The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

What are peoples predictions for next years Download & Soni headliners? The first announcement will be due in the next few weeks (going on previous years), plenty of rumours flying round too. I'm going for Soni - Rage Against The Machine / Black Sabbath / Paramore. Download - Metallica / Rammstein / Foo Fighters.

I'd be suprised if machine Head dont get a big billing at one of the festivals. Download put out a poll recently asking who fans would prefer to see reform- Guns n' Roses or Led Zeppelin. Don't kno if that means anything in the grand scheme of things or not.

personally, I reckon Tool will do one of them, with the new album due next year

Sonisphere said they were looking at Foo Fighters and Chili Peppers a few months back. I'd imagine Machine Head will headline a night at one of them. Tool I see as a second on the bill band, but if they do have the album out, I'd imagine will play.

My festival next year is Wacken. Pretty good looking line up so far, and I'd wager a fair bit still to be announced.

Just listened to the new Wolvhammer LP, what a nasty and vicious mix of Black Metal, Sludge and Crust but with some great production. One of the best metal albums this year and hopefully it gets noticed now that they are on Profound Lore.

Oh i forgot, don't support PF though as they are releasing Leviathans new album which is all based on Wrests missus who he battered and sexually assaulted with tattooing equipment. allegedly

Edited by Merzbow

QUOTE (Dead Mike @ Nov 3 2011, 13:34)

What are peoples predictions for next years Download & Soni headliners? The first announcement will be due in the next few weeks (going on previous years), plenty of rumours flying round too. I'm going for Soni - Rage Against The Machine / Black Sabbath / Paramore. Download - Metallica / Rammstein / Foo Fighters.

I'd be suprised if machine Head dont get a big billing at one of the festivals. Download put out a poll recently asking who fans would prefer to see reform- Guns n' Roses or Led Zeppelin. Don't kno if that means anything in the grand scheme of things or not.

personally, I reckon Tool will do one of them, with the new album due next year

We had a massive discussion about who could headline Sonisphere around the camp fire on the last night of this years fest. Can't see Metallica playing Download - don't they have some kind of business interest in Sonisphere and also the download organiser said booking Metallica was boring earlier on in the year. Also aren't they taking the big four round the U.S next summer?

I don't know if i made this up but weren't Soundgarden rumoured to be playing next year? Tool/Black Sabbath/Paramore - would be a good line-up for me and would sell quite a few tickets. This years was just so big - i was worried they wouldn't able to top it - The big four/Biffy/Slipknot first gig in the U.K after the death of Paul Grey.

About Led Zeppelin im sure the download guy said he has offered them anything and everything to play download and they have turned him down everytime.

Good stuff, that place looks even smaller than where I saw them in Dublin. Must be weird for them to play tiny places here and massive arenas and festival headline slots in Europe. They still get it 110% though, awesome band.

Skindred/Therapy? are doing a jagermeister tour in March and it's

So, Manowar in Leeds on Friday night was the culmination of a dream Ive had for years. they played tight but had some sound issues throughout the night. One mic died in the second song ('Death Tone'), and another conked out soon after. Demaio forgot his part midway through 'Battle Hymn', with many audience members (including myself) shouting out 'it's the slow part before the solo!". For someone whose been playing that song a) close to 30 years b) as part of an '...album in its entirety' tour for nearly a whole year and c) 2 nights earlier, needless to say the crowd seemed a bit disappointed.

After doing the 'Battle Hymns' album in its entirety plus a couple of other numbers (approx 1hr 10mins), they announced an intermission, which left the crowd stunned. Your supposed to be the loudedst/most metal band on the planet, and your taking an interval? ROCK 'N ROOOOOOOOOLLLL!

When they came back on (20 minutes later), it took about 10/15 minutes for the crowd to get into it, seemingly still shocked by the interval. Second half was around 50mins, and was suprised that it included more from the 'Warriors Of the World' album than expected, as its an average album by Manowar's standards. Personally, I'd have included more from 'Fighting The World' or even something from 'Louder Than Hell'. Instead, gaps were filled with Karl Logan shredding away for 5 minutes (which people seemed to get bored of) and Demaio's compusary bass solo.

The main issues with the night, and this was the general concensus, not just my opinion, were:

* Doors opened at 7:00, band not on till 8:20. No support act, and a sound check that lasted a couple of minutes. Quite as to why the band didnt come on eariler is unknown.

* Very little crowd interaction, seemingly just wanting to plow through the set.

* A member of the event security announced before the doors opened that there was to be no filming or pictures to be taken. No issues with the staff memeber in question (hes just doing his job), this was "a request by the band" (and by 'the band', I mean Joey Demaio), which is pathetic in my opinion. your charging people