The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I think my girlfriend summed it up when I told her that A7X were headlining with Rob Zombie being on before. "Well at least if we do go this year we won't have to sit through them just to watch Rob Zombie." I KNow they;re a popular band, but not being a metalcore fan, they've never really appealed to me.

• Paid Members

Be interesting to see who R&L have got & if there's anything to the rumour that Sonisphere UK are coming back next year. Pearl Jam & Metallica (with their 'Through The Never' production) will be somewhere & it's obviously not going to be Donington.

No chance Metallica could do the TTN production at a festival. Not a fan of the download announcements, always like to see Zombie but much rather his own show. I can't believe for one minute that Aerosmith would not headline if they did play. Hopefully something like Pearl Jam and Alter Bridge for Sunday and a day ticket will do me. Andy Copping would get shit on twitter regardless of who he announced anyway.

• Paid Members

haha, it's all kicking off. Download Festival goer's need to start realising that they are attending a massive mainstream festival and there's only a certain amount of headliners they can use. I was happy with Avenged Sevenfold mainly because they are taking a chance, but Linkin Park is the safe kind of bet you have to expect...like it or not they are one of the biggest rock bands on the planet.

All these calls for smaller type bands to headline, forget it. if you want to see them kind of bands headline, you're gonna have to go to smaller festivals, simple.

Anyway, why are people crying? there's 4 other stages going off at the same time, i'm pretty sure the 2nd stage headliners will be something the complete opposite to what the main stage offers, there's always alternatives.

haha, it's all kicking off. Download Festival goer's need to start realising that they are attending a massive mainstream festival and there's only a certain amount of headliners they can use. I was happy with Avenged Sevenfold mainly because they are taking a chance, but Linkin Park is the safe kind of bet you have to expect...like it or not they are one of the biggest rock bands on the planet.

All these calls for smaller type bands to headline, forget it. if you want to see them kind of bands headline, you're gonna have to go to smaller festivals, simple.

Anyway, why are people crying? there's 4 other stages going off at the same time, i'm pretty sure the 2nd stage headliners will be something the complete opposite to what the main stage offers, there's always alternatives.

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly aware of Download status as a mainstream festival. My issue is that 3 of the bands announced all played the same festival only 3 years ago (come next June). Zombie has moved up a stage and Avenged Sevenfold have moved up a spot, but its otherwise the same as 2011 so far, obviously once it takes shape over the coming months you could argue its not a carbon copy, but at the moment it is.

As it stands, I might do a day at Bloodstock for Emperor, but unless Sundays DL headliner is massive, I will give it a miss next year

• Paid Members

Download didn't sell out last year with Maiden, Rammstein & Slipknot. Next year's line-up wont come close to having the same numbers as this year. The bonus is that you could literally wait until the week of the festival and check the weather & stage times before buying a ticket.

Download didn't sell out last year with Maiden, Rammstein & Slipknot. Next year's line-up wont come close to having the same numbers as this year. The bonus is that you could literally wait until the week of the festival and check the weather & stage times before buying a ticket.

Which is really saying something when you look at Wacken 2014 who sold out (about 90,000 tickets, similar to Download) in 48 hours.

Having Slipknot at 2013 might not have been the best choice in hindsight. Although not my favourite band by any stretch, you could have put Bullet For My Valentine in the headline slot, I'm sure they could have pulled it off and book Slipknot in 2014 when they will some new material out