The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Album of the year for me was Monuments to an Elegy by The Smashing Pumpkins. Agreed with whoever said about The Endless River by Pink Floyd because I realltystarted enjoying the album after a few listens plus is made me also go back and listen to their classic records and appreciating them all over again.

• Paid Members

I had the Pumpkins album for Xmas, it's really good. The Smashing Pumpkins comeback has been a little weird, which appropriately fits the history of the band i guess, but when they released Zeitgeist you couldn't help but sense the disappointment (i liked the album), i think people had unrealistic expectations, it even led to Corgan claiming that he'd never release another album...he lied of course and the last 2 records have both been excellent. The feeling around the new album is that the Pumpkins are back to being a pretty special unit, got a bit of an all-star lineup these days as well. I need to see them in 2015.

as for my album of the year, it has to be this:

61K0eOlaW8L._SX300_.jpg

first saw em support Therapy? in April, i was hooked from then. The live performance has been much scrutinized, it seems people either love it or find it awkward to watch given the stage fright of singer David Jakes but i find it adds to the performance. The album was in limbo for 2 years as the band couldn't find the right deal to get it released, so they are basically touring an album of old shit, im guessing they've got a new full arsenal of tunes to get out as well but as far as this album goes it's a fucking belter, just massive tunes. They've also put out some of the best music video's this year. Get it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bought my Download ticket. For me, this years line-up is shaping up to be an absolute belter.

If you've not checked it out I'd recommend the Jamey Jasta podcast (Hatebreed frontman & former 'Headbangers Ball presenter). He has some really good guests & they seem to strike the right balance between music geekery & casual fan. The Corey Taylor, Andy Copping, Scott Ian & Ice T episodes were all great.