The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Think I'm gonna go to this. Usual, fly down to Birmingham, get train to Derby, stay in Derby.

I really want to see Rob Zombie. Avenged Sevenfold are ok. Aerosmith were alright last time and well of course Alter Bridge.

Hopefully a few more bands that interest me will be announced also.

there's 4 other stages going off at the same time, i'm pretty sure the 2nd stage headliners will be something the complete opposite to what the main stage offers, there's always alternatives.

Exactly. I fucked the Foo Fighters (and all my mates) off to see Hatebreed on one of the secondary stages at a festival a while ago. I can't remember who the shit headliners at Donnington were a few years ago too, but all of our crew split up to either see Napalm Death or Billy Idol on the smaller stages instead of whatever mainstream act they had headlining that night. How's that for variety?

There's always more to see than the main stage, like.

there's 4 other stages going off at the same time, i'm pretty sure the 2nd stage headliners will be something the complete opposite to what the main stage offers, there's always alternatives.

Exactly. I fucked the Foo Fighters (and all my mates) off to see Hatebreed on one of the secondary stages at a festival a while ago. I can't remember who the shit headliners at Donnington were a few years ago too, but all of our crew split up to either see Napalm Death or Billy Idol on the smaller stages instead of whatever mainstream act they had headlining that night. How's that for variety?

There's always more to see than the main stage, like.

That was 2010 I believe, Napalm Death were on the second and Idol was on the Main which Aerosmith headlined that day. Although I thought that Napalm Death clashed with Slash on that day

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

top notch death metal band :)

yeh, last time i was at Download (last year), i nipped off to see Slash headline the second stage instead of watching The Prodigy and it was fucking ace, with the 2nd stage being outdoor an' all it is almost like having 2 main stages there now, it's quality.

That was 2010 I believe, Napalm Death were on the second and Idol was on the Main which Aerosmith headlined that day. Although I thought that Napalm Death clashed with Slash on that day

Just had a little look, and it was 2005. Feeder were the band on the main, with Idol on the second stage and Napalm Death in the smaller tent. I think there were only 3 stages back then?

download05_zpsd2f563ab.png

I take back my

• Paid Members

oh i was there that year too.

Feeder have admitted since that they were a bit of an experiment from Download to see how the crowd would react to a non-metal headliner. To be fair, they went down really well. There probably a few arsey-cross armed metal heads refusing to enjoy themselves but it was a good time for everyone else.

Looking at that flyer though, i genuinely can't remember seeing anyone else that day except for Wednesday 13, i'm bound to have watched Biffy Clyro too (ive seen them so many times though i forget what was what). I might have seen Garbage too, it was either at Download or at Leeds in a similar sunset slot and they were fucking brilliant, perfect band for that time of day...another band i saw play at that kind of time when the sun was setting on a beatiful day was Placebo at Leeds, it remains one of my favorite festival sets ever.

Edited by Ebb

I stand corrected. But I do seem to recall Napalm Death & Billy Idol playing the same day in 2010, so was an easy mistake to make.

Me & my best mate are talking of just doing the sunday at Download and then the Saturday at Bloodstock for Emperor as our festival run next year before doing Wacken the following year

Deafheaven's Sunbather was voted the second best metal album of the year by Revolver magazine (Black Sabbath were first), great to see it get such recognition from the mainstream metal press as it really is one helluva album.

Edited by Merzbow