Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Bellator 'tent pole' time tonight, bit of a different approach this time, instead of using a legend to draw (Shamrock, Tito) or a gimmick (British Invasion), the promotion are basically just loading it up with some of their better fighters and going with it...

note - this airs in the UK Saturday night on Spike TV, 24 hour delay

Bellator_145_Vengeance_Poster.jpg?144406

(old poster, Curran is off the bill)

main card lines up like this:

Patricio Pibull vs. Daniel Straus (145lb Title)

Will Brooks vs. Marcin Held (155lb Title)

Michael Chandler vs. Dave Rickels

Bobby Lashley vs. James Thompson

Justin Lawrence vs. Emmanuel Sanchez

it's a solid looking card, 2 rematches, 1 trilogy fight.

Pitbull/Straus is an odd trilogy becaue Ptibull is 2-0 going in. Pitbull came from behind to submit Straus with 10 seconds to go in the 2nd fight though so it's not a case of Pitbull being dominant over Straus. I'm favouring Straus, he's improving and has the gas tank to outlast Pitbull, new champion here for me.

There's a weird sub-plot going in, apparently the Pitbull brother jumped Will Brooks earlier in the week and bloodied him up, there's conflicting reports but it adds spice to the main event as Straus is a team mate of Brooks. Thankfully the Brooks fight goes ahead, would have been nice to have had him with the other Pitbull rather than Held but there ya go. Should be a great fight regardless, Held is lots of fun to watch, he's the lightweight Palhares. Im favouring Brook though, i see it being one of those strange fights where Held dives for leg locks but i see Brooks being too explosive and athletic to get caught. Brooks via TKO.

Bobby Lashley tries to avenge a defeat to the big lug James Thompson. I have no idea what kind of condition Thompson is in, he doesn't fight often anymore and actually showed signed of improvement later in his career but i can't see past him getting smashed tonight.

Chandler completely wrecked Dave Rickels first time around. Chandler has faultered since, so they are having a go around, im happy with that as the original fight was one of those ones where i felt kind of robbed that it didn't go a little longer. Whenever Dave Rickles is fighting im tuning in.

There've done a countdown type show, its well worth a look.

• Paid Members

GLORY 25 was a bag of fun. The Lightweight title fight and the Welterweight contender final, in particular, were cracking.

The Superfight series was ticking along nicely (Vakhitov v Ilunga being the pick) then the Featherweight title fight happened. Easily the most lacklustre fight I've seen in GLORY and the commentary team couldn't help but shit on it after a few rounds. The Featherweight title ref was a shambles all night long, as he was letting fighters get away with all sorts, and he probably should have taken a point off Adamchuk in the Featherweight title fight - his officiating probably cost Varga his title.

• Paid Members

Bellator was decent over the weekend. The live announcement of the big February show was terrible though. Bellator have done a few of these now and they always like kind of awkward, maybe it translates better live but it doesn't come off well on TV. They gotta stop the Japanese guy from Rizin announcing stuff too, he can barely string a sentence together.

Straus/Pitbull was a quality title fight. It was competitive but Straus was clearly winning rounds, dropped Pitbull heavy at one point and looked to be cruising to the title. Round 5 was proper edge of the seat shit, Pitbull almost staged one of the great comebacks but Straus hung on for the title. Good fight.

Brooks/Held was a weird one. Brooks continually played into Held's game back taking him down and he revealed he did so later because he'd injured his knee in round 1. The crowd shit all over it but from a TV perspective it was pretty interesting, Held rolled for so many leglocks and looked to have them locked in but Brook just stayed calm and escaped everything. Brooks himself didn't do too much damage but dominated the top game. The injury itself harmed his performance but for a guy who's very vocal against the direction Bellator is going i don't think Brooks did anything to say to Coker that he's the man that can carry the promotion and be on the marquee.

Bobby Lashley/James Thompson didn't really get going. Thompson clearly injured in the takedown but Lashley did what he needed to do. Quick TKO. I'm quietly impressed by Lashley as of late, i hope in 2016 he really focuses on the game and goes up in levels (though there's not many levels to Bellator's heavyweight division). He's not spectacular but he's winning fights easily and he's taking very little damage. Safe and efficient.

Chandler wrecked my man Rickels again. I don't think Rickels ever had much of a shot but he's game and made it a fight whilst it lasted. If you didn't see the finish, check Chandler's right hook that damn near took the nose off Rickels face, sickening shot.

• Paid Members

Never really follow much of OneFC but the Ben Askren/Luis Santos rematch is tomorrow. First fight seemed like a routine defence for Askren but Santos gave him hell for as long as the fight lasted, he then claimed an eye poke and it got ruled a no contest. Santos was clearly winning the fight but the book on Santos says that he's a bit of a bottler who packs it in when shit gets tough or he runs out of gas.

Its gonna be worth tuning in for...

Edited by Ebb

Never really follow much of OneFC but the Ben Askren/Luis Santos rematch is tomorrow. First fight seemed like a routine defence for Askren but Santos gave him hell for as long as the fight lasted, he then claimed an eye poke and it got ruled a no contest. Santos was clearly winning the fight but the book on Santos says that he's a bit of a bottler who packs it in when shit gets tough or he runs out of gas.

Its gonna be worth tuning in for...

Santos has missed weight and so they are not sure if the fight is even going ahead tomorrow at the moment!

• Paid Members

the WSOF bust out their 8 man, 1 night tournament this weekend, it's a pretty unique thing in today's climate so im interested to check it out. The opening round streams live on Sherdog before the semi's and final happen on TV, im hoping we're able somehow to get a hold of the whole thing.

Interesting lineup too...

no need to write up the lineup, here's the brackets:

YqLrO2o.jpg

hell of a lineup in fairness, veterans, prospects, foreign dudes, established guys... it's a pick em.

Bellator bust out this lil number on Friday too...

gkU4IuO.jpg

Hisaki Kato is being given a rude awakening to American MMA isn't he? damn near killed Joe Schilling last night out and gets Melvin Manheof as a reward. Manheof is on his last legs but he's always got the power to beat anyone, should be exciting whilst it lasts.

rest of card here > http://mmajunkie.com/events/bellator-146-kato-vs-manhoef

solid.

• Paid Members

Melvin Motherfucking Manhoef!

Never get tired of watching him twat people. He's far past his best, his chin's faded, his physique has softened but he can still put fuckers out if he connects. That aggression is still there. It was a good couple of minutes, some exciting exchanges then that Manhoef left hook just came out of nowhere and that was that.

I saw spoilers of that WSOF tournament. Still might watch some of it if I can find it though. Sounded pretty nuts. Brian Foster winning the tournament by beating the guy who beat him earlier the same night...you still following? One night tournaments are just a recipe for mayhem. Glad Foster won the thing though. Always sort of liked him ever since his wild one rounder with Rick Story in the UFC way back. Exciting fighter and he went through some shit health-wise a while back, didn't he? I don't see him having much for Justin Gaethje but it'll be a fun fight regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

So I see that Mamed Khalidov won again over the weekend (winning the KSW Middleweight title (in 31 seconds) to add to his KSW Light Heavyweight title). Is there any reason why the UFC haven't looked to bring him in? Is it that he is happy to fight for KSW for better money than UFC would offer him? Is he stuck in a contract with KSW that UFC could not get him out of? He is 35, but has a very good record of 31-4 with 29 finishes.

Also looking at some of the upcoming non-UFC cards it looks like Fedor is without an opponent again for the Dec 31st Rizin show.

The two Rizin cards look both interesting and a little strange really. Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Shinya Aoki is headlining the 29th Dec show!

On the 31st Dec show (former?) TNA wrestler Lei'D Tapa is having her MMA debut against Gabrielle Garcia (a BJJ and grappling world champion). Has Tapa got any fighting background?

• Paid Members

Melvin Motherfucking Manhoef!

Never get tired of watching him twat people. He's far past his best, his chin's faded, his physique has softened but he can still put fuckers out if he connects. That aggression is still there. It was a good couple of minutes, some exciting exchanges then that Manhoef left hook just came out of nowhere and that was that.

Unreal wasn't it. Kato also marked himself as a must-see fighter for me too, he went in there and threwdown with Melvin. At one point i thought it was going to be another Manheof/Cyborg. Devastating left hook.

Bellator mentioned the title a few times so depsite having a less than stellar recent record i think we may see a Melvin Manheof/Rafael Carvalho title fight, winnable fight for Manheof too.

As for Khalidov he seems to just exisit in his own world over there in KSW. I've spoken about KSW on here quite abit, it comes and goes relatively unnotitced but it's a big deal over in Poland, massive crowds, big TV audiences and the Polish figthers seem like genuine superstars over there. I'd imagine Khalidov makes more coin over than he'd ever make in the UFC unless he made it to the very top of the card. The only KSW guy i've known to jump to the UFC is Jan Blachowicz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyfEALa_BKg

there's Khalidov/Materla.

• Paid Members

I saw spoilers of that WSOF tournament. Still might watch some of it if I can find it though. Sounded pretty nuts. Brian Foster winning the tournament by beating the guy who beat him earlier the same night...you still following? One night tournaments are just a recipe for mayhem. Glad Foster won the thing though. Always sort of liked him ever since his wild one rounder with Rick Story in the UFC way back. Exciting fighter and he went through some shit health-wise a while back, didn't he? I don't see him having much for Justin Gaethje but it'll be a fun fight regardless.

I missed it but very annoyingly had Brian Foster down to win his first round fight. That loss was the only blotch on a 6 fight acca for a hundred quid. Then Foster comes back and beats that same guy later in the same night!

I have no luck betting on fights. I've lost the final fight on an acca by split decision like 4 times as well over the years.

• Paid Members

some fights happening tonight...im planning on settling in tomorrow night to check out this stuff.

0AXHkZN.jpg

Josh Thomson vs. Pablo Villaseca

Patricky Pitbull vs. Derek Anderson

Daniel Weichel vs. Georgi Karakhanyan

Adam Piccolotti vs. Mario Soto

Virgil Zwicker vs. Brian Rogers

solid smaller show card! Nice to see Josh Thomson staying active, definitely feels like a win tomorrow is there to allow Thomson to step into a title fight with Will Brooks. I'm expecting a callout. I know nothing of Villseca though.

Weichel/Karakhanyan is big at 145, another potential title eliminator. Weichel was giving lil Pitbull hell before getting clipped earlier in the year...Karakhanyan seems to have been around the fringes forever should be a quality fight. Speaking of Pitbull, big Pibull fights Derek Anderson looking to avenge an upset loss from 2013.

Zwicker/Rogers is my pick for FOTN though. I've always had a soft spot for Zwicker, not athletic looking in the slightest but he comes to throw down every time, never in a dull fight...Brian Rogers is the polar opposite in terms of athletic ability and is a guy always accused of not living up to his potential but he's another guy who's never in a dull fight. Expect violence.

Outstanding Glory show tonight too!

2cdc8b2ccb9f5dbf9f9795655ea77eb0.png

hoping this pops up online, it's living on ESPN in America now so im hoping it pops up in the usual places.

The top two fights on that card are reason enough to tune in, should be a doozy.

here's a countdown vid: