmann is another who I could see Askren possibly controlling to win on points. Paul Daley would have been another had they re-signed him.

If Askren came in and beat Hardy, Kampmann and Diaz, I could see them doing the GSP fight. But this is all moot most likely because I can't see Dana wanting him unless just to show they can as a 'fuck you' to Bellator. And if they did sign him, I'd don't think he'd get favourable match-ups. They'd probably match him with tough grapplers like Mike Pierce and Stun Gun on Facebook and Fight Nights.

They just sacked Fitch and Volkmann who were long criticised for their styles. Now they're matching Jake Shields against Maia, I'm assuming hoping that Maia Fitches him so they can sack Shields as well. I can't see them signing Askren but you never know.

Askren could take on a variety of fighters if he debuted in the UFC.

Carlos Condit is a well known fighter and top contender. Askren should be able to out wrestle Condit, as GSP and Hendricks were able to and Askren is a better offensive wrestler than Hendricks and maybe a better wrestler than GSP. Condit's status would allow this fight a decent platform, it could be on a FOX show. Condit might be a submission threat, though what I have seen Askren may be too much of general on the ground with his control to be caught.

Koscheck could be a decent showcase for Askren to show how good his wrestling is. Kos is a bit shopworn, but still has a acid tongue to promote a fight with Askren. As Askren is the fresher and more vibrant wrestler, he should be able again to overwelm Koscheck and impress by beating one of the best wrestlers in WW MMA history at his own game.

I don't know why there's suddenly all this talk among the MMA community about Askren going to the UFC, there's ZERO chance of that ever happening IMO.

Dana hates him, and has regularly took the piss out of how boring he is - even saying "When ambien can't sleep it takes Ben Askren. The most boring fighter in MMA history. I would rather watch flies fuck". Not to mention Askren constantly slagging off UFC and accusing them of aiding steroid users, which isn't something Dana will soon forgive.

• Paid Members

That's the thing, like I said, it's already a longshot that they even show any interest. And if they did sign him, they're certainly not going to do him any favours and see him as some draw they have to match up with favourable style fights.

Another Dana-ism regarding Askren - 'this guy makes Jon Fitch look like Wanderlei Silva' - yeah, he's not a fan.

• Paid Members

Askren to me is fun to watch, his humbling of Koreshkov wasn't particualry exciting but it was a top rate display of MMA grappling... he destroyed Amoussou before that and had a very good 5 rounder with Jay Hieron.He's definitly not the most boring fighter in MMA. I love his personality too, its a case of 'if you dont like it, try come and stop me', i love that.

As i mentioned in my lil Bellator 97 piece, Askren is beating guys easily but hes not facing top grapplers, and thats not a case of Bellator protecting him, its just how things have fallen with the tournament structure. I personally cant wait to see him fight another top wrestler, or a guy with legit submissions off his back. Id pay to see Askren vs Diaz/Hendricks/Maia.

• Paid Members

No love for WSOF the other night? it ended up being a very good show. Apparently a few of the undercard fights were really good too, but the main card really delivered.

Griffin/JZ ended up being good, both guys looked sharp and threw down for the 3 rounds it lasted. I had Tyson winning both rounds going into the 3rd but he ended up being trapped face down under JZ and was getting hammered with ground and pound. The stoppage was alright with me because Tyson didn't look like he was getting out despite not being hurt. Still Tyson showed me enough to tell me he's still got it, big win for JZ.

Sefo/Huckaba was quality. Whilst Sefo isn't overly active in the cage, when he does throw he still looks world class. This was a very good standup fight, Huckaba was getting battered in round 2 but clipped Ray whilst he went in for the kill and finished him against the cage with heavy shots. Probably Ray's last fight and it's unfortunate he lost but he did himself proud whilst in there...Props to Huckaba too, he stood and slugged it out with a kickboxing legend, always good value is Dave Huckaba.

Ray_Sefo_vs._Dave_Huckaba_medium.gif

Nick Newell continues to be an inspriational success story, the guys disability doesn't seem to hamper him in any kind of way and he just goes about his business. The WSOF have some quality 155lb'ers under contact, be interesting to see who they pair him up with next. I'd go for Justin Gaethje.

Marlon Moraes re-proclaimed his case for being the best 135lb'er outside of the UFC, he looked like world beater in round 1 but apparently injured his foot and broke a finger in the process, Moraes kinda cruised after that but still put an absolute beating on a game Brandon Hempleman.

Speaking of beatings, Angel DeAnda took a fucking pounding from Tyrone Spong. DeAnda was undersized and unmatched but he earned his paycheck even clipping Spong with decent shots. How he continued to fight through them leg kicks without ever really limping i'll never know, one tough muthafucker. Spong coasted but i think he was just happy to get some rounds under his belt in an MMA environment.

5IeHpLe.png

DeAnda's leg 24 hours later.

Quality show. Everyone earned their keep fo' sho!

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 10m

And there you have it: Both ESPN and USA Today reporting that Chandler vs. Alvarez 2 for 11/2 is a done deal. Eddie is a free man ... sorta.

Cannot see past a Chandler win, given the long layoff for Alverez coupled with the improvement Chandler has shown since the first fight. As a casual Bellator fan I had to do some reading on Chandler, and I hear nothing but good things, constant improvement whilst beating underrated talent. I have even heard "best in the world" as a description of him.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I've only seen bits and pieces of WSOF. I enjoyed Tyson vs JZ but disappointed with the result. Same with Sefo. He looked good at times but I found it a bit depressing seeing Sefo lose like that to a guy he'd have starched in his prime. Spong looked good, I've read some criticism for him not finishing but DeAnda was tough as fuck. Haven't seen the Moraes or Newell fights yet.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 10m

And there you have it: Both ESPN and USA Today reporting that Chandler vs. Alvarez 2 for 11/2 is a done deal. Eddie is a free man ... sorta.

Cannot see past a Chandler win, given the long layoff for Alverez coupled with the improvement Chandler has shown since the first fight. As a casual Bellator fan I had to do some reading on Chandler, and I hear nothing but good things, constant improvement whilst beating underrated talent. I have even heard "best in the world" as a description of him.

Good. As gutted as I am that he's not in the UFC, he was fighting a losing battle by sitting out and going through the courts. He's in his prime years and it's pointless wasting that time and leaving money on the table. I'm just glad he's going to be fighting again. As soon as Bellator announced their first PPV, Chandler vs Alvarez 2 was a no brainer. My original prediction was Rampage-Tito, Chandler-Alvarez 2 and Mo-Newton 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Mo vs Newton is announced in the coming days. And that's a pretty strong line-up then. Add in one of the Pitbulls, Curran or even Askren and you're cooking. It would even rival some UFC PPVs for pure fight quality, save for the main event. If Chandler-Alvarez 2 was the main event with Rampage-Tito in co-main, I don't think anyone could really criticise that. It's just the thought of two on-their-arse UFC cast offs headlining that kind of cheapens it. I get why they're on there and the name value and all that, but should they get higher billing than an awesome fight like Chandler vs Alvarez? A title fight and a rematch of the best fight in Bellator history? Whatever, I can't wait for this fight.

Without trying to put a downer on it though, as pleased as I am that this rematch is on, and as pleased as I am that Alvarez is back fighting and this legal shite is over, for now - win or lose on Nov 2, who else is there for Alvarez or Chandler to fight in Bellator after this? Between them they've beat pretty much everyone at 155 in Bellator, and all the other top lightweights are in the UFC. Guys like JZ and Tyson Griffin are exclusive to WSOF aren't they? The UFC have snapped up almost everyone who matters at 155. There's really only Chandler and Alvarez they are missing.

• Paid Members

Cue the conspiracy theorists if Alvarez loses - He thru da fight so he cud go 2 da UFC. MMA is deadz.

Thing is, if he loses in Bellator, I doubt the UFC will even want him. He'd probably then have to rattle off some wins in WSOF, RFA or OneFC or something, then go back to Dana. He'd never get the offer the UFC were willing to give him earlier this year either.

• Paid Members

Bellator's new rule for if a scheduled title contender is injured and they need to choose a replacement.

Step #1: Bellator will refer to the most recent completed tournament (in the instance of a 4-man tournament being the most recent tournament, we would expand this to be the most recent two tournaments), and tabulate tournament points based on the following criteria with fighters that are still under contract with Bellator:

- For every decision victory, fighter will record one (1) point

- For every KO/TKO/submission win in the third round, fighter will record two (2) points

- For every KO/TKO/submission win in the second round, fighter will record three (3) points

- For every KO/TKO/submission in the first round, fighter will record four (4) points

- From the above list, the top three (3) point earners in the applicable weight class in which a replacement title challenger must be determined will be chosen. Bellator MMA executives may also include a fourth (4th) fighter on the ballot as well. This list of four will comprise the list of available fighters for the title shot.

Once the list has been established, three (3) different groups, each holding 33% voting power, will vote on who rightfully deserves a shot at the Bellator World Title:

1) Current Bellator MMA World Champions (including the Champion in the division under consideration)

2) Current Bellator MMA Tournament winners

3) Bellator Executives including CEO Bjorn Rebney, President Tim Danaher & the top two executives on Bellator