MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, I forgot Kongo. He was a weird one, every now and then he'd have a good fight (the Pat Barry fight was undoubtedly the highlight) but he had his share of stinkers. The Jordan fight was abysmal. Just awful. I'd also throw in Kongo's fights with Meathead and Carmelo Marrero. Utter shite.

I know the prelim you mean from UFC 47. Looking up the card it's Jonathan Wiezorek vs Wade Shipp. And yeah I recall it being crap. I'm sure I reviewed that event early in this thread actually.

Yep, back in February 2010 I said this;

Jonathan Wiezorek vs Wade Shipp

Sloppy fight,not much more to say.I don't think they had either guy back which tells you something.Both guys are gassed in like 2 minutes.

So there we are. Why did I used to not hit space after commas and full-stops? That's odd, I don't remember having that annoying grammatical malfunction.

Edited by wandshogun09

Fucking hell, between the lot of us we have not half watched some shite over the years.

Edit: I like the idea of reviewing shit fights for laughs, but reviewing careers of shit fighters in a comedy tone I think would be fun.

Edited by jimufctna24

Nice Babalu write up Jim. I know he was way past his peak and it really was time he retired, but part of me will be sad to see him go.

In regards to Randy Couture, I have to say, I've questioned his 'great guy' schtick for some time now. To be honest, reading his biography really put me off him, he sounded like he was a guy trying to make excuses for all the shitty things he's done, because, you know, it's not his fault he had an affair etc.

• Paid Members

im yet to read Randy's book. Dana's constant belittling of his character makes me question the the good guy persona, but i can't but love the guy, from a pure fighting standpoint he gave me so many good memories, Randy's still the man!

Nice Babalu write up Jim. I know he was way past his peak and it really was time he retired, but part of me will be sad to see him go.

Thanks :thumbsup: I agree, it is always sad to see a fighter who you liked when you first got into MMA go.

EBB's opinion of Randy is reflective of MMA fans in general, the moments who had were so magical they can overlook or do not care about his shortcomings. I enjoyed his book, but felt the traces if him not being what he is thought to be were there.

• Paid Members

Just looking at his career i'm surprised to see that the IFC tournament win came after the first Chuck fight i always thought it was before. That string of wins he put together between the 1st and 2nd Chuck fights is one hell of a fucking run.

Just looking at his career i'm surprised to see that the IFC tournament win came after the first Chuck fight i always thought it was before. That string of wins he put together between the 1st and 2nd Chuck fights is one hell of a fucking run.

I am surprised you did not know, you are my man for active fan perspectives pre 2005, as you 1 of only 2 people I have any contact with who followed the sodding thing :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

i always assumed it was earlier for some reason :laugh: my time-framing around that time is all off, i followed the UFC and Pride simulataneously but stuff that happened in other promotions i know of muddles stuff up, i don't know where they slot in in terms of when they happened.

I've got that IFC DVD somewhere, i don't actually think ive seen it all. Quiet weekend of MMA this week, i think i'll watch it then :)

I kinda wish I was a fan back in the relative dark days. Stuff like Rampage giving out his phone number on Sherdog and the close not community does sound like fun.

Results spoilers even in 2005 were fairly easy to avoid for both UFC and Pride. I could go a good week after a Pride show and have it not spoiled for me.

• Paid Members

Mama Couture certainly chose an appropriate name for her son didn't she. Randy's a known philanderer. From reading his book it sounds like almost every relationship he's ever had has started and/or ended with someone getting cheated on.

tumblr_lmdsuibz9l1qaebjr.jpg

Joey Greco could do a whole series on him. He could retire on Randy's dicking about. I remember a spell a few years ago where you'd see him at UFC events, and almost every time he'd be sat with a different girl. Always blonde and half his age.

randy-couture-suit.jpg

Dirty old goat.

How does he do it? He looks like Robocop when the front of his helmet is off. It's got to be either he's a right smooth talker, women are attracted to the money/fame, or he has a massive horsecock. Or maybe it's the nobbly ears.