The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

would be great to see either Danzig or King Diamond, but are they going to shift tickets? even for Bloodstock?

Judas Priest is a good shout. Personally, i'd have them subheadling for iron Maiden at Download. After Bloodstock managed to book Machine Head last year, will be interesting to see who they get.

just been talking to a friend too, anyone heard if Sonisphere is likely to return next year?

• Paid Members

Judas Priest subbing Maiden at Download is my ideal booking too. However, when Maiden played Soni last time it was revealed (when the Soni guys were guests on the Metal Hammer podcast) that Maiden had it in their contract that no 'classic rock/metal' band would play below them. Soni booked Pendulum for that sub spot so don't know if that'll apply at Download too?

Sonisphere is back next year, again only rumours but AC/DC have been touted.

• Paid Members
would be great to see either Danzig or King Diamond, but are they going to shift tickets? even for Bloodstock?

I was one of the guys whinging about Machine Head being at Bloodstock this year, I know they need to shift tickets but surely most of the appeal in Bloodstock is that there are bands you wouldn't see at the other festivals. Machine Head and Alice Cooper would be more at home at Download or Sonisphere,

Judas priest would work as a headliner, or Manowar.

but it was only last year that Nico said Maiden would never play Download again "because its changed so much since the Monsters of Rock days". which clearly turned out to be utter bullshit.

Its going to be interesting who Bloodstock announce, as we've discussed on here over the past year or so, its hard to book genuine legit headline acts, and then Download go and book 3 of them for next year.

And I know I've said things about Bloodstock before about appealing to elitist/"TRUE" fans, but I honestly wish them nothing but the best in terms of growth year on year.

As for Sonisphere getting AC/DC, they are going to have to do what Download had to and make a lot of sacrifices if they want them, like allowing them to bring their own stage

Edited by KingOfMetal

I was one of the guys whinging about Machine Head being at Bloodstock this year, I know they need to shift tickets but surely most of the appeal in Bloodstock is that there are bands you wouldn't see at the other festivals. Machine Head and Alice Cooper would be more at home at Download or Sonisphere,

But as Manowar's tour last year showed, they cant shift tickets either. They couldn't even shift 2,000 tickets for the show I went to in Leeds. Out of the 6 shows, only 2 sold out. Again, don't get me wrong, would be a great booking (Im as massive a Manowar fan as you'll ever find), but they are not going to shift you 40,000 tickets.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of number Bloodstock draws as the last time I went it was still the indoor festival at Derby Assemble Rooms, but being able to book an act like Machine Head last year shows how they are growing and can now attract that 'bigger' name act.

Judas Priest would be a solid booking in the headline slot, because they will sell a decent number of tickets for a festival of Bloodstock's size

• Paid Members

I know what you mean and I've never booked a gig in my life so I don't claim to know anything about it but if Sonisphere can't sell any tickets with a line up featuring Kiss Faith No More and Queen then it's obviously not all about big acts. I would've thought there'd be enough people who'd want to go to Bloodstock because it's small and different to make up for the lack of huge bands, it's an alternative to the giant summer rock festivals. Booking acts that make it seem like Download lite don't do it for me.

Judas Priest are a good balance between big enough and still cred enough to headline. Slayer too I guess but it would be boring booking as they're around so much.

But as Manowar's tour last year showed, they cant shift tickets either. They couldn't even shift 2,000 tickets for the show I went to in Leeds. Out of the 6 shows, only 2 sold out. Again, don't get me wrong, would be a great booking (Im as massive a Manowar fan as you'll ever find), but they are not going to shift you 40,000 tickets.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of number Bloodstock draws as the last time I went it was still the indoor festival at Derby Assemble Rooms, but being able to book an act like Machine Head last year shows how they are growing and can now attract that 'bigger' name act.

Judas Priest would be a solid booking in the headline slot, because they will sell a decent number of tickets for a festival of Bloodstock's size

Bloodstock claims a 12,000 capacity, which I think is a little bit questionable. Some years there's only been around 7000 and others around 10,000. Generally it's never sold out as far as I know, and most years it's around the 9000 mark. Having spoken to the organisers there every year for the last 5 years, one of them flat out refuses to ever deal with Manowar. The others are a little more accomodating though. They insisted that booking Immortal the other year would be the first time they ever sold out, but it never happened. So I doubt Manowar, as much as a good choice for the festival as they are, would be able to sell it out either.

thank you for those numbers Silver_Mask.

It goes back to the demands that Manowar make for down payment for coming over in the first place and insisting on using only their own PA's and other equipment. We can dream of it happening, but it just won't. Cattle-Class ticket to Germany festivals is the way to go if your wanting to see them

booking Immortal the other year would be the first time they ever sold out

I'm an Immortal fan but i know full well that they would never sell out an open air festival over here alone, there are bigger and more well known Black Metal bands that wouldn't either. You could bring Euronymous back from the dead and still have empty places...

Is anyone here going to Roadburn '13? I was tempted to go but tickets sold out in a day.

• Paid Members

I love the fact that Bloodstock offers that alternative, i have no problem with Download-type bands playing the bill, but to seeing bands like Opeth, Children of Bodom, Twisted Sister, Europe, Dimmu Borgir headline at Bloodstock has been some of the best festival experiences ive had. It's not on the grand scale of a big festival obviously, but seeing those bands in the night on a big open-air stage is fucking great. I thought it was a very cool move to put Machine Head in a headline slot last year too.