The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Yeah, started to feel a bit gutted now tbh. Our whole group decided against this year due to the line-up being less than stellar but then once I found out the wife was preggers I was more receptive to going as next year likely wont be an option.

Reckon it'll be quiet there this year though, they've got less than half of the campsites they had last year!

really? has the festival sold that badly?

thats makes me wanna go even more! the less people the better!

so who went to Download? how was it?

I quite enjoyed it this year, definitely a lot smaller crowd-wise, but the bands still brought it. Only saw a select few bands so can't judge on the rest.

Friday started things off great for me, Crossfaith, who I'd never heard much of, came out and surprised me, with a ridiculously energetic, punishing set...complete polar opposite to the next band, Powerman 5000, crowd didn't seem to respond well to them and in return the band didn't look too thrilled, could notice it in their performance, good throwback hearing the old Dudley Boyz and MLW themes though haha! Skindred picked up the ball afterwards though, great set, one of the best frontmen out there atm, got the crowd doing a huge DL sized Harlem Shake, plus had everyone taking their tops off for the Newport Helicopter, I happened to be heading to the crapper at that point, turned back around to face the stage and was taken aback by the sight of thousands spinning their shirts over their heads, looked insane from the back. Black Label Society on after them, Wylde solos and punishing riffs as expected. Took a break after that to sample the food around the arena, horrid pricing as always,

• Paid Members

i would have loved to have seen the Smash set :(

Metal Hammer and Kerrang! absolutely crucified Rob Zombie, the gist being that he totally half arsed it and the band were terrible, weird. Kinda sucks to see Powerman 5000 get a blasting too, they are dated sounding and clearly aren't the darlings of the press but i still kind of like them :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

the remaining Lost Prophets members have put out their debut single with Thursday frontman Jeff Rickley...

first off, it sounds nothing like Lost Prophets and seems more in tune with Jeff Rickley's vision...before Thursday folded he was all loved up on synthy 80's pop style stuff, regardless i think it's a great tune.

• Paid Members

Hell are always a bit of a spectacle, i think as many laugh at them rather than actually being into what they are doing but you will entertainined...the newer material is actually pretty good.

Still never seen Gallows but if you fancy some straight aggressive hardcore tinged punk i guess that's your show right there.

Personally i wouldn't move from the main stage, its a quality lineup.

Ill tell you now as a massive Punk/Metal/Death/Hardcore Fan these are the bands you will probably enjoy !!

Hang the Bastard - Pure Rock, a bit old skool in there ways but definately worth it !!

Gallows - Not as amazing without Frank Carter but still decent a bit more Heavy though more Hardcore Punk

Wolfmother are absolutely amazing Retro feel rock band like Jimmy Hendrix

The Struts - Pop / Rock a bit like Queen but are gonna be massive give them a year !!

• Paid Members

yeh, id seen them 3 times i think before i saw them at Bloodstock last year and they were always good for a bit of a laugh, but last year they really pulled out all the stops and put on one hell of show, like i said i prefer the newer material as well.

Hell.jpg

fuck yeah!