The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

To add to the Download speculation.. Rammstein are announcing dates for the Summer very soon.. So a Sabbath, Maiden, Rammstein triple is looking possible.

Just got home from watching the fantastic Devin Townsend play an acoustic show in a church in Leeds. It was fantastic, lovely bloke to meet as always.

It still surprises me, presuming the download rumors are legit that they never book a pop-punk headliner one day. Id imagine there's a lot of people in a similar boat to me, they like the line-up but it's often just a bit to heavy to warrant me buying a ticket thus I head to R&L. Not that heavier music isn't their main focus but similar to this year's Reading with a heavier day, surely a 'lighter' day would do them well and bring in a new crop of weekend campers.

• Paid Members

Outside of Blink 182, Green Day or Paramore there isn't a big enought band to headline the festival though.

You seem some pop-punk stuff headline other stages though, didnt A Day to Remember headline one not so long ago?

But Sean, if pop-punk is your bag, you're probably better off going to Hit The Decks (i think thats what its called) or the Vans Warped Tour.

As much as if love to see both Iron Maiden and Rammstein again, if they do headline Download in 2016, that's two direct repeat headliners from 2013. Download really do need to take a chance on someone other than the steady rotation of headliners they've previously had. It's now or never with BFMV as they subheadlined the previous two times

I'd also be suprised if Rammstein do it again as they're just starting work on a new album and I wouldn't expect them to have that all ready to go come June next year

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I don't think BFMV stand a chance to be honest. Nothing against them though. But a band playing the Barbican here in York on Friday is not a Download headliner. It's a hell of a step up. They aren't as big today as a few years ago, so i think their time has passed as regards being in contention for a Download headline slot. Of course this is just my opinion, and wouldn't be the first time i've been wrong lol.

Which again begs the question, who are going to be a future headliner?

The last time I saw BFMV, which I think was 2013 when they subheadlined Download, they pulled a great crowd, which was most likely a mix of people specifically for them and people just checking them out. I don't think they've dropped the radar that much in 2 years so can't see why that would change necessarily. Much like yourself, this all just personal opinion and speculation and I eouldnt even call myself a fan of theirs (I wouldn't be moved one way or another if Matt Tuck got some kind of disease) but I recognise the fact that you see a tonne of BFMV tshirts every time you go to Download, and on that basis I can see them being a headliner but the promoter would have to put on two other massive headliners in order to shift the tickets.

• Paid Members

BFMV just had a number 1 album didnt they? I think its a good time to take a chance. 2 established headliners with 1 new one is how they should it.

The other 'new' option of course is Bring Me the Horizon.

Venom peaked at #3 on the album chart, which is obviously still a great achievement for them.

Someone needs to have a chance taken on them, otherwise it's going to just be the same headliners year in year out, aside from some sort of reunion gimmick from someone. And once the likes of Iron Maiden (Dickinson is nearly 60) and Black Sabbath are gone, which will be ultra mega soon, we're going to be stuck with Def Leppard doing it again every other year

Edited by WyattSheepMask

While i don't like BMTH, right now they seem to be the hot property and are just coming off successful sub-headline slots at R+L to Metallica. So i think they are the more likely option if AC is going to take a chance on someone new. I just don't see BFMV headlining Download when they are playing 2 mins walk from my flat in a 1900 capacity venue on Friday. A few years ago they were playing arenas, and the mid range venues. Neither would make me buy a ticket (i'll be off regardless though) and neither will be a band i watch. But i would think BMTH is the safer bet right now.

Who else is a real contender right now? FFDP are hugely popular, but more so their side of the pond. But i'd put them ahead of BFMV here in terms of the crowds they pull for their tours. BSC seem very much on their way. It obviously wouldn't be this year though.

Then there are the names that have either never played, or aren't common appearances. Bands like Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, and System of a Down.

Pearl Jam and Foos are possibilities, Pearl Jam seem to be rumoured every year but you've got to think that Glastonbury would outbid for Foos. System Of A Down, or more accurately Serj and Daron, can't bare to be in the same room as eachother and only play for the money

I expect Glasto gets the Foos this year (or next) due to them being unable to do their headline slot this year. I'm fine with that as i'm there again this year. While System don't get on, i could still see it. As you say, they play for the money. And they'd get a good sum for a headline slot. While i know it would cause a fuck load of backlash, but then most announcements do, how about Bon Jovi? With the mention of pop punk above, i could only really see Green Day getting a headline slot at Download. But it would switch things up a little. There is at least now some weight behind talk of a reunion of the original GnR lineup, so that's a possibility for next year or beyond. Anyone talking about it for this year is having a laugh though (and iv'e seen a LOT of people talking about it like it's a realistic possibility).

Sorry the fact that said band are playing x capacity venue and not headline worthy doesn't really wash. Slipknot are playing small arenas in Feb. I saw BMTH in a 700 capacity venue last month. Same with BFMV. They just fancy playing small shows at the moment is my guess. Both those bands could easily play much much bigger venues, have done and will do.

Personally I'd love to see Enter Shikari headline Download or Reading next year. They deserve it.