The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh, always used to see those bands knocking about on the old Revelation Records samplers back in the day. Only Farside album i heard was the one with the dude holding the briefcase on the front (the something Doctorine?). I have the one Gameface album (Always On). I was well into that scene before the internet properly blew up and made everything easy to check out, i need to go back and check out some of the stuff i missed (or couldn't afford to buy when i was into it). Revelation Records had some amazing bands on their roster.

Speaking of Metallica, I really wish they would skip coming over every summer and get the new album done. Kirk recently said in an interview that he had lost his iphone which had 250 riff demos on it and he hadn't backed them up. Unless they're swerving us and it's done already, it won't be out this year which will have been over 7 years since Death Magnetic

Isn't it to do with them losing money? They're obviously loaded but they haven't been turning a profit for ages so they play the festivals every year to keep money coming in.

They don't lose the money on any shows they play, only when they decide they want to waste $18million on a 3D concert film and however many more millions of dollars trying to run Orion+.

If they cut out the vanity projects they'd probably get slot more work done.

As you say, they're all loaded perhaps except Rob Trujillo who gets bugger all because of the deal he signed when he joined the band, but he just seems happy enough to be in the band. Mad to think that if he makes it another three years he'll be Metallica's longest serving bass player

• Paid Members

I dont think Metallica are hurt by the money they lose, it aint like their playing shows to survive.

Whats that about Trujillo though? Surely hes getting compensated handsomely for his contributions these days.

Whats that about Trujillo though? Surely hes getting compensated handsomely for his contributions these days.

I can't remember the exact ins and outs of it, but his percentage of earnings & ownership is considerably less than James', Lars' and Kirk's stakes in the band. It's covered in the Some Kind Of Monster movie. I'm sure he makes a fair living wage, it's not like the days were he was playing in both Ozzy Osbourne and Jerry Cantrell's solo act, but it's a less than than the others.

You got to remember, he 'd already been in the band five years before he even appeared on any music as he joined just before the release of St Anger

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Yeah, that was in the Some Kind Of Monster doc. When you saw his cruddy flat & they'd given him a million as a 'joining bonus'. They said he'd get no royalties for music recorded prior to his joining so essentially he got a cut of St Anger & Death Magnetic plus live revenues.

I just assumed he was purely making money from the live shows as he didn't play on St Anger. Like I say, he seems quite content with what he has.

I haven't watched Some Kind Of Monster in ages, it both hilarious and captivating in equal measure and Dave Mustaine blu bing like a little girl because he isn't part of Metallica is always a giggle

I just assumed he was purely making money from the live shows as he didn't play on St Anger. Like I say, he seems quite content with what he has.

I haven't watched Some Kind Of Monster in ages, it both hilarious and captivating in equal measure and Dave Mustaine blu bing like a little girl because he isn't part of Metallica is always a giggle

I watched it for the first time in ages a few weeks back. What an insane group of individuals they all are haha.

Dave Mustaine's whining and awful fashion sense is the best thing in it for me though. Unbelievable.

sorry to go a little off discussion, but im really getting into both farside and gameface at the moment. Been a fan of jawbreaker/samiam and that sort of style for a while but im really digging it more and more, im listening to a little less hardcore than i used to

any other fans on here?

Absolutely, Texas Is The Reason are one of my favourite bands of all time. Always On by Gameface is a classic, and they had some top bands on their label, Garrison and Elliott to name 2. Also, never realised that This Time Next Year by The Movielife was a Revelation release. That album is beautiful stuff.

You guys like any of the Jade Tree/Drive Thru stuff of the same era? The Promise Ring, Appleseed Cast, Allister, The Early November etc?

Never got round to checking out either Farside or Gameface when I was younger, as Ebb mentioned it was more a case of lack of funds but they were two names that would come up a lot and I would always mean to investigate. 

As for some of the other bands mentioned: absolutely adore The Applessed Cast, surely one of the most underrated bands ever. Love 'False Cathedrals' by Elliot and I jammed 'Nothing Feels Good' by The Promise Ring last week for the first time in a while and it really hit the spot. 

Drive Thru was a bit too much in the other direction for me. That being said a lot of my friends were big fans and I did listen to the first Finch record an awful lot and became quite obsessed with 'The Rooms Too Cold' by The Early November after a friend pushed it on me. 

People I went to college with absolutely bummed Drive Thru bands. It was never really my thing, but they simply had to see that a band was on Drive Thru and they would profess to be a fan. Same with any Japanese film around at the time

Yeah, same with Victory Records and the bands on there as well. Drive Thru wise, I liked Senses Fail, Hidden in Plain View and a few others, but most of it was gumph.

Gameface wise, check out Awkward Age, their best song.