The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I'm not sure if Chelsea Wolfe fits here but her new album does get quite doomy at times, plus its by far my favourite release of the year. I've always been a fan but she's blown all her previous LPs away with Abyss, there a couple of times where you think there might be a lull but another stellar track rips me apart again. She's coming over later this year so I think a trip to either London or Bristol is in order.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/29/425892446/first-listen-chelsea-wolfe-abyss#playlist

Saw her supporting Deafheaven not too long ago. Very very good. I'll be checking this out and likely her other work as it's something I'm yet to get round to

The lineup is poor and they posted a minion meme on Facebook the other day, I'll never go again.

I much prefer indoor festivals nowadays, open air shows just seem to attract legions of knobs.

Fuck a meme.

Disagree about the lineup though, plenty to like on there. All depends on your taste though i guess.

Im headed up in the morning.

Just got back an hour ago.

Some horrendous sound issues on the main stage took away from what was a very good weekend overall. There was a bit of a lull yesterday but Rob Zombie was fantastic & Trivium were great on the Friday once they got both guitars working.

Band of the weekend was Opeth by a long way, criminal that they only got an hour. Cannibal Corpse were a tonne of fun as were Napalm Death.

Saw a couple of decent acts on the New Blood stage also, that being Overoath. Hexis and Hell's Gazelles.

Very pleased with the announcement of Behemoth for 2016

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Saw British Lion at the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen last night. Despite knowing barely any of the material it was pretty good.

Managed to meet Steve Harris after the gig too. Bizarre meeting the mastermind behind one of the biggest metal bands of all time in such a tiny venue.

Got home from Bloodstock yesterday after a great weekend, arguably the best yet in terms of the overall experience. Highlights for me were watching all of Sepultura's set from the side of the stage, watching a bit of Napalm Death from the stage (nuts watching the crowd from up there), and meeting a whole bunch of bands at the signing tent. Sabaton (Ikea! Ikea!), Rob Zombie, Raging Speedhorn, Pro-Pain, and Korpiklaani all played blinders. Biggest highlight of the weekend was getting to chat to the lovely Vicky Hungerford, the director of BOA, for 20 mins on Saturday afternoon. Such a lovely woman. Roll on 2016!!

Now to Ikea to buy a tank!

• Paid Members

yep, another outstanding weekend. Perfect weather, great music, great atmosphere and slack security on the gates which led to see me saving a shit ton of cash on beer.

There's always been a few negative comments towards Bloodstock on here with regards to the atmosphere and friendlienes of the festival, i've never got it. It's easily the most laidback festival filled with the friendliest bunch of crazy looking fucks ive ever been too.

The sound issues on the main stage were standard really outside of the Within Temptation thing, festivals are notorious for shit going tits up, they don't get long to set that shit up...when it was 'on' though, and for the most part it was, the main stage sounded great! Within Temptation just had a bit of a mare...they won me over before the problems, it aint my bag, but they are one slick ass band, great vocalist too. I think there was actually a powercut across the site when it happened, we wandered over to the second stage after the power cut out for the third time and that stage was out too, as was all the rides. Pretty weird.

Music highlights were pretty extensive across the board, i'll mention a few. Sepultura playing a short set of classics/rarities, few treats for the die-hards! Can't wait for the UK tour. Trepalium were brilliant on the second stage, if there's a band i saw that i see breaking big anytime soon, it's them, check them out. Opeth's co-headlining as the sun was setting was pretty special, don't think there's ever been such an un-intentionally perfect setting for music. Rob Zombie was a perfect closer onSunday night too. When i saw them setting up the stage like he had the past year with the bare-boned type set i was quite disappointed as a i wanted to see the full production but after about 4-5 songs i just thought 'he's fucking killing this', great set list, quality covers and Zombie looking like he was genuinely having a great time up there.

Napalm Death, Belphegor, Pro-Pain, Ihsahn, Cannibal Corpse, Trivium, Orange Goblin, Piss Viper, Burgerkill, Godflesh, Raging Speedhorn, Armored Saint...all quality, im forgetting some.

Edited by Ebb

Regarding time to set up:

The guy who seemed to running the team for Ensiferum (the guy in the leather cowboy hat) forgot to sound check the fucking microphones! It was proper amateur hour stuff. He was more concered about the two risers at the sides so the band could jump on them. Because of that you could hardly hear the lead vocal and the female keyboard player was drowned out by everything so might as well have not even been there.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

i didn't see Enfiserum. Korpiklaani had a bit of a mare soundwise though, it tends to work itself out as the set progresses but there's usually difficulties to start off with.

A band that seemed to benefit from the technical problems were Ihsahn, the keyboard seemed way to high in the mix but it made it sound fucking awesome, it was like a spacey, metal 80's movie soundtrack going off, tremendous.

• Paid Members

i dont think they could hear themselves. It sounded stellar though.

I stood central on that plastic track for pretty much the whole weekend. Great sound and view from there. Great meeting point too.

Edited by Ebb