The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Babymetal are oddly becoming a staple of british rock festivals, I really wont be surprised if we see them over here again next year.

Don't know if you know but they're doing Wembley Arena as their own headline show next year. Mental.

Yeah, these 2 appearances this past weekend were nothing more than a 30 min ad for that show. The whole "listen, listen, listen! We playing Wembley.." etc bit at then end with the date up on the screen kind of hammered home that point.

Babymetal are oddly becoming a staple of british rock festivals, I really wont be surprised if we see them over here again next year.

Don't know if you know but they're doing Wembley Arena as their own headline show next year. Mental.

Yeah, these 2 appearances this past weekend were nothing more than a 30 min ad for that show. The whole "listen, listen, listen! We playing Wembley.." etc bit at then end with the date up on the screen kind of hammered home that point.

Haha I didn't actually attend nor watch there set on iPlayer so had no idea! Apolgies didn't mean for it to come across as me being a sarcastic bellend!

Are they actually any good though? There music sounds like dog shit to me but I don't really like much of that genre anyway so I'm a poor judge to go off. Or is it more of a joke that you go and see them and end up running around in a mosh pit to a bunch of teenage girls?

Edited by seanz25

• Paid Members

Baby Metal is a gimmicky type thing, but its not a joke. The actual band are great, make what you want of the vocals, J-Pop vocals are just bonkers, even in straight pop music that stuff would be considered weird over here.

It's have its 5mins of popularity over here, i expect em to disappear after this album cycle, in Japan they are massive.

• Paid Members

Went to Leeds on Sunday & Babymetal were certainly an interesting watch. It was fun for about 25 mins but I can't imagine sitting through a headline set. The band are tight as hell though & do about 95% of the work. Biggest surprise of the day was watching BMTH mime their way through an hour of pure backing tracks, not even attempting to pretend like he was singing most of the time.

• Paid Members

i always hear that people would be surprised if they knew how much live bands pipe onto stage through tape. I guess it's a lot more prominent in new bands who use superslick production and studio trickery. BMTH have added a whole lot of electronics to their sounds so im guess much of what they do is covered via the new guy in charge of all that shit.

I'm not a BMTH fan, but it's fairly apparent that the mainstream press is positioning them to be headlining a major festival real soon (probably next year), the reviews ive read for the new album makes it sound like their the second coming.

i always hear that people would be surprised if they knew how much live bands pipe onto stage through tape. I guess it's a lot more prominent in new bands who use superslick production and studio trickery. BMTH have added a whole lot of electronics to their sounds so im guess much of what they do is covered via the new guy in charge of all that shit.

I'm not a BMTH fan, but it's fairly apparent that the mainstream press is positioning them to be headlining a major festival real soon (probably next year), the reviews ive read for the new album makes it sound like their the second coming.

Download forums are all over them headlining 2016. Don't personally think there ready yet, but then again I'm not a fan either. 

Sparks an interesting debate though out of British bands who have gained quite a bit of attention from mainstream outlets etc over the past year or so who are currently yet to headline a 'major' festival over here (I'm talking Download/Soni/R&L/Glasto) who do we see the first to do it? Excluding BMTH who do seem odds on to make the jump next year.

I'd probably be looking at Royal Blood - Even though I think there a bit overrated really and so does everyone else with more than just a generic love of rock bands like Arctic Monkeys over here + The lead singer (Ben is it?) looked fucked off his head at Reading this weekend... That's a recipe for disaster so soon into their careers. Don't think Slaves are capable of it unfortunately, just can't take their music serious enough to view them as headliners, sub one or two possibly. Reckon Catfish will be over in terms of popularity by 2017 and no one will give a toss about them (hopefully because their utter dogshite) Drenge have taken a step back since going to a three piece by all accounts, Palma Violets don't seem to be gaining popularity at a wide enough and quick enough pace.

Another solid album to follow up their most recent one and Neck Deep could be onto something but they have all these allegations of being perv's over there heads at the moment that it's likely there rep's already tarnished.

Sort of 50/50 on BMTH, but can see why they're so big, and the new album is very, very good.

The backing thing baffles me a bit. Can see why they would have all the electronic/synth stuff, and vocals which have been altered playing, but couldn't see them miming along? That sounds weird

Anyway, going to see them in a 500 capacity on Sunday, which should be fun.

Neck Deep are a great band, shame what's happened, but there you have it. He's gone to the police himself, so obviously trying to clear his name.

No idea who could make the step up as headliners. You Me At Six for Reading and Leeds for sure, but not too sure about Download etc.

• Paid Members

Bullet for My Valentine are the obvious choice to headline Download. New album is out now, they've co-headlined a few times so i think they make the jump next year. Their success still kind of baffles me, but i think they get the slot. BMTH may get a headline slot too, i can't see them doing both in one year though. I just youtubed the BMTH performance from Reading, I see what you're saying. The musical element doesn't bother me so much, Oli Sykes does appear to flat out mime some of the singing stuff though...does anyone else think they just sound like a heavier Linkin Park now though?

Royal Blood might get the Reading slot in a couple of years, they need to put out another record yet though. There's no way Reading/Leeds put another band on top off the strength of one album after The Darkness debacle a few years back.

Edited by Ebb

I actually watched the Darkness Sunday down here playing at Victorious festival... One of the best bands I've seen live, no denying that Justin Hawkins is a superb frontman, music may be not all that but in terms of leading a band he really is up there with the best of them. 

• Paid Members

Royal Blood had the 2nd biggest crowd of the day (behind Metallica) at Leeds. BMTH using backing tracks is obviously to help them move into those top slots. They were notoriously rubbish live so you've got 2 solutions. Learn to sing better or just fake it. Loads of people don't seem to care so fuck it. Bit of a depressing thought that the 'future of British rock' haven't even got the chops to play live though.

BMTH are an odd one really. And I agree with gbacon85 on being 50/50 with them. I always have been. It's hard not to respect them; I remember seeing them open for bands like Zao and Eden Maine when they were just kids and my mate even put them on in Liverpool in a tiny bar around 2005.

Crazy to see them co-headlining Reading and Leeds. They have worked really hard for it but I can't say I'm into the new stuff. In fact, I've never been THAT into any of their stuff but I have always thought of them as a really entertaining live act. I do understand the change in sound though. Without that they probably would've died out with the rest of the 'deathcore' scene or have to make do on the Lock Up stage or playing things like Ghostfest

Edited by lightningxlock

• Paid Members

the problem with the Reading/Leeds performances were that they headlined the festival and didn't have enough material to fill the slot, i was at Leeds and with a few beers in i enjoyed the hell out of it, but reviews afterwards were not kind.