DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Utterly rubbish, up there with Cabin Fever (also by Eli Roth) as being amongst the worst films I've seen.

Cabin fever was so tremendously bad It was nearly entertaining.

Not as hilarious as the final destination series which I stand by being the best unintentional comedy series going.

im pretty sure the Final Destination films are meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.

I watched Rock of Ages and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected, and I've got to say that it's pretty funny, too.

The true stars, by far, are Tom Cruise (I was also very impressed with his singing) and Paul Giamatti (who just nails being a sleazy bastard). As someone else said a few pages back, though, it is like two films mashed together. The couple are too squeaky-clean and cliche. Cruise comes across as the real deal, whereas I don't buy the main guy

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

as anything other than just the other half of a cliche romance. For me, it didn't click as he won over the crowd in the club with I Wanna Rock and moved toward being launched as Rock artist.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Vice

• Paid Members

Just come out of Storage 24. Yeah if you've seen any of the great monster films of history and even if you haven't don't bother. Its so deeply bereft of creativity.

Uninteresting characters discuss thier inane uninteresting lives before facing an uninteresting monster in a uninteresting confined space.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Watch Aliens, Predator or Attack the Block and you'll be much better served.

Whilst I'm at it the sound was irritating. Repetative, loud, shrill, grating noise does not equal scary it equals annoying.

I had a bit of a chuckle over the credit Noel Clark gets at the start of the film. Something along the lines of 'based on origional idea and story'.

The Guard is really great. Not in the same class as In Bruges, but really bloody good. I don't really know how many more superlatives can be written or said about Brendan Gleeson, too. What a guy.

I watched it for the first time Friday evening and it was absolutely fantastic.

• Paid Members

I saw Ted this weekend, mainly because I love Mark Wahlberg. I thought it was pretty hilarious, of course it's also awesome when the movie theater is packed to the rafters. Best way to see a comedy, IMO. Written by Seth McFarlane it was at times naturally up it's own arse.

Now I have to find a way to bribe my husband to come with me to see Magic Mike!

Edited by Stephanie

Just got out of the amazing spiderman and I enjoyed it. Much better than I thought it was going to be. I'll class it as good as being the origin story lots of major points are carried over from the first raimi movie which is a detriment to me as for some major points there isn't much shock or surprise

Garfield is great as a different variation on the character than maguire played it and it would be harsh at this point to say who was better

Add emma stone being lovely, some great effects and stan lee and I'd love a sequel

As not a massive comic book fan to the extent of some on here the post credit sequence while intriguing will need some explaining to me

Edited by iamtheman

He's quite frustrating. Seems a decent guy and he's turned in excellent performances in the likes of Lone Star, Dazed And Confused, Frailty, The Lincoln Lawyer and others, but then he does a ton of half-assed rom-coms where he struts around with his shirt off for half the running time.

Who on here is gay for Sahara? Loki?

Has anyone seen Cosmopolis?

I saw it yesterday. I found it absolutely fascinating, but ultimately a little frustrating, almost entirely due to an ending stretch that just doesn't click. For those who are unaware of the plot - Robert Pattinson plays a jaded 28-year-old billionaire who is more focused on getting a haircut than protecting his fortune and life, both of which appear to be in peril. The majority of the film takes place in his limo, as various characters come and go, all indulging in lengthy, obtuse conversations about life and finances. In this respect, it reminded me an awful lot of Waking Life, a film I would place in my top ten worst of all time list. Here, however, the musings never once bothered me, nor did the glacial pace.

Pattinson is absolutely brilliant, especially when you consider that the greatest theatrical flourish he gets to show in the entire film is a smirk. He is, somewhat ironically, utterly vampiric throughout, all dead eyes and apathy. His character craves sex but gains no pleasure from it. In many ways, it's about connection. The obvious allegory is to the global economic downturn but it's an exceptionally claustrophobic look at depression too. For a David Cronenberg film, it's surprisingly minimalist, and only briefly flirts with body horror.

The final act is a problem though, as Pattinson comes face to face with his would-be assassin. It's surprisingly clunky and just doesn't quite work. Irritatingly, the film closes on an excellent line of dialogue that doesn't feel entirely earned. I can see why people would hate Cosmopolis. I didn't love it, but I respect the hell out of it, even if it falls short. I think it's nearly out of cinemas now, and I'm guessing it didn't do too well. The thought of the R-Patz fanbase seeing it is kind of amusing. Incidentally, I saw it in an arthouse cinema and at least four people walked out. Of an arthouse cinema.

Anyways, I wouldn't neccessarily call it an enjoyable experience, but it's definitely thought-provoking, and it's worth seeing for Pattinson, who, for me, has finally shown that he could be something special.

He's quite frustrating. Seems a decent guy and he's turned in excellent performances in the likes of Lone Star, Dazed And Confused, Frailty, The Lincoln Lawyer and others, but then he does a ton of half-assed rom-coms where he struts around with his shirt off for half the running time.

Yessir. It's like an enormous warm blanket of a movie, the sort of Saturday matinee movie that Indiana Jones or The Mummy hark back to. And, let's face it girls, he's a handsome guy.

Add A Time To Kill to that list! Apparently hes class in Magic Mike too.

Saw The Amazing Spiderman....and absolutely loved it. Lots of fantastic performances all round, loved Garfield, Stone and Leary. And Peter Parkers mum is Miss Honey from Matilda. Some scenes like the one on the roof with just Gwen and Peter are wonderful. Its also really funny. Captain Stacys line of "What do I look like the mayor or Tokyo" or something like that was quality.

Gwen Stacy > Mary Jane Watson

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Green Goblin then for the 2nd film?

Edited by Cobra1000

Saw The Amazing Spiderman....and absolutely loved it. Lots of fantastic performances all round, loved Garfield, Stone and Leary. And Peter Parkers mum is Miss Honey from Matilda. Some scenes like the one on the roof with just Gwen and Peter are wonderful. Its also really funny. Captain Stacys line of "What do I look like the mayor or Tokyo" or something like that was quality.

Gwen Stacy > Mary Jane Watson

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Green Goblin then for the 2nd film?

First thing that popped into my head when i saw it but wasnt too sure. sounded a bit like dafoe although it obviously wasnt

[close spoiler]

");document.close();