DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
I look at Lloyd Kaufmann as a modern day Roger Corman. The films are shitty, but made with love. Would rather watch that any day than some Nic Cage shite like Knowing.

It's a good comparison. Corman's far superior to Kaufmann, I think. He has a host of genuine horror classics like The Fall Of The House Of Usher, Masque Of The Red Death and A Bucket Of Blood under his belt amongst others. I don't think Kaufmann has come close to making anything of that quality.

There's no reason why he couldn't and that's why it's a good comparison. He clearly is a film encyclopaedia and I think he would have the talent to pull something off of that calibre if he actually went the Corman route of trying to make something that is actually genuinely good on a shoestring rather than settling for something schlocky and daft. He's clearly better than that.

• Paid Members
You say that like Roger Corman isn't still making films.

I try and erase the made-for-SyFy Crabosaurus v Mega-Donkey shite that he produces these days from my memory on a daily basis :(

You say that like Roger Corman isn't still making films.

I try and erase the made-for-SyFy Crabosaurus v Mega-Donkey shite that he produces these days from my memory on a daily basis :(

Sharktopus is a hilariously bad campy treasure. As long as you don't watch the TV edits of the films there's some good stuff in there.

The Lloyd Kaufman/Troma discussion has persuaded me to dig out my Make Your Own Damn Movie! DVD boxset, which I got about five or six years ago but still haven't watched much of. I loved the book of the same name, it was one of the few items in my holdall when I was an actual tramp. I'm tempted to buy his newer books, are they dead good?

• Paid Members
I'll forgive him anything for Galaxy of Terror.

Great screenshots of it here:-

http://spam-alternative.blogspot.com/2011/...6a61037e0cbf990

It's on YouTube as well:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKj7ZGd3b9U...der&list=UL

• Paid Members

I was ahead of the game with GoT - I had the VHS, and at the time it wasn't on DVD, so I burned a copy and then sold the tape, and then gave lots of copies out to people. Everyone goes on about the obvious, but I think that neglects the awesome sequence where

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Erin Gray and Eddie Albert are all lovey dovey, and then she goes on to get fucked over by those tentacles - the head crushing is pretty cool, but when her intestines burst it really disgusted me

[close spoiler]

");document.close();. The whole thing has a really depressing quality that is missing from a lot of US horror, and kinda reminds me of the hopelessness of some Italian works of the era.

• Paid Members
I look at Lloyd Kaufmann as a modern day Roger Corman. The films are shitty, but made with love. Would rather watch that any day than some Nic Cage shite like Knowing.

Spot on. Thats why those docs are so awesome. People essentially stumbling through learning film making from scratch. The passion and will power that goes into the films is great. Theres a scene in one where Lloyd is trying his damndest to explain how to make script alterations to the clueless script supervisor. Frankly with people like that its a miracle they get made. Its fantastic insight.

The Make Your Own Damn Movie box set is great but does contain alot of stuff available on other releases to pad it out to 5 discs. Its ace though. The books are cracking. I think I have four of them. Should get Sell.

I ordered The Best of Tromadance vol.1 DVD the other day. Its a ambition of mine to submit a short film to it.

The Make Your Own Damn Movie box set is great but does contain alot of stuff available on other releases to pad it out to 5 discs. Its ace though.

I don't own any other Troma discs, except Jenna Fischer's film Lollilove and I think I've got the first three or four Toxic Avengers on bare-bones region 2 DVD. But I think Troma's films are shite, generally, so the boxset is great for me. All the tips and docs and none of the awful, awful films.

Over the past few days watched the following :

Junk - Japanese Zombie movie from the late 90's if i remember, not as good as i remember it to be but still a average action/horror movie

One Arm Hero - Part of the White Lotus Cult, Sam the Iron Bridge trilogy, just wire fu i was pretty disappointed really, its just asif someone said hide to a cast member and instead of hiding they put there arm up like buzz lightyear then were on top of a 3 story house :), wasnt for me...

Black Mask (Uncut Ritek) probably the best version of the movie out there and i absolutely loved it a lot of blood and violence which i couldnt remember in the first sitting which i did probably when it first came out but absolutely loved it, its the Jet Li i grew up loving to watch in the likes of Shaolin Temple, OUTIC and Tai Chi Master etc

Finally last night which made me be up for hours i got round to watching the amazing......

Love Exposure all 4hrs of it, well i wont give anything away but if you like Asian Cinema seek it out as its got absolutely everything you would like in a movie :)

There are four. Make (the one I've read), Direct, Produce and Sell. I guess my concern with them is how much repeated content there is across them.

There are technically 5, you forgot "All I learned about film making, I learned from the Toxic Avenger" which is written by Lloyd and James Gunn. Its kind of a biography of Troma, but it does have plenty detail in film making.

edit - My favourite Troma movies are probably Poultrygeist and Class of Nuke em High.

Favourite Non-Lloyd troma movie is Lollilove.

Edited by Kawaii Guy