MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

So it's UFC 74 next and it doesn't have the instant appeal that the last one had for me, but it might see Koscheck getting a beating, so it's appealing enough.

Kendall Grove vs. Patrick Cote

That was a massive shot from Cote and I reckon that it came right out of the blue. it came out of the blue a wee bit. There was a good early rush from Cote at the start of the fight, but from that point onwards, Grove was the one taking the control on the feet, and he did land some big shots, and he also showed some cracking takedown defence, but then it was a case of BAM and that was the beginning of the end.

Kurt Pellegrino vs. Joe Stevenson

This was a terrific fight if you ask me. I loved how Stevenson was so persistant when looking for the choke and then in the third round, all of a sudden Pellegrino gets a deep one in and has Stevenson in danger. I thought Pellegrino looked good at times on his feet and continually found a home for the right hand, but he gave up position and fell to the ground at the strangest of times which might well have had a hand in losing Pellegrino the fight. Ah well. Still good watching.

Roger Huerta vs. Alberto Crane

By the end of the fight, Crane was just absolutely knackered and just falls to the floor and rolls around taking shots. Huerta did give him some absolutely brutal punishment right from round one. In the first two rounds, Crane did look pretty dangerous when he was looking for submissions, but by the third round he had it. LOVED when Roger Huerta was looking at the big screens so as he could land the elbows to Crane who was behind him. I definately felt sorry for Crane towards the end of this fight, but Huerta was a joy to watch.

Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck

With any luck, I'll get to see a good beatdown on Koscheck here. I was sort of disappointed that I had to wait untill the third round to see Koscheck get a proper pasting from GSP. Yes, he controlled the fight for the vast majority, but I wanted to see him really unleash strikes on the fuckface and it was pleasant when I finally got to see some of that shit in the third round. I got quite a bit of satisfaction watching this fight.

Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Randy Couture just punished poor Gonzaga here. He just unloaded with almost every single weapon in the arsenal. Dirty boxing, shoulders and brutal uppercuts and combos and Gonzaga just didn't seem to have the answer at any point. Almost fitting that the ending comes the first time that he goes to the ground and pound that we have seen so many times from him.

Thales Leites vs. Ryan Jensen

I admit that I was ridiculously tired when I was watching this fight which probably took away from it. I will say that I was impressed with Jensen for the most part in the first round. Don't quite understand why he didn't learn his lesson from punching down at Jensen. Almost got caught once and was like "hey, I'll just keep trying that shit !". Idiot.

• Paid Members

Yeah I really liked Stevenson vs Pellegrino.

You've got UFC 75 next which was a really good card from what I remember.

Rampage/Hendo is a 5 round war and a great fight that often gets overlooked.Look out for Houston Alexander vs Alessio Sakara and Paul Taylor vs Marcus Davis aswell.Really fun little fights.

Cro Cop vs Kongo was better than I remembered it when I saw it again a few months back.And Bisping-Hamill is a pretty good fight despite the bullshit judging.

Yeah I really liked Stevenson vs Pellegrino.

You've got UFC 75 next which was a really good card from what I remember.

Rampage/Hendo is a 5 round war and a great fight that often gets overlooked.Look out for Houston Alexander vs Alessio Sakara and Paul Taylor vs Marcus Davis aswell.Really fun little fights.

Cro Cop vs Kongo was better than I remembered it when I saw it again a few months back.And Bisping-Hamill is a pretty good fight despite the bullshit judging.

Paul Taylor vs Marcus Davis is probably the best fight on UFC 75, and it is probably a second from being stopped at one point. Its also worth doing your own scoring for Bisping vs Hamill. I had Hamill winning 29-28, although the last round was close enough that it could easily have gone 30-27 to Hamill. Just bullshit judging all around.

Gotta say I am impressed at how quickly you are ploughing through these Haraga.

UFC 75 is next and features a MASSIVE fight, at least by UK PPV standards. I feel like I'm talking about WWE here actually.

Alessio Sakara vs. Houston Alexander

BEATDOWN~~~!!! Houston landed a couple of big knes before that last MAMMOTH one that knocked down Sakara. Sakara did well to hang on as long as he did, but there was no way he was going to survive that king of beating.

Paul Taylor vs. Marcus Davis

How Marcus Davis got through that first big barrage of right hands I'll never know. The head kick was a cracker and had me thinking "whoa !". So it made it even better when he came back and won the fight in the first round. Terrific stuff from Marcus Davis.

Mirko Cro Cop vs. Cheick Kongo

Cro Cop probably had vietnam flashbacks flying into the UK. Gotta wonder how this fight would have gone had Cro Cop been a bit better on the ground. He had Kongo in a BAD position and couldn't take advantage of it. From that point onwards, it was a pretty dominant display from Kongo as he just kneed and kicked the body all over again in the third and just rode him on the ground in the second. Huge win for Kongo. Didn't really enjoy the fight though.

Michael Bisping vs. Matt Hamill

This was supposed to be the final of The Ultimate Fighter ? I thought this was a pretty dominant show from Hamill in the first two rounds. I honestly can't see any way that Bisping could have won either round. It was an entertaining fight and Hamill kept it on the feet. He must have realised early that he had a better advantage than he thought. Then again, we seen what can happen when you're wrong about that in that last KJ Noons fight. Entertaining fight though, even if I didn't like the ending.

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Dan Henderson

Things looked pretty good for Henderson in the first round as he dominated in the clinch. Rampage had a good end to the round though and that was a sign of things to come as Rampage really came out and dominated the fight for the next three rounds, rocking Henderson on the feet and riding him on the ground. The last round was terrific viewing from both guys as both guys looked like they really wanted to finish the fight in the time.

=======================================================================

I typed this all out before I seen those last two replies.

As I said, I just don't see how Bisping won this fight. I've watched it a further two times and I just don't see it at all. Especially those first two rounds. I actually had Hamill in the third too but as you said, could have gone either way.

• Paid Members
The Nog/Herring fight was pretty good from what I remember.I recall Nog absolutely handling Herring for like 14 of the 15 minutes but that headkick should have been the end of the fight.

Herring had a full minute at the start of the second half where Big Nog was still rocked where he could have gone in and possibly finished the fight, but he never took the chance and allowed Big Nog the chance to recover. I was sitting here thinking "get in there and knock him out ya dick !".

Haven't seen that fight in ages but they were probably one of them crowds that just boos pretty much any grappling.Saying that I can't remember the fight much...was Sherk making it boring?

I wouldn't say he was making it boring. He kept it on the ground mostly aye, but he was always looking to finish and always busy and it was never boring.

i remember the people i watched Herring/Nog with shouting 'fix' when Herring didn't go in for the kill...i wouldn't go that far, but it was pretty fucking stupid.

UFC 76

Tyson Griffin vs. Thiago Tavares

Don't wanna be a judge for a fight like this. I thought the first round was pretty one sided for Griffin but from that point onwards I thought it was two sided stuff. The fight was pretty great I thought. Just like the fight Griffin had with Tavares, there was some amazing scrambling and Griffin had some terrific escapes in particular. Tavares looked very dangerous going for the submissions so Griffin did pretty well.

Lyoto Machida vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura

If I hear one more thing about how elusive Machida is, I'm going to throttle someone. Thankfully Nakamura landed some good shots in the third round meaning that surely Rogan will give it a rest. As for the fight, I didn't think it was that great. Machida had a cracking second round, knocking down Nakamura and then pounding on him down there for the majority. Nakamura did try and finish the fight in the third round but Machida came out with shots of his own and it was too little too late really as Machida easily had the first two rounds.

Diego Sanchez vs. Jon Fitch

Sanchez really does look intense in the staredown. Jon Fitch really is like a fly on shit, isn't he ? I got a feeling watching this fight that he is just relentless sticking to a guy. He did brilliantly in the second round when he was getting away from Sanchez who was on top. The other thing I noticed is just how unpopular Diego Sanchez was. Fitch does the slightest thing and the fans are partying like it's new year. Hard fight to judge again. I see a lot of Jon Fitch hate, but I enjoyed that last fight he had, and I enjoyed this one as well. I think I might make a claim to being the UKFF's #1 Jon Fitch fan.

Mauricio Rua vs. Forrest Griffin

A superb showing from Griffin here, but I wonder how much of that was down to the fact that Shogun was completely fucked from about the midway point of round two. I do think I'd be harsh if I was to say that it was completely down to that, because Griffin was fairly dominant in the first round as well. He definately became more and more dominant as the fight went on though, repeatedly taking the fight down and repeatedly taking the back and Shogun was in trouble the whole way. It was fitting that after all of that, it was Griffin taking the back and getting the choke that ended it. I thought it was a good fight.

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine

Keith Jardine definately deserved the win. Wanderlei Silva looked fucking disgusted at the decision and the fans definately didn't like it either, but fuck all of them. From the second round knock down onwards, Jardine laid a pretty big beating on Liddell and he really did pick apart Liddell. Liddell's leg was knackered, his body was knackered and he was repeatedly rocked. As for the fight itself, I loved it. I was just completely sucked in by Jardine laying the beating on.

UFC 77

Kalib Starnes vs. Alan Belcher

This is an entertaining slugfest while it lasts. Starnes spends a lot of time covering up after he gets cut, which is understandable because of how deep and open it is. He isn't scared to go out and exchange big shots. He is WELL pissed at someone on his corner. He's right too, as he DID want to continue the fight. Ah well, shame that this is stopped when it is because I was enjoying it.

Stephan Bonnar vs. Eric Schafer

It was a pretty bad first round for Bonnar, so he did very well to come out and get the win in the way that he did. I thought Schafer took him down a bit easily in the first, and it was basically stopping a takedown in the second round that was the beginning of the end for Schafer. It was at that point that Bonnar laid on a pretty relentless beating to win.

Jorge Gurgel vs. Alvin Robinson

I thought after the first round that if the fight went to the ground, Gurgel would have a distinct advantage as he really controlled things and for all of the scrambling Alvin Robinson did, it got him nowhere. So I was pretty surprised when for the next two rounds, Robinson laid a pretty big beating on Gurgel on the ground. Gurgel was an absolute mess at the end of the second round and that would only get worse for him. This was fun stuff.

Brandon Vera vs. Tim Sylvia

The first round was pretty chronic stuff. I was pretty annoyed when Sylvia got away from the clinch, and Vera reached out and grabbed him and pulled him back in. Might have been a costly move too, as Vera took a bit of a beating in the third round in order to lose the fight, and Vera simply didn't do enough in the first round. Vera showed quality in the second round, but in the end, it was probably mistakes in the first round that cost him over the piece. Didn't enjoy this fight.

Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin

The arena was fucking PUMPED for Rich Franklin. This felt like a mammoth fight. Anderson Silva sure laid on a couple of absolutely horrible beatings on Franklin. The first round was as good a case of "saved by the bell" as you're ever likely to see. Franklin took a god awful beating there and then it was a knee again in the second round that started the downfall of Franklin. Not much else to say really.

Ryan Jensen vs. Demian Maia

Very impressive from Maia. Jensen did a good job of getting Maia into the guard but Maia just passed easily as well. When he had that arm under the chin for the choke it kinda felt like it was just a matter of time before he got it properly. Good showing for Maia.

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine

Keith Jardine definately deserved the win. Wanderlei Silva looked fucking disgusted at the decision and the fans definately didn't like it either, but fuck all of them. From the second round knock down onwards, Jardine laid a pretty big beating on Liddell and he really did pick apart Liddell. Liddell's leg was knackered, his body was knackered and he was repeatedly rocked. As for the fight itself, I loved it. I was just completely sucked in by Jardine laying the beating on.

I thought Silva's reaction and that of the fans is partly because Chuck was a fan favourite but in the case of Wanderlai, thinking this is going to postpone or delay the Silva vs. Liddell fight people wanted to see for ages. Jardine definately won the fight though.

Enjoying this thread, the reviews and your reviews.

Got a copy of Season Eight of The Ultimate Fighter in the post this morning. Although I have watched the Finale before, I have never seen the actual Spike episodes at all (I think the guy who I used to get TUF off previously had lost some interest so stopped recording it). Really looking forward to seeing all the nonsense in the house and what went down with that clown Junie Browning (I remember reading about it in the Observer). Wouldn't be surprised if I get this polished off over the Bank Holiday weekend.

UFC 78

Spencer Fisher vs. Frankie Edgar

Wowzers. Edgar really did give Fisher a bit of a lesson here. The takedowns seemed to get a little bit harder for him in the third round, but it was still far too easy for him to take him down. Fisher did well to stop Edgar getting a better position, and when Edgar DID get a better position, Fisher didn't spend long in it. The first two rounds seen Fisher take quite a few shots from Edgar in the top position. A very impressive showing from Edgar. Although Rogan's probably right when he says that Fisher was very disappointing. Not surprised that there was a 10-8 round in there at all.

Ed Herman vs. Joe Doerksen

That was a cracking wee fight. Ed Herman looked terrific in the first round in much the same way as Edgar did in the last fight. The second round was amazing though as both guys exchange the control on the ground and Doerksen comes SO close to ending the fight at the end. Major left hand to put an end to it and the referee was right in there. Good stuff.

Karo Parisyan vs. Ryo Chonan

The third round was pretty close, but other than that, this was a dominant display from Karo and that seems to be the order of the day. First round was pretty boring, but in the second round Karo really began to unload on the ground with the elbows and punches. In the first, Ryo was doing a good job of defending himself from such an onslaught but after that he got punished in a big way. Chonan was much more lively in the third looking to finish any way he could but it wasn't enough. Not the best of fights by any stretch.

Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva

Houston Aleander takes a brutal beating at the hands of Silva. The referee gave Alexander a bit of time to come back into the fight and defend himself and he didn't do so. Houston seems a bit miffed at the decision, but he shouldn't be. He got KTFO !!! Terrific stuff from Silva.

Michael Bisping vs. Rashad Evans

This fight cut out midway through the first round for me and I got it back at the start of the second round. So I won't go wondering how the first was scored but Evans looked in control. The rest of the fight was interesting. Evans was clearly knackered but it didn't seem to change much as he still took the fight right to Bisping. He did seem to have more difficulty taking Bisping down but he always ended up getting what he needed. Bisping was always coming forward, but most of the time, it was right into the right hand of Evans.

Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt

That was a very impressive showing from Lauzon. I could have sworn that Reinhardt had tapped before that, gone limp a bit and then had to tap again. Lauzon was VERY aggressive right off the bat. Not much else to be said.

The Ultimate Fighter Finale : Hughes vs. Serra

Dan Barrera vs. Ben Saunders

Ben Saunders landed a couple of BIG shots in each round. The knee in the first round and the head kick in the second, but Barrera got into a good position after both shots to ensure that it would be difficult for Saunders to follow up. Same thing happens in the third with a kick. I thought the first two rounds were VERY close, with Ben Saunders taking the third pretty comfortably. Was certainly an intriguing fight if not the most exciting ever.

George Sotiropoulos vs. Billy Miles

Sotiropolous just takes the back at the start and then just pounds on him untill he gets the choke and forces the tap out. Pretty persistant from him to just ride the back like that. Good stuff.

Richie Hightower vs. Troy Mandaloniz

It was only really a round of action in the fight, but it was an absolutely cracking round of action. Both guys were as aggressive as hell. Troy was rocked pretty early in the fight but he came back into it more and more and Hightower didn't really appear to be learning anything from that and threw a pretty wild shot and Troy nailed the jab ( yup ) for the win. Great fun there.

Jon Koppenhaver vs. Jared Rollins

Fuck me, that was BRILLIANT. Oh man. That was absolutely brilliant. It was pretty much fought on the ground for the most part, but when they were down there, both men went absolutely crazy on each other. There was an absolute shitload of blood over the octagon that ending was brutal. Not quite as brutal as the knee to War Machine that preceeded it. I loved this.

Mac Danzig vs. Tommy Speer

Not the most difficult fight that Mac Danzig will ever have. Tommy got off to a decent start, getting knees and stopping the takedown, but then Mac got the takedown and it was problems from there as he laid on a beating, got the back, got the choke and buh-byes.

John Kolosci vs. Matt Arroyo

Both men wear orange shorts which doesn't make life very easy for me. Kolosci appeared to be spending pretty much the entire round up to the tap out escaping from submissions and to be fair he was doing a good job of it, but I guess he was just delaying the inevitable. Good showing from Matt Arroyo.

Roger Huerta vs. Clay Guida

I've been looking forward to watching this for some time, but it's gonna have to go a long way to be fight of the night. Sweet. Mother. Of. Fuck. That was absolutely astonishing there. Guida was doing brilliantly in the early rounds with the takedowns and then could have won in the second and Huerta did brilliantly to stay in the fight. Then he comes out and he just fucking UNLOADED on Guida and he couldn't deal with the onslaught. That was absolutely breathtaking stuff and might be my favourite UFC fight to date.

===============================================================

I thought Silva's reaction and that of the fans is partly because Chuck was a fan favourite but in the case of Wanderlai, thinking this is going to postpone or delay the Silva vs. Liddell fight people wanted to see for ages. Jardine definately won the fight though.

I was thinking that might be why Silva was pissed. He seemed really angry at the decision.

• Paid Members

yeh, Rollins/War Machine was a good one...it's a shame Koppenhaver went the route he did, he had bundles of heart and natural talent, but the guy just couldn't stay out of trouble.

not really sure what happened to J-Roc though? he never fought again after this...anyone know what happened to him?

• Paid Members

Fuck Wanderlei? How dare you.

wandy-fail.gif

Wanderlei is not amused :angry::smug:

I must say you are flying through these UFC's.If you can it might be worth tracking down a few unaired prelims off some of these shows.Off the ones you've recently covered alone I'd highly recommend Wiman vs Omigawa and Stephens vs Saraiva (UFC 76),Grice vs Black (UFC 77) and Lytle vs Alves (UFC 78).All really good fights worth checking out.

• Paid Members
Got a copy of Season Eight of The Ultimate Fighter in the post this morning. Although I have watched the Finale before, I have never seen the actual Spike episodes at all (I think the guy who I used to get TUF off previously had lost some interest so stopped recording it). Really looking forward to seeing all the nonsense in the house and what went down with that clown Junie Browning (I remember reading about it in the Observer). Wouldn't be surprised if I get this polished off over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Season 8 was one of the best for sure,along with seasons 1,3 and 5.

The contrast in personalities between Nogueira and Mir makes the show plus you've got some strange/interesting characters in the house (Lawlor,Polakowski and Kingsbury) and from what I recall the fights were very good on the whole.And there's Junie's antics of course and Krzysztof Soszynski's pranks which I quite enjoyed for their originality (especially the frozen underwear one).

Definitely one of the best seasons for me.

yeh, Rollins/War Machine was a good one...it's a shame Koppenhaver went the route he did, he had bundles of heart and natural talent, but the guy just couldn't stay out of trouble.

not really sure what happened to J-Roc though? he never fought again after this...anyone know what happened to him?

Yeah he hasn't fought since.Shame cause he seemed like he could've been decent and he had a great look (the Bruce Irvin from Tekken).

As far as I remember he was at least supposed to fight again in the UFC.They were trying to set up a fight between him and Ben Saunders but it fell through 2 or 3 times because Rollins kept getting injured.Maybe he just lost his passion for it with all the injuries and setbacks.

Season 8 was one of the best for sure,along with seasons 1,3 and 5.

The contrast in personalities between Nogueira and Mir makes the show plus you've got some strange/interesting characters in the house (Lawlor,Polakowski and Kingsbury) and from what I recall the fights were very good on the whole.And there's Junie's antics of course and Krzysztof Soszynski's pranks which I quite enjoyed for their originality (especially the frozen underwear one).

Definitely one of the best seasons for me.

Watched the first couple of episodes which is primarily the elimination fights for the fighters to get in the house.

Was a bit of drama before the fights even got going. Phillipe Nover feinted right at the beginning and then there was Jason Guida. The guy comes in overweight and has to cut 11 or 12lbs before the weigh ins. He puts the sweatsuits on but then starts cramping up and looks to be in a fair bit of physical pain. The doctor says he wont allow him to cut anymore weight and then he goes to the scales, but weighs in at 207lbs (needs to weight 206) and as the Doc wont allow him to cut anymore weight he has failed to make weight and is eliminated. Unsurprisingly he doesn't get much sympathy, as Wes Murch (the Brit) said he didn't eat on the plane over as he knew he had to make weight. Considering this was probably his last chance to get in the UFC the guy was an idiot to come in not on weight.

Most impressive of the fighters from the elimination fights were Phillipe Nover and Junie Browning, Mir especially was giving his Torresesque man love to Browning. Some of the fighters looked as though they didn't belong (Mike Stewart, whilst others had pretty average W/L records) Interested to see what happens as I know a couple of the fighters who got eliminated fought on the Finale (Kingsbury and Delgado), so they obviously get a call back at some point. Eliot Marshall has already returned after Antwain Britt broke his arm and had to leave.

Oh, and the clips at the end of episode two look wild!