DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Come on now, own up, someone on this board must have bought The Human Centipede since it was released last week

I havent seen it myself, but might rent it out of morbid curiosity

Downloaded it months ago. The villain is good but the film kind of plods along. I was a bit dissappointed.

Thats exactly how I describe it.

Any horror comes from your own imagination on what it would be like to be sewn to your best friends asshole...or that of a random chinese bloke.

• Paid Members

Me and the wife will fork out for it at some point, I dare say.

My heavily pregnant wife appreciated us watching Dumplings last night, a Hong Kong horror film about some ageing actress who tries to find the key to eternal youth by eating dead foetuses. At least it was a change from the long haired female ghouls you usually get in Oriental horror, but it still wasn't very good. The director is called Fruit Chan though, which earns it an extra point.

4/10.

We did see a long haired ghoul in Shutter though, a Thai effort from another amusingly named director - Parkpoom Wongpoom. What a fucking great name. Shame the film didn't live up to it though - usual stuff about vengeful ghost, but at least it didn't have a bit in a lift like most of these films do.

4/10.

We had a Neil Marshall double bill as well courtesy of Dog Soldiers and The Descent. Dog Soldiers is still great fun and has quite a decent twist in it as well. The ending's crap and doesn't make any sense at all, but the bit with the cow is fantastic and Sean Pertwee is as fun as he always is. He's underrated, that bloke.

The Descent rewarded another viewing though but I get the impression that Marshall doesn't know how to end his films, going for a Carpenter-esque bluff ending that isn't really necessary here. It's still fantastic though with a slow build built around characterisation, which was nice. The sequel seems to be getting something of a reappraisal but I know I may well hate it.

7/10 and 9/10 respectively.

Dumplings works better as a 40 minute short, which can be found on the Three Extremes DVD, along with 'Cut' (by Park Chan-Wook, director of the vendance trilogy) and 'The Box' by Takeshi Miike

Easily the best of the 3. Dumplings is average but it does look super nice.

• Moderators
EDIT: The one good thing about this film is Mr Cage himself. TO be honest i think he's been dire in most of his films over the past few years, but in this hes pure gold. Good job by him, and when hes dressed as his batman-esq superhero alter ego named "Big Daddy", he does a cracking Adam west impression. Im not sure if thats what he was trying to do, but thats the feeling i got from it.

5/10

It absolutely has to be intentional! There's that bit where him and hit-girl go see kick-ass and when they leave he does the most Adam West cape-swish-and-run ever. I could almost see the spinning sound effect flying up on screen.

• Paid Members
Dumplings works better as a 40 minute short, which can be found on the Three Extremes DVD, along with 'Cut' (by Park Chan-Wook, director of the vendance trilogy) and 'The Box' by Takeshi Miike

Yes, we watched Cut last night but we haven't watched the final part yet. I did like Cut but it was too gimmicky at times although there was a nice twist near the end. I'm starting to think that we've actually seen all the really good horror / 'extreme' films that Tartan and Palisades have ever put out though.

Me and the wife will fork out for it at some point, I dare say.

My heavily pregnant wife appreciated us watching Dumplings last night, a Hong Kong horror film about some ageing actress who tries to find the key to eternal youth by eating dead foetuses. At least it was a change from the long haired female ghouls you usually get in Oriental horror, but it still wasn't very good. The director is called Fruit Chan though, which earns it an extra point.

4/10.

We did see a long haired ghoul in Shutter though, a Thai effort from another amusingly named director - Parkpoom Wongpoom. What a fucking great name. Shame the film didn't live up to it though - usual stuff about vengeful ghost, but at least it didn't have a bit in a lift like most of these films do.

4/10.

We had a Neil Marshall double bill as well courtesy of Dog Soldiers and The Descent. Dog Soldiers is still great fun and has quite a decent twist in it as well. The ending's crap and doesn't make any sense at all, but the bit with the cow is fantastic and Sean Pertwee is as fun as he always is. He's underrated, that bloke.

The Descent rewarded another viewing though but I get the impression that Marshall doesn't know how to end his films, going for a Carpenter-esque bluff ending that isn't really necessary here. It's still fantastic though with a slow build built around characterisation, which was nice. The sequel seems to be getting something of a reappraisal but I know I may well hate it.

7/10 and 9/10 respectively.

I thought Shutter was quite good myself and I am not really in to the Asian horror thing. I watched that and 'Pray' back to back. That was a fun little J horror but if you didn;t like Shutter or Dumplings, probably best to avoid.

Yes, we watched Cut last night but we haven't watched the final part yet. I did like Cut but it was too gimmicky at times although there was a nice twist near the end. I'm starting to think that we've actually seen all the really good horror / 'extreme' films that Tartan and Palisades have ever put out though.

The Miike short isnt particulary great, which is usually the case with him. Produces the odd gem between putting out ropey efforts. If you look at the Tartan catalouge, alot of it is complete guff, only seemingly released through riding on the coat-tails of the best few, particularly in the case of Tartan Asia Extreme

Anywho, my fiance bought me American: The Bill Hicks Story on Blu Ray for my birthday, and while there wasnt alot I didnt know already, its very well made with animation/photo hybrid style they chose, and some great rare footage in there too

• Paid Members

^ There are one or two gems in there outside of the acknowledged belters. Infection is great fun even if it largely makes no sense, Phone is derivative of stuff like Ringu but really well done and Marebito is absolutely amazing. The stuff put out since the Palisades takeover has been dreadful though.

Gladstone, you've cool yourself a cool ass chick, she watches some interesting movies with you. Mine won't go near a horror movie.

She'll watch any old weird stuff that I find on Amazon. She doesn't like westerns though, but I'm sure I can fix her. I reckon High Plains Drifter might bring her round.

She'll watch any old weird stuff that I find on Amazon. She doesn't like westerns though, but I'm sure I can fix her. I reckon High Plains Drifter might bring her round.

Westworld or Stage Coach, may be also worth a bet?

• Paid Members

Definitely Westworld, because it's not really a western so I can fool her with it. I'm looking for more offbeat stuff which is why I thought of High Plains Drifter. Tears Of The Black Tiger is bonkers too, she'll probably like that.

• Paid Members

Day: Yesterday

Time: Evening

Company: Myself and my good friend, Richtor

Film: The Other Guys

Rating: 3.5 stars

Comments: I had a ball watching this film. I found some of the back and forths and banter hilarious. Buddy film for all to enjoy. (Unless you don't find Will Ferrall funny)