The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Ghost in Leeds were fantastic, even it was a bit touch and go after the third song when Papa didn't come back on stage for nearly 10 minutes as he went off and apparently nearly fainted backstage, and no-one was coming out to let the crowd know what the situation was. I'd had a major ballache getting to Leeds so if it had been scrapped after three songs if have fucking furious, but thankfully he recovered and the rest of the show went without a hitch.

He unveiled a new onstage outfit too, which I'm not sure if I liked or not, but the band sounded great and the new songs are going to win a lot of people over I reckon when they play the festivals next year.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I've been going through some personal shit recently and have discovered a wonderful band The Hotelier and this song in particular just breaks my heart. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eyj06wPIHYQPost hardcore-ish twiddly Texas Is The Reason-ish emo but quite indie and folk in some places.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, music eh? Fucking love. Imagine not loving music or bring into it at all.

• Paid Members

Yep, caught Ghost in Bristol last night. Truly developing into a special kind of band. People might still see as a gimmick but its a gimmick that fits the sound down to a T. and it makes them utterly unique. Brilliant.

Oh and they've just been nominated for a Grammy.

Neck Deep-Life's Not Out To Get You

The Wonder Years-No Closer To Heaven 

Coheed and Cambria-The Color Before The Sun

The World Is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die-Harmlessness

Foxing-Dealer

for me personally. Oh and The Hotelier-Home, Like Noplace Is There (but that came out in 2014, but I only discovered it this year)

The Ark Work by Liturgy is absolutely my favourite album of the year, I've never heard anything like it and despite enjoying it on every level it's still a challenging listen to me even as a seasoned metalhead.

Vitriol is possibly my track of the year, i was jokingly saying on their FB before the release that Triple H (yes..) was going to put out a grime inspired album and then that song appeared which isn't very far off.

Right now I'd say Litourgiya by Batushka could be my metal album of the year, it popped up out of nowhere earlier this month and I've no idea who the members of the band are but it's sheer brilliance. A mix of black and doom sung in Slavonic Church and filled with some gorgeous chanting.

Shout outs to:

Deafheaven

Chelsea Wolfe

Mgla

All the bands in The Black Twilight Circle

Arcturus

All released some great albums this year too. I've still got to grab a few other albums that could be up there, the new Bell Witch, Panopticon and Dead to a Dying World look good.

EDIT: How the fuck did I forget Cień chmury nad ukrytym polem by Stara Rzeka, a wonderful folk-y space-y follow-up to the drone masterpiece of 2013.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I'll have a think on it, i know i'll forget a shit ton. 

Album of 2016 may be tied up by January 8th though, this badboy is dropping.

53ef93abf53d5dcaf6c937c7026719df_m.jpg

Amazingly this is 10 years since their last record, i still remember the day i heard that record (Our Darkest Days) and it remains one of my favorite records ever, just an absolute classic melodic hardcore record. I don't pre-order many albums but i want this one dropping through my postbox on release date.