Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

The Askren/Thompson fight could be good, i'm intrigued to know how it'll be percieved if the champion loses one of these superfights, so far they've come through with flying colours but its bound to happen at some point...to Bellator's credit they don't match these guys up with bums either (which they could do), but i do think they are smart when making the matches. Askren's claiming Thompson is over the hill which may be true, but Askren could get caught if he aint careful, Thompson's got so much experience that it could play in his favour.

Exactly what I thought when I read about the upcoming Cole Konrad vs Paul Buentello fight. A decent level 'name' who has tons of big time experience, but someone who Konrad should be able to beat comfortably (providing he doesn't try to stand with him!).

• Paid Members

yeh, its a great example. Buentello is a fairly popular fighter, he's pretty much fought in every big promotion in America so he's a great name to bring in. But given CKonrad's wrestling credentials, he should take care of business.

Konrad could become really good, he's basically living off his wrestling at the moment but if he can put some skills together to work off his primary skill he's not gonna be an easy guy to fight.

• Paid Members

just watched Bellator 40, nice little show again...

* Woodard/Chandler was closer than i expected, Chandler had a tough second round and Woodard proved game but Chandler gutted it out and deserved the 29-28 victory. Chandler has that wrestlers mentality where he just doesn't know when to stop. Chandler/Pitbull will be a great final, Bellator always seems to end up with excellent looking finals. I'd like to see Woodard fight Razor Rob.

* I thought Weedman was robbed against Hieron...it was a good fight, but i thought Hieron spent rounds 2 + 3 back peddaling, he was landing strikes but Weedman was clearly doing more. I think Hieron probably thought he was going to walk through this thing, but that wasn't the case. But again, i think we end up with the final everyone wanted. I'd like to see either guy fight Ben Askren.

* As for Askren, again he did what he always does...takes people down and mauls them, people boo him but i actually think he's alright to watch mainly because he's all limbs and he doesn't stop moving, Nick Thompson had nothing for him. Even though i think Askren's style isn't the most fan friendly i think he has the kind of heel personality that'll keep people interested in him, he doesn't mind talking shit and he's super confident.

The heavyweight fight between Eric Prindle and Josh Burns they threw on was fun too, two massive guys swinging bombs who just happened to be best friends, crazy to see the guy who won almost crying when they stopped his friend due to a cut he'd caused haha, only in MMA.

Don't know if you read about it, or if you steer clear of the MMA sites until you've caught up on your viewing to avoid spoilers, but Nick Thompson called it quits in light of the loss to Ben Askren. From what I remember, something along the lines of fighting having now passed him by, diminishing returns and feeling now is the time to concentrate on his job as a lawyer.

I know he is not to everyones liking, but I think I read Askren has two fights left on his Bellator contract at which point the UFC will almost surely pick him up. I'll then look forward to seeing what he can do in the Octagon as his wrestling will trouble anyone on the roster.

• Paid Members
* As for Askren, again he did what he always does...takes people down and mauls them, people boo him but i actually think he's alright to watch mainly because he's all limbs and he doesn't stop moving, Nick Thompson had nothing for him. Even though i think Askren's style isn't the most fan friendly i think he has the kind of heel personality that'll keep people interested in him, he doesn't mind talking shit and he's super confident.

I don't really mind Askren. It's a weird style he's got but it's working, he does stuff differently and it throws people off. He has got a bit of an arrogance/heel personality about him. He's got that Koscheck vibe to him, he's easy to hate but that can be a good thing.

• Paid Members

it's going to be interesting to see what these champions do when their contracts are up, because although they all seem to take great pride in their Bellator titles and by all accounts are being well taken care of. these guys are need to be in the UFC if they want to take their careers to the next level. Alvarez, Warren, Lombard and Askren all have to be looking to move on at some point.

Askren's in a tough spot as he's not really a crowd pleaser yet, but maybe it'll come over time, he's still only been fighting for 2 years and he's sticking to his strenghts at the moment. He could potentially be a guy who gives any fits at 170 though, his takedowns are insane. I've never seen anyone be able to take people down from the awkward positions he does.

As for Nick Thompson, think it was to be expected. He had actually announced his retirement once before so he was probably taking this for the money or saw it as one last crack at it but Thompson seems to have it all figured out outside of actually fighting (he's managing fighters i believe), but i wish him all the best.

Some comments from Ben Askren taken from the current issue of the Observer:

Welterweight champion Ben Askren had interesting comments on a Sherdog radio interview regarding fighters who look to entertain, and criticism of him for not finishing fights (his last three wins were via decision, and the match prior to that, he won with a guillotine only due to a bad referee call since the hold wasn

• Paid Members

yeh, Askren don't mind stirring the pot, i genuinely think he doesn't give a fuck what people think either.

Jay Hieron came on Junkie radio and responded to what Askren said about him post fight too, he confronted Askren at the Bellator 40 press conerence: "if i want someone to lie on me, i'll go ahead and ring my girlfriend"

it's heating up! Obviously Hieron's gotta get through Hawn first, but i loves me a grudge match.

• Paid Members

Bellator 41 looks good again this week:

Joe Warren vs. Marcos Galvao - Non-Title Superfight

Zack Mackovsky vs. Chad Robichaux - Non-Title Superfight

Wilson Reis vs. Patricio Pitbull - 145 Tournament Semi-Final

Kenny Foster vs. Daniel Strauss - 145 Tournament Semi-Final

nice lineup, the light guys get to shine here. Looking forward to Reis/Pitbull II especially...and of course it's always fun to watch Joe Warren fight, he's talking of entering the next 145 tournament and going on to win that title as well, the guy aint short of confidence.

Oh well, after last week's Brent Weedman vs Jay Hieron, our weekly Bellator controversy is 'The Baddest Man on the Planet' vs Marcos Galvao. I haven't watched the rest of the show, just sought the Superfight after reading about everything and I had this 29-28 Galvao, giving him rounds one and two, whilst three was clearly for Warren. How one judge scored this 30-27 for Warren I just don't get.

There is all sorts of conspiracy theories doing the rounds that some how Rjebney is corrupt and the judging was fixed, and how someone (Galvao) who never won one of their tournaments was never going to get a decision over one of their champs. I would like to think not, but these really bad decisions are starting to become a staple of Bellator.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

week off to Bellator last week, but they are back this with Bellator 43, cracking little lineup too:

MAIN CARD

* Rick Hawn vs. Jay Hieron (welterweight tourney final)

* Bryan Baker vs. Joe Riggs

* Neil Grove vs. Zak Jensen

* Chase Beebe vs. Jose Vega

the main event is very interesting, it's hard to pick a winner in that one. Baker/Riggs should be awesome too. Always fun to see Neil Grove fight too, slugfest!

Bellator 44 is outstanding as well...they kind of alternate between having great looking cards on paper, then having one that is little on starpower. Which brings me to my next point: the ratings for Bellator have been up and down, yet Bellator 42 which had one of the weakest cards on paper had some of the best ratings of the series...so it pretty much confirms that the stars Bellator have do very little to draw in casual viewers, diehards will watch whatever but the rest of the ratings probably are more based on what else is on tv, the weather and all kinds of stupid shit like that. People have been tearing the ratings apart all season but i don't think the fighters are having much to do with it.