Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'll give the Thompson and Sokoudjou fights a watch.

While we're on the subject;

James Thompson - 'skinning the cat'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=0DlLHlM22GE

Obviously 'skinning the cat' like Shawn Michaels. No little kittys were harmed during that video. It's PETA safe. Seriously, that's impressive as fuck when you think how big that bastard is.

GLORY 17 is on the 21st as well. And I love the look of the card;

MAIN CARD

Daniel Ghita vs Rico Verhoeven - Vacant Heavyweight Title

TBA vs TBA - Middleweight Final

Marc de Bonte vs Joseph Valtellini - Welterweight Title

TBA vs TBA - Middleweight Semi-Final

TBA vs TBA - Middleweight Semi-Final

Alex Pereira vs Artem Levin - Middleweight Quarter Final

Joe Schilling vs Simon Marcus - Middleweight Quarter Final

Wayne Barrett vs Bogdan Stoica - Middleweight Quarter Final

Melvin Manhoef vs Filip Verlinden - Middleweight Quarter Final

PRELIMS

TBA vs TBA - Featherweight Contender Final

Mirko Cro Cop vs Jarrell Miller

Andy Ristie vs Ky Hollenbeck

Marcus Vinicius vs Shane Oblonsky - Featherweight Contender Semi-Final

Gabriel Varga vs Yodkhunpon Sitmonchai - Featherweight Contender Semi-Final

That is a fuck of a card right there! Ghita vs Verhoeven is going to be awesome. The middleweight tournament should be tremendous as well. Manhoef is in there, which is always worth tuning in for. When you've got a name like Cro Cop and a great fight like Ristie vs Hollenbeck and they don't even make the main card, that shows how stacked this one is. It was originally going to be Cro Cop vs Sergei Kharitonov as well!

Manhoef quote;

"The thing I love most about kickboxing is knocking people the fuck out!

I started fighting at 20 years old, I have got 18 years in this business from heavyweight to light-heavyweight and middleweight. Some people call me a veteran but I am just a fighter. It is just something I like to do.

I started with kickboxing then went to MMA and now I do both. But kickboxing is more interesting to me than MMA because it is punching, kicking, kneeing, action, impact, power all the time, constantly. So it is more exciting.

My best weapon in the ring... My left hook knocks everybody out. My right hook knocks everybody out. My uppercut knocks everybody out. My kicks are hard, I kick everybody out. My knees, I'll knee somebody out. Everything about me is dangerous. I have the highest KO ratio of any fighter in this tournament, so you tell me what my best weapon is?

In a tournament you feel just like a gladiator. You enter the arena and it is like the Coliseum. I don't know how to explain it, it's just a great feeling.

In this tournament there are seven other opponents and all of them are dangerous. But if I am in good shape - and I will be - then I am problem for every opponent. My goal is to be champion. I want to be champion.

I promised my little boy that I am going to bring the belt home, so I have to do it."

153541648.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Melvin Manhoef's the bollocks. I'd love to see him destroy the whole bracket on the 21st. Be great to see him win the GLORY tournament before he retires.

First time i have posted in this topic but in just wondering does anybody know anything about Rob Mills? I worked with him for a few years when he wrestled as Bomber Mills for wZw, he was a great talent and had an impressive big man wrestler look. I know along side wrestling he did MMA and in pretty sure he fought on a Bamma card at some point and on other MMA shows. I lost contact with him when wZw stopped running shows and i often wonder what hes up to these days in regards to his MMA career. Iv seen a couple of old youtube videos of him training but that's about it, any ideas what hes up to these days?

• Paid Members

oh i didnt even realise BAMMA was tonight, it's the first of that Fight Night series. Have a good one man, im recording Cage Warriors, i'll watch it tomorrow.

Bellator 121 was a decent 90 mins entertainment.

Sokodjou walked through a clearly outmathed opponent, looked like Bellator handed him a bit of a gimme to get in the door (i have no problem with that) but for a guy who blows so hot and cold he looked good, went about his business and got a first round win.

James fucking Thompson's win-streak extends to five. The fight itself wasn't what was billed, Thompson took Prindle down early and smashed him...this is how Thompson actually started his MMA career, and for a guy his size it's effective, good on him.

Still forget the fight, the pre-fight promo by Bellator was brilliant, it was almost promoting as a comedic giants fight, very weird but it was entertaining...Bellator embrace the freakshow.

Then there was Thompson's post-fight interview. I understood him but i think it's pretty clear that no one else in the arena or Jimmy Smith had a clue what Thompson was saying (strong English accent with a hint of punch drunk thrown in), Thompson called out Cheick Kongo as a revenge move for Kongo decimating Thompson's cornerman Mostapha Al Turk a few years ago in the UFC...dunno if it's true but Thompson said Al Turk lost a testicle and the ability to have kids after that fight??? it was all abit tongue in cheek but i dunno if he was joking, it went something like this:

"i want Cheick Kongo, we call him the nut cracker for what he did to Mos, Bjorn make it happen, don't do it for me, do it for Mos' testicle" :laugh:

Phillipe Lins looked impressive at 205 as well, think he's the guy to watch in the tournament.

So went to BAMMA tonight, was a fun show, my first proper MMA event so was new to me.

Here's a few notes from the show:

Fun show missed the first semi-pro fight, but other than the 2nd fight every fight had a finish within the first or 2nd round. Made for good entertainment.

They brought a decent production set better than I imagined for what was basically a minor league show.

Big screen, small ramp/set, decent cage, good lighting rig.

Mostly locals apart from the main 2 fights, where they we're from London, Sweden etc.

Difficult to judge ticket no's etc, I won ringside tickets but there was a few empty seats behind me, they only had 5 rows, each side, ringside, most of these seemed to be taken up by family of fighters, coaches etc, whom I'm imagining didn't pay the

I thought the Cage Warriors show was really good and well worth a watch - especially the first half where everything was really entertaining with a string of great fights. Allen v Wrzosek and Brown v Wilde were particularly good I thought.

The tv portion lasted over 5 and a half hours. I thought the 3 man commentary with Jens Pulver brought in worked well too. I love Jens, though.

The next show is Dublin in August. That will be the first show to air on channel 4 in highlight form.

• Paid Members
Was bellator on viva last night? It isnt on tonight and its not on all week?

maybe they've left it off cause it's the summer series shows? its not part of the actual season schedule?

• Paid Members

Bellator have made changes to their tournament set up:

Newport Beach, Calif. (June 12, 2014) - With Bellator's 2014 Summer Series having just begun last Friday, Bellator Chairman & CEO Bjorn Rebney announced today that the promotion has made an addition to its real sport, tournament based format that allows former Bellator Tournament winners the potential to be granted a World Title fight without going back into The Toughest Tournament in Sports.

"Just like we've done since day one, any fighter who wins The Toughest Tournament in Sports will still be guaranteed a World Title fight," Rebney said. "The addition I'm making here, that I'm really excited about, is if you've won a tournament, you'll join an elite group of athletes who we can grant a world title fight to at any time."

"For example, if you win a tournament, fight for the World Title and lose, you forever remain in that elite group of fighters who can be awarded another shot at the title. We will place some fighters back into tournaments, while others may lose a world title fight, win some non-tournament fights and be awarded another shot at the title. We won't be implementing any hard and fast rule as to when a fighter will go back into a tournament and when he'll fight non-tournament fights and potentially be granted another title shot. What's great about this addition is that it allows us to stay true to our core format, where title shots can only be earned through a tournament win, while also providing us tremendous flexibility to make the great fights fans want to see. And, we can do all this while keeping our fighters busy and battling in meaningful fights on a re-occurring basis. This is another step in our constant evolution and most importantly it's a win for the fighters and the fans."

"When I heard about this change, I instantly fell in love with it," Bellator Interim Lightweight Champion Will Brooks said. "This is a way to keep guys active after they have proven themselves in a tournament. You always want to stay in the mix as a fighter, and it's really exciting to me that Bellator is taking the fighters and fans opinions to heart and making decisions to put on the best fights possible. It's refreshing to see and be a part of, and I can't wait to see what the future holds."

"At the end of the day, everyone wants to see guys they know stay busy and active," Bellator Welterweight Champion Douglas Lima said. "As fighters we want to stay busy and keep fighting, and this new change helps keep the talent pool fresh and creates new challengers for us. I know the tournament isn't going anywhere, it's how we all came up and got our titles, but now we have a chance to keep staying busy and keep defending our titles."

The current pool of fighters eligible to be chosen to fight for the world title includes:

Bantamweight: Eduardo Dantas*, Joe Warren*, Marcos Galvao, Rafael Silva

Featherweight: Pat Curran*, Patricio Pitbull, Daniel Straus, Shahbulat Shamhalaev, "Frodo" Khasbulaev, Daniel Weichel, Joe Warren.

Lightweight: Eddie Alvarez*, Will Brooks*, Michael Chandler, Pat Curran, Rick Hawn, Dave Jansen, David Rickels

Welterweight: Douglas Lima*, Karl Amoussou, Andrey Koreshkov, Rick Hawn

Middleweight: Alexander Shlemenko*, Brennan Ward, Doug Marshall

Light Heavyweight: Emanuel Newton*, Rampage Jackson, King Mo, Christian M'Pumbu, Atilla Vegh,

Heavyweight: Vitaly Minakov*, Alexander Volkov, Cheick Kongo

i like it.

• Paid Members

it worked in an ideal scenario but when you consider in the crazy nature of the sport in terms of injuries.

I like the fact that tournament winners enter a their own little pool that sets them apart from the tournament format. You have to cut your teeth through the tournament before entering that field, i like it.

One discrepancy is that some tournaments are 8-man and others are 4 so it's not an even playing field, but that's nitpicking.