MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I love stuff like that. There was some stories about Dux is an MMA book I read (No Holds Barred, I think) which pretty much confirm he was a total fraud. I'll pick the DVD up, didn't even know it existed.

I love Bloodsport as well, it's one of a small bunch of films I used to watch so often, too often, to the the point my Mom can still rattle off lines of the dialogue. From Bloodsport, my Mom actually said a few months back, totally out of the blue, 'I ain't your pal, dickface. Who said that again?' Bloodsport fans will remember it's Jackson talking to the cop played by Forest Whitaker. I nearly pissed myself. That's how much I watched it. 20 years layer she's still got bits of those films stuck in her memory.

I love stuff like that. There was some stories about Dux is an MMA book I read (No Holds Barred, I think) which pretty much confirm he was a total fraud. I'll pick the DVD up, didn't even know it existed.

Yeah thanks EBB, I will be picking it up.

It was No Holds Barred, Duz got battered by a UFC 1 contestant (the incident where the guy battered Dux led to the guy being included) I cannot remember the guys name. Maybe Zane Fraiser?

Edit: Quick Google search confirms it was Zane.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

yeh the doc's worth a look wand. im usually pretty clued up with documentaries and stuff but that completely passed me by (if you want a copy, PM me).

Dux's take on the kumite is that it happened but it didn't look anything like it did in the movie.

oh and everyone's favorite multiverse promoting loony Matt Horwich puts in a brief appearence.

• Paid Members

Yeah thanks EBB, I will be picking it up.

It was No Holds Barred, Duz got battered by a UFC 1 contestant (the incident where the guy battered Dux led to the guy being included) I cannot remember the guys name. Maybe Zane Fraiser?

Edit: Quick Google search confirms it was Zane.

yeh Zane apparently knocked out Dux and got invited to compete in the UFC because of it...but does this mean that Dux was considered as a participant before that happened?

Dux claims he was suckerpunched with brass knucks.

yeh Zane apparently knocked out Dux and got invited to compete in the UFC because of it...but does this mean that Dux was considered as a participant before that happened?

Dux claims he was suckerpunched with brass knucks.

Luckily my book shelf is next to my laptop.

The Gracies went to a expo to recruit Zane there he would be appearing at, after one of them had seen him display ground-fighting in a Karate tourney that went haywire. Zane's reason for going to the expo was to confront Dux for various reasons. The rest is history.

I also believe that Dux is a fraud, but its a hell of a story.

I would recommend it EBB, it gives you a decent insight into the UFC and MMA culture in general in the 90's early 00's. I picked it up as a relative newcomer in early 2006 and it educated me on things I had no idea about.

Its probably worth it for the insight to how the UFC came about alone.

• 1 month later...

Fuck this thread is need of attention!

Anyway, good story from Sherdog founder Jeff Sherwood on Radio this week.

The week leading up to Randleman vs Rampage in 2003, Sherwood was confronted by Randleman in a Japanese hotel. Randleman went nuts, getting in Sherwood's face about something Sherwood had wrote about him on Sherdog. Sherwood ended the one-sided argument by saying "if it makes you feel better, hit me" to which Randleman stormed off into his hotel room and slammed the door.

Throughout the week Randleman stared out Sherwood whenever he saw the him.

Josh Gross informed Bas Rutten of this and Rutten went with Sherwood to sort it out, against Sherwood's request. Randleman approached Rutten and Sherwood and pushed his finger into Sherwood's face, Rutten grabbed Randleman's hand and restrained him and walked him into a room.

Sherwood when back to his room, until he got a knock on the door. It was Randleman, who hugged Sherwood and said sorry. It turned out that it was forum post on Sherdog that Randleman had read thinking it was Sherwood he had wrote it. Rutten had brought this to Randleman's attention in the hotel room.

After Rampage knocked out Randleman, Sherwood says you can see Page point to his Sherdog sponsored shorts and says off-camera he shouts to Sherwood "That was for you" as Sherwood and Page at that time were friends. Randleman and Sherwood have partied since and now get along fine.

Sherdog was deeply a part of MMA culture 10 years ago. Oh and Bas Rutten is probably the nicest guy in MMA, something Sherwood himself stated.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Never heard this before. Jesus. Randleman's always been a hothead mixed with a dose of arsehole from what I've seen. Another bit of evidence that Bas is a great man as well. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when Bas explained to Randleman how internet forums work.

In the same interview its said that Bas has time for anyone, always smiling and have a good time with the fans. He was also the first guy to be interviewed by Sherdog. Randleman is probably not a bad guy in my opinion, just a bit of a knucklehead. I find it sad when it was told by Sherwood that Randleman approached him after the fight and said about Rampage "your boy is good" because it was true in 2003, Page was good, in 2013 you would never hear anyone say that about Page.

Sherwood also mentioned that Josh Barnett at 19 was already trying to sell and market himself, this does not surprise me. Barnett always got "it" in terms of self-promotion, he would have been massive in America during the UFC boom in 2005 if he had not been busted for goodies in 2002.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

yeh Barnett screwed himself back in the day, i wonder how much the 'goodies' played into his early success though?

Great little Randleman story too, thanks for posting that :) Id love Randleman to write a book, i bet hes got a few tales to tell, he's pull no punches.

Took advantage of the 3 for 2 offer on fightdvd yesterday, picked me up some old Pride DVD's i haven't seen in a long time, im due a session.

No problem EBB :)

Barnett's body was a tad different in the early days, I have never seen a more serious case of muffin tops on a fighter. He is far from ripped now, but back then he looked a lot softer. A friend of mine put weight on his sides (but not his stomach) when he went on medication for his health that contained a steroid of some sort. That could have been down to him reaching his mid 20's and his diet, but he thinks otherwise. Whether Barnett indulged more in the early days, could be a possibility.

The problem in my opinion with Barnett was that for whatever reason he did not mask his "goodies" which I always found odd as he is not a stupid man, and I do believe some of the guys who tested clean whilst fighting him were also indulging.

Most of the guys he beat in the UFC I think he would have beaten if the playing field was even and all involved were clean. You will not find a better top game than Barnett in Heavyweight MMA, for a guy who's game has not evolved much over the years, he still can compete at a top level as displayed recently. Other than Fedor and the bad match-up with Cro Cop, Barnett should have swept up a decade ago.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Barnett has never really changed but he's never really had to. He's just always been really good his whole career. He's a weird case because he's one of the few fighters who doesn't really go on slumps. He'll lose the odd fight (and he really only loses to top, top opposition) but he never really seems to decline. The fact he's been around since the wild west outlaw days and has remained at the top as long as he has shows how good he is.

He's not changed his style but he's had to move with the times and not many fighters can do that and remain relevant. Look at Rampage, Shogun, Liddell, Ortiz etc. All the old guard is dying out. Barnett was there before most of them and he's still here and going strong after some of them. It's incredible when you really look at his career. He's spanned like three different eras and he's really the only one who stayed consistent throughout. It's consistency that is the key with Barnett I think. He hasn't blamed his losses on his coaches or packed up and moved camps every couple of years. He's stuck with who he knows, what he's good at and kept doing his own thing.

It's a fucking travesty that we didn't get Fedor vs Barnett in Pride between 2004-06. Even when it was eventually signed for Affliction in 2009 it wouldn't have been too late. It was still a huge fight and Fedor was still on his streak.

Edited by wandshogun09