The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh Exhorder are quality. The vocalist is a guy who's career ive followed, Kyle Thomas. I saw his other band Floodgate back in '96, super underrated stoner-metal band, they only released a single album but it's well worth picking up. He then went and fronted Alabama Thunderpussy, the one album he put out with them is fucking quality as well.

• Paid Members

Raging-Speedhorn-We-Will-Be-Dead-T-429560-991.jpg

dusted this off today! Raging Speedhorn were a weird band, they somehow became very popular during the height of nu-metal despite being as far from nu-metal and commercial metal as you can get. Speedhorn were a nasty stoner-metal band. This is their second album and it is a f'n pearl! They kind of fell off the map after this yet did release two more albums (which ive never properly listened too, but i will) but this remains a little lost gem of the UK metal scene as Speedhorn don't get a mention anywhere these days. The first album is good too.

I like Speedhorn but they never really progressed much over their albums. They weren't the best musicians, i think they did very well for themselves considering. First Top 40 UK metal single since Maiden!

Onedice (awesome band) actually came on random on my mp3 player the other day, which got me think. UK metal (and rock) was really good, and pretty popular around the nu-metal time. You had Raging Speedhorn, Defenestration, Earthtone9, Scurge, Sikth, Onedice, One Minute Silence, Biffy Clyro, Hundred Reasons, Funeral For A Friend, Lostprophets, Charger, Hondo Maclean, Sunna, Hell is for Heroes, i could go on and on. And they were all getting plenty of press coverage.

So am i completely out of the loop or are there not many good UK bands about anymore? Although i don't buy any magazines now, i try to keep up to date with the music scene, and there seems to be ver few bands about.

Edited by lostprophet_y2j

• Paid Members

there are still good bands floating about, i'll dig up some bands for you.

As for Onedice, what a fucking band they were. They've got a big cult following now too, they actually got back together and recorded a new song not long ago (it was done as a gift for someone i think) and the singer has been asking about on facebook to set up a new band. Their mini-album is brilliant stuff.

As for Raging Speedhorn, i agree that they just made the post of what they had. The attitude was cool too, just 5 ugly hairy fuckers who drunk loads and some loud dirty ass music, no image, no flash. They were refreshing cause Speedhorn like i said confusingly got big during the nu-metal scene and they had nothing in common with those bands. Good live too.

Off the top of my head, UK metal bands i like and are new(ish) or at least still going! Malefice, Trigger The Bloodshed, Arcitects, Rolo Tomassi (i count them as

at least part-metal).....Ted Maul?!

On another subject, what metal music websites do people use? I mean for news and reviews. I recently discovered metalsucks which is pretty good. Any UK based ones?

• Paid Members

not many really, i use theprp which ive been going too since i was about 16. Don't know why really, it aint that good haha...i visit the Metal Hammer website too, but that's pretty crap. I keep upto date on all my music through magazines. I'm old school.

• Paid Members
On another subject, what metal music websites do people use? I mean for news and reviews. I recently discovered metalsucks which is pretty good. Any UK based ones?

www.metal-archives.com

The metal bible as far as I'm concerned, full of upcoming albums, reviews and basically an encyclopedia for any metal band ever complete with previous members, discographies, the works. The forums are brilliant, with strict mods who enforce a high standard of discussion and lots of very knowledgeable people. I seem to discover a few new bands a week through their recommendation forum. Highly recommended.

Edited by kendo

Evan Seinfeld, the lead vocalist and bassist of New York based hardcore/metal outfit Biohazard, has left the band according to a statement. This announcement comes three months before the band are expected to release their first new album in six years.

"We have a long history together, but it's time for a change," said guitarist/co-founder Bobby Hambel. "We wish Evan well."

Scott Roberts, who played on the band's 2005 "Means To An End" album and has been part of the Biohazard extended family since, will step in for Seinfeld when Biohazard plays the UK's Download Festival on June 12th, and again on June 13th at the Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards in London. Hambel, guitarist/vocalist Billy Graziadei and drummer Danny Schuler will begin scouting for a permanent replacement when they return to the US.

Fucking Hell :(