DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I watched "Nazis At The Centre Of The Earth" last night, starring the always crappy Jake Busey.

It was dull, badly acted, laughably-scripted crappolla (just as I expected and hoped for) until around the 50 minute mark when suddenly...

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

A giant robotic Adolf Hitler turns up

..and everything becomes fucking amazing. It's the Asylum guys once again so you know what you are letting yourself in for. It's totally worth getting through the dull start once the home-stretch kicks in. Hilariously amusing shitness!

Limitless is awful. It's just extremely pointless, especially with the altered ending.

Can't wait to see just how many minutes before you get bored Gladders. Word of warning; if you have surround sound, maybe don't turn the dial past '10'. Zimmer's soundtrack is insanely obtrusive throughout.

• Paid Members

I didn't know it was 2 and a half hours long. People are going to die if it's shit. If I invest that amount of time in a film it had better be as good as Where Eagles Dare or Pulp Fiction or something.

• Paid Members

Been unearthing a few joys on my V+ box recently. A particular stand-out was The Tin Star, a Western from 1957 starring Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins. Fonda is Morgan "Morg" Hickman, a former sheriff turned bounty hunter, who rides into town to pick up the reward on a dead criminal. Perkins plays Ben Owens, the sheriff of this particular town, an inexperienced and gung-ho young man who's only been appointed to the role to prevent the town villain from getting the job. As Morg has to wait for his reward to get processed, a few crises show up to test young Owens, who doesn't respond well, and is only saved by intervention of the bounty hunter, leading to a mentor/student relationship developing the two.

An excellent bit of viewing, entertaining from start to finish, with a very welcome minor appearance from the great Lee Van Cleef, and the incredibly prolific Neville Brand doing an excellent turn as Bart Bogardus, the town scumbag. Also, an appearance from Betsy "Jason Voorhees' Mum" Palmer as the young sheriff's love interest - only really remarkable because her and Perkins' most notable roles are as psychotics, and here they are playing young lovers in a Western.

It's not the greatest Western you'll ever see, but it's pretty fun, and has some nice touches throughout. Recommended.

• Paid Members
I'm going to watch Inception tonight. I was going to finally watch The Dark Knight, but is there actually any point? I know I won't like it. There's a chance I might like Inception.

I'm an hour in and I'm thinking the only thing that will stop me from nodding off is if Marion Cotillard gets them out.

• Paid Members

Anybody seen the new Spiderman yet? I think I built myself up way too much from the trailers :(. It was good, better than the other 3 films, but I felt a bit disappointed at the end. I think I was just expecting too much from it.

• Paid Members
Watched Friends With Benefits last night. Only worth watching because Mila Kunis is half naked half the time. That's a shallow opinion but deeper than the the film. What most annoyed me about it is that the film has some sneery opinions of shit, predictable rom-coms but is exactly that. So either they didn't take their own advice or they weren't as clever with it as they thought. Had a few funny lines and Timberlake and Kunis were good with what they had. Vomit inducing for the most part though.

*Deletes from the Sky Programme Planner*

Gladstone's not posted to say he finished. He may have died.

I watched Troll Hunter over the weekend. Man, that was fun. The effects creaked at times, but for a low-budget effort it was impressive, and the right kind of funny, as well.

• Moderators
I saw a clip where Kunis brings Timberlake to a flash mob. I hope whoever wrote that had a stroke seconds later.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

His grand gesture at the end to win her back is to organise a surprise flash mob. Ugh.

(I still stand by what I said a couple pages back though, in that Timberlake and Kunis are both good so I enjoyed the film in spite of itself)

Anybody seen the new Spiderman yet? I think I built myself up way too much from the trailers :(. It was good, better than the other 3 films, but I felt a bit disappointed at the end. I think I was just expecting too much from it.

I've just got back from it now and I thought it was pretty damn good. Miles better than all three of the Raimi/Mcguire films, anyway. There was only a couple of really dumb moments, the CGI wasn't overdone or awful and the acting was decent. The girl who played Gwen has impressed me in everything I've seen her in so far.