MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Watched UFC 20 today.Not the best card but I quite enjoyed it.

This was the card

Bas Rutten vs Kevin Randleman (For vacant UFC Heavyweight Title)

Pedro Rizzo vs Tra Telligman

Pete Williams vs Travis Fulton

Ron Waterman vs Chris Condo

Marcello Mello vs David Roberts

Wanderlei Silva vs Tony Petarra

Laverne Clark vs Fabiano Iha

Rizzo-Telligman was a ton of fun for the 4 or so minutes it lasted.Really nice little war going on with Rizzo coming out on top.I haven't seen it for years but I seem to recall their rematch at UFC 43 being good too.

Pete Williams was impressive in his submission win over Travis Fulton.Has any MMA fighter had more fights than Fulton? Just looked him up again and it's even more than I thought.His current record is 195-46-11-1 :omg: Lost his last fight but was on an 8 fight winning streak before that.Anyway back on the subject yeah Williams looked good here and the fight was pretty good stuff.

A very young looking Wanderlei Silva demolished Tony Petarra with brutal knees from the Muay Thai clinch.UFC matchmaker John Peretti said after the fight that he was very impressed and referred to Wanderlei as being like 'an axe murderer'.Was this where he got the nickname? I don't recall hearing it before this show.

And was it this thread where we were on about TUF guys who fought in the UFC before? Because there's one on here that would be easy to miss.I'm sure it was David Roberts who was on season 7,he was a mate of Rampage and I recall him cornering Rampage a few times in Pride.He wasn't much cop from what I remember both on TUF and here.He lost quick.

This is him (Just checked it was him on TUF 7)

david-roberts.jpg

And finally the main event.One of the most controversial decisions in UFC history.Randleman absolutely took Rutten down at will,whenever he wanted.Early on Randleman was totally dominating Bas and doing some serious damage,opening up some nasty cuts on Bas.As the fight wore on Randleman seemed to fade and just lay on Bas for the rest of the fight.

I had Randleman winning the fight but to be honest I can kind of see where the judges were coming from.Randleman did next to nothing for the second half of the fight.He was on top but Rutten stayed busy off his back and landed a lot of strikes from there and was trying submissions whenever he got chance.It depends what you score more for but to be honest I don't think it was as bad a robbery as it's made out to be.

I would have gave it to Randleman though because he dominated a lot of the fight and although Bas did land a lot of strikes off his back Randleman still seemed to do the more damage overall in the fight.

This was Bas' last MMA fight until he came back for a one off in 2006 to fight Warpath (it was meant to be Kimo if I remember right) at the WFA show.

Also worth noting,current referee Dan Miragliotta was one of the judges at UFC 20 and he was the deciding judge who gave the main event to Bas Rutten.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

yeh both Rizzo/Telligman fights were good...it's a shame Telligman left MMA like he did when he fought Tim Sylvia, not a good way to go out.

Ive never seen Randleman/Rutten, i need to get a hold of that at some point.

• Paid Members
Pete Williams was impressive in his submission win over Travis Fulton.Has any MMA fighter had more fights than Fulton? Just looked him up again and it's even more than I thought.His current record is 195-46-11-1 :omg: Lost his last fight but was on an 8 fight winning streak before that.Anyway back on the subject yeah Williams looked good here and the fight was pretty good stuff.

add in a 14-25 pro boxing record.

he's a busy man.

• Paid Members

add in a 14-25 pro boxing record.

he's a busy man.

Still only 33 aswell.That's nuts.

Watched UFC 20 today.Not the best card but I quite enjoyed it.

And finally the main event.One of the most controversial decisions in UFC history.Randleman absolutely took Rutten down at will,whenever he wanted.Early on Randleman was totally dominating Bas and doing some serious damage,opening up some nasty cuts on Bas.As the fight wore on Randleman seemed to fade and just lay on Bas for the rest of the fight.

I had Randleman winning the fight but to be honest I can kind of see where the judges were coming from.Randleman did next to nothing for the second half of the fight.He was on top but Rutten stayed busy off his back and landed a lot of strikes from there and was trying submissions whenever he got chance.It depends what you score more for but to be honest I don't think it was as bad a robbery as it's made out to be.

I would have gave it to Randleman though because he dominated a lot of the fight and although Bas did land a lot of strikes off his back Randleman still seemed to do the more damage overall in the fight.

This was Bas' last MMA fight until he came back for a one off in 2006 to fight Warpath (it was meant to be Kimo if I remember right) at the WFA show.

Also worth noting,current referee Dan Miragliotta was one of the judges at UFC 20 and he was the deciding judge who gave the main event to Bas Rutten.

I haven't watched Randleman vs Rutten for a while, but in my notes I made I have it listed as an absolute robbery. Interestingly, I also made reference to Miragliotta as one of the judges (appears he is as bad a judge as he is official).

Anyway finally finished UFC 27 'Ultimate Bad Boyz' over the weekend.

I think I mentioned this in the previous General News thread, but the show opens almost straight away with the Ian Freeman vs Tedd Williams fight, with almost no introduction from Mike Goldberg. It then transpires that his co-commentator is Frank Shamrock, and I was guessing they were trying to cut as much of him from screen as possible. No Jeff Blatnick as he is covering the Olympics for NBC, and Shamrock is far better here than he is for Strike Force these days.

Tedd Williams vs Ian Freeman

Freeman's third fight in the UFC at this point. Williams was a fair bit heavier than Freeman and this allowed him to dominate 'The Machine' due to his weight advantage. He had Freeman up against the cage and just threw knees and elbows to the head and body. Round Two saw Williams already tired, and he expended more energy in trying to take Freeman down. After stuffing a Williams shot, Freeman hit three nasty looking knees to the head and Williams struggled to get to his feet at the end of the round. Both were struggling in the third, Tedd saw another takedown stuffed, and it was all Freeman from there with more hard rights, lefts and knees to the head. Dominant rounds two and three resulted in a comfortable unanimous decision for Freeman.

Yuki Kondo vs Alexandre Dantas

This was Kondo's Octagon debut and he was the current King of Pancrase at this point whilst Dantas was a former World Jiu-Jitsu champion. This was a good fight, slow paced at times though with some exciting reversals and exchanges with Kondo landing some hard shots. Kondo finished the job with a flying knee and another hard punch, before the referee had seen enough.

Laverne Clark vs Fabiano Iha

This was a rematch from UFC 20, which featured a controversial stoppage to check a cut whilst Iha had Clark trapped in a submission, and the Doctor ended up calling the fight. Not much to the rematch, as Iha catches him in an armabr after 70 secs and gives Clark his first loss in the UFC.

Jeremy Horn vs Eugene Jackson

Real good showing by Horn who used his Jiu-Jitsu to dominate Jackson. He took him down at the first opportunity, and just slowly kept position until manuevring to an armbar to get the submission. Jackson appeared to have little idea on the ground as it was pretty obvious that Horn was looking for the armbar.

Maurice Smith vs Bobby Hoffman

Controversial majority split decision victory for Smith, and I had Hoffman winning this one giving him rounds one and two. Smith was being cornered by Frank Shamrock as they were still in 'the Alliance' at this point', whilst Hoffman is from Pat Miletich's camp and also had Matt Hughes in his corner. Story of the fight was that Hoffman was just too big for Smith and used his size to dominate and control position for the first two rounds. He was clearly gassed at the end of the first, but would have bursts in the second. They had a mic wired upto Shamrock, so every now and again Goldberg would go to him whilst he is cornering and talk about what is happening. From his comments it was clear that he felt Smith needed a KO in the third to get the win. Round Three was all Smith, with Hoffman mostly with his back to the cage and Mo throwing punches to the gut and head, but I felt it was too little to late and the KO was required. Judges didn't agree with me, and felt Smith had done enough in the second to win that round.

Pedro Rizzo vs Dan Severn

Severn is 42 at this point, and is just too old and slow by now. Rizzo pretty much bypasses a Severn shot, lands one high kick, an inside leg kick that drops Dan, then another (which may have injured his knee) and that is enough to signal for enough for 'The Beast'. Whilst it was the last fight in the UFC for Severn, he fought as recently as July of this year, and his current record stands at 94-16-7, not quite as impressive as Travis Fulton!

A middle of the road show. Nothing world beating, although nothing terrible and just a nice watch. You wont be losing out if you give this one a miss, but on the same boat if you give it a watch you wont feel as though you have wasted your time.

Finished watching TUF 8 over the weekend also. How anyone can come out of this season and not be a fan of Nogueira I don't know, just an all round thoroughly decent guy. To continue from my prior post, both Brian McLaughlin and Karn Grigoryan suffered fractures to the nose and were not allowed to continue, and they ended up bringing back Roli Delgado and Kyle Kinsbury.

I'll start with the fights and the best ones were Junie Browning vs Roli Delgado and George Roop vs John Polakowski. Browning had been running his mouth way to much, and saying how Delgado didn't even belong in the house after losing his elimination fight. He had been saying how he could beat anyone and is the best in the house, and ends up picking the weakest guy. He then proceeds to put on an unimpressive showing and having little cardio. He gets the decision but didn't impress anyone with his inability to back up the smack talk. Roop vs Polakowski was a great war, that began with the obligatory Polakowksi hug in the centre of the ring before the fight. There is a funny deleted scene on the DVD Extras, where Dan Henderson is in the back talking to Frank and one of his coaches. Team Nogueira arrive, and they introduce themselves to Dan, shake Frank's hand etc. Polakowski then gives Frank a big hug and also his coach, but Frank is saying how Dan feels left out that he didn't get one, so Polakowski goes over to him and gives him this big hug. They are then all talking about how uncomfortable it was at first, because of how much he gets into the hugs, and rubbing the back etc.

The only real bad fights were Magalhaes vs Bader (which sucked whilst they were standing, but was as impressive as hell the moment Vinny took him down and got the armbar) and Bader vs Marshall. This one was really bad as Bader just constantly took him down and held him, whilst not doing much else. Marshall had actually said he wanted Bader in the semis, and was questioned by Dana why, when he felt he was the toughest guy there and the objective is to get to the live final.

I didn't care for Soszynski on the show. Whilst his pranks were generally harmful, he just came across as a weasel. He denied pulling some of them, and was also mocking Team Nogueira's togetherness also. He also put Browning's clothes in the water and didn't seem to pleased when they pulled a prank on him.

Junie Allen Browning was an ass clown of the highest order, and don't know where to start with him. He should have been kicked off the show after throwing a glass cup at Kingsbury, also for hopping the cage after Escudero had beaten Shane Nelson, and finally for throwing the glass at Shane Primm. There is another instance that I think is only on the DVD Extras, where Soszynski and Bader are throwing eggs at the guys in the jacuzzi downstairs. You then see a bottle fly up and smash on the floor. Browning denies it was him, and none of the guys in the jacuzzi 'saw anything' but there is only one person on the show who had prior for throwing glass at people. Nelson was also fortunate not to get thrown off the show, as early he was portrayed as nothing more than Junie's bitch, but 'had the alcohol intolerance level of a 12 year old girl'. He initially tried it on with Delgado in the house, and when he just walked away turned his attention to Escudero and started pushing him.

I don't know why Browning didn't get booted off the show, as he was far worse than Chris Leben. The final time was actually pretty compelling viewing as he had talked about not wanting to fight the semi-final, and then later that night went on his path of destruction in the house where he threw the glass at Primm (after they had been discussing how some of the fights would go). Dana then shows up, all the guys are wanting Browning gone, he goes downstairs to talk to him, and says how Browning wants him to kick him off the show, so that he can go back to Kentucky and brag about how he would have won the show if he wasn't kicked off it. He pretty much shames him into staying. He then goes upstairs to the other fighters, and tells them how he believes Junie wants to get kicked off the show, but he would rather he lost and then had nothing to whine about, and Escudero said how he wanted to fight him. They all then wasnt Junie to stay, and everything turned out fine with Efrain catching him in a D'Arce in the second.

There was some pretty nasty pranks aswell though. After Team Nogueira had been constantly stealing Tom Lawlor's fruit platter, Lawlor decided to piss in it, and was joined by Magalhaes, Nelson and Browning. Next thing you know Bader, Kingsbury, Nover, Polakowski etc are all chomping away on the piss soaked fruit. Bader and Kingsbury try to no-sell it, but Nover is seen being sick in the toilets. This all escalated and when Dave Kaplan is known to be stealing Nover's sushi, Team Nog decide to jack off into it. Kaplan is seen eating the sushi, and claims to have only had one piece, but according to Lawlor he ate the whole lot. The grossness continued as Kaplan and Lawlor went on a bender after Diamond Dave got eliminated, and were necking shots of piss. Kaplan also claims that he can't be knocked out and begs Filthy Tom to hit him. A reluctant Lawlor ends up delivering a vicious shot that puts Dave to sleep.

Stankie was awesome aswell, just exactly like Burgess Meredith as Mickie from the Rocky movies. The coaches challenge was great as pretty boy Frank had no interest in diving around for the ball and would only save shots that went straight at him, and the season finished with Nog shaving Frank's head after more of his team made the final. I have probably forgotten plenty. but it was a hell of a great season and probably top 3 (behind 1 and 3).

• Paid Members

Wasn't it the Junie stuff which prompted Dana to say something like "You don't vote guys off on the Ultimate Fighter....you have to beat 'em off...wait that didn't sound right did it?" :laugh:

Loved season 8,I'm gonna have to watch it again because I only saw it when it aired originally on Setanta(?) and that post has made me remember a lot of cool shit I'd forgotten about.

Like Lawlor's KO of Dave Kaplan......

2uignrl.gif

Great stuff.Couldn't believe Kaplan denied he was out :rolleyes: Just another reason why Tom Lawlor is awesome.

Agreed on Nogueira too.I was a huge Nog fan going in and that season made me a bigger fan.He's a class act.And Stankie,fucking hell Stankie's the man.

And yeah the spunk sushi episode was vile stuff to watch.Shame Nover flopped when he got to the big show too,he looked like a beast from what I remember on the show but they deffo overhyped him calling him the next Anderson,next GSP whatever.Too much pressure to put on such a young guy.Maybe he'll come back one day and have some success.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
I have not watch any of the recent ultimate fighter seasons i really need to get back into them what was the crack with Dave Kaplan getting punched there, was it a bet or something.

From what I remember Kaplan was claiming he couldn't be knocked out so he challenged Tom Lawlor,a guy 3 weight divisions bigger than him at the time to test his chin with a punch to prove how bad ass he was.

As you can see from the gif he went down quicker than George Michael with a rent boy in a public toilet.The best part was he swore blind he was never out after he woke up.

Watched UFC 28 'High Stakes' last night.

Jens Pulver vs John Lewis

Pulver is now Lil' Evil and no longer 'the Pulverizer'. Absolutely nothing to this as Pulver KO's him with a left hook after 12 seconds.

Andrei Arlovski vs Aaron Brink

Arlovski's UFC debut, and Brink is a supposed submission wrestler with a 7-1 record, and looked pretty juiced. Brink came out quick but didn't really do much. Tried to take Arlovski down, but Andrei just went for the guillotine. He let that go, and Brink again rushed him. This time Andrei tripped him and slapped on an armbar after just 55 seconds.

Gan McGee vs Josh Barnett

UFC debut for both. Barnett is supposedly 23-0 at this point, though is pasty white and flabby. McGee is 6'10'' and fight's out of Chuck Liddell's team in San Luis Obismo and is 7-0. The first round was all McGee as he got Barnett sown after a clinch, and just stayed on top for the rest of the round (something that was common all night). Barnett did try for some submissions off his back, but Gan just threw some hard punches and elbows from the guard to easily take the round. Round Two started like the first with McGee getting Barnett to the canvas, but offered nothing when he got him there. Barnett was far busier from the bottom with both strikes and an attempted Triangle. McGee was clearly tired and when he escaped the Triangle they both got to their feet. Another clinch and McGee again tried to take him down but this time Barnett ended up on top. He then started throwing strikes until McCarthy waved it off. This was a real good performance from Barnett, especially after withstanding the initial first round onslaught.

Mark Hughes vs Alex Steibling

This was a prelim fight that was shown on the live card to replace the scheduled Chuck Liddell vs Jeff Monson fight, which was postponed due to Monson's questionable CATSCAN results. Mark is Matt's twin brother, and this being a prelim fight was fought over two five minute rounds. Hughes appears to have nothing but his wrestling, and uses that to take Stiebling down early both rounds and just control position for a comfortable decision victory. Uneventful stuff.

Maurice Smith vs Renato Sobral

Babalu's UFC debut, and fighting at Heavyweight. The first round saw Sobral catch Smith's first kick and take him down, where the fight stayed for the rest of the round. Babalu controlled everything including trying for both a Kimura and Americana whilst also throwing some strikes. Round Two was similar to the first where he took him down early and controlled things. With 1:50 to Babalu stands back up, but the first kick Smith throws just sees him taken down again. Round Three saw little action for the first 90 seconds until Sobral shot in for a double leg take down, you then know how it goes from here. Easy points victory for Sobral, and this was Smith's final appearance in the UFC, and didn't fight again until 2007. Sobral had exposed how easy it really is to handle Smith, and I think he knew it.

Kevin Randleman vs Randy Couture

This was Couture's first fight back in the Octagon since he defeated Maurice Smith back in December 2007 for the Heavyweight title, but didn't return to defend it due to a contract dispute. The first round saw the theme of the night continue, as Randleman took Randy down and stayed on top of him. Randy at one point tried for an armbar, but Randleman just used a short slam to escape and Randy had to go back to guard. 'The Monster' (one of my favourite MMA nicknames) tagged Randy early in the second, and then they clinch up against the cage with more hard shots from Randleman. Randy pulls him to the floor but Kevin again controls position. Round Three saw a lengthy clinch with Randy throwing some knees. The customary Hammer House lack of conditioning is shown in all its glory as Randleman is now noticeably tired. Couture gets him to the floor and gets on top. He cuts him with an elbow and starts to unload before moving to full mount. Randleman appears clueless in how to escape, more offense from the mount, and McCarthy stops it.

Enjoyed this show and probably worth a watch for anyone. A couple of quickies get things off nicely, and we also get the UFC debuts of Babalu, Barnett and Arlovski, whilst also seeing the final UFC fight of Maurice Smith. The only poor fight is Hughes/Steibling and Babalu/Smith whilst not exciting is interesting. Both the main and the Barnett fight see guys show great heart and conditioning to come from behind and stop their respective opponents who had been dominating the fights

UFC 29 next time out, with Hughes/Hallman II!

Edited by Magnum Milano

Wasn't it the Junie stuff which prompted Dana to say something like "You don't vote guys off on the Ultimate Fighter....you have to beat 'em off...wait that didn't sound right did it?" :laugh:

Yeah, he comes out with that line after the final incident with Browning where all the guys are wanting him gone after throwing the glass and kicking off on Shane Primm. Although certainly not planned, it lightened the mood, and then they were all in favour of having him bought back and having Escudero beat him, so he can't go back home and winge about how he would have won if he hadn't been kicked off the show.

I haven't seen that one.

I've seen that Pulver KO though,it was a beauty.Wasn't this the fight where Goldberg's now legendary "the little eagle flies again" line originated?

I can't honestly remember. The Pulver fight was a nice return to form after the stinker he had with Joao Roque at UFC 26.