DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Went out to see:

Thor

TO be honest i wasnt expecting a whole lot, i just had this idea it was going to be really really bad. But thankfully i was wrong! I wont go to much into it, as its a fairly new release, and some guys will want to see it, but i personally think it has been made in the best possible way that it could of been made. Visually, it is stunning. The story is also good, as to be hoenst i didnt know the first thing about the Marvel univeres thor (i had a rough idea of the mythology side of thor), and it all came through rather well.

Its also packed with little notes for the geeks to pick up on. (References/Appearences from other charecters etc), and otherwise also has a bit more footage after the credits!

So overall, quite good, not the best movie ever, but by far not the worst superhero movie of all time either. Worth a watch!

8/10

Same here, had a rough idea to the whole mythology as well and I thought it was really good too, the way they manage to shift the movie from Asgard to Earth and back etc is handled well considering the need to integrate this movie into the slightly more realistic Iron Man & Incredible Hulk world.

Visually it

• Paid Members
Went out to see:

Thor

TO be honest i wasnt expecting a whole lot, i just had this idea it was going to be really really bad. But thankfully i was wrong! I wont go to much into it, as its a fairly new release, and some guys will want to see it, but i personally think it has been made in the best possible way that it could of been made. Visually, it is stunning. The story is also good, as to be hoenst i didnt know the first thing about the Marvel univeres thor (i had a rough idea of the mythology side of thor), and it all came through rather well.

Its also packed with little notes for the geeks to pick up on. (References/Appearences from other charecters etc), and otherwise also has a bit more footage after the credits!

So overall, quite good, not the best movie ever, but by far not the worst superhero movie of all time either. Worth a watch!

8/10

Same here, had a rough idea to the whole mythology as well and I thought it was really good too, the way they manage to shift the movie from Asgard to Earth and back etc is handled well considering the need to integrate this movie into the slightly more realistic Iron Man & Incredible Hulk world.

Visually it

• Paid Members

I saw Thor also and really enjoyed it. It's not without its flaws and I thought the 3D was pretty rubbish overall but I really liked Chris Hemsworth's performance and how the Thor character was presented in general. What I enjoyed more though, and what really ups the quality of the film, is Tom Hiddleston as Loki. The character and the performance were absolutely superb.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Also that secret end credits scene is easily the best one they've done so far. LOKI IN AVENGERS!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Watched Football Factory and Insidious just recently, here's what I thought...

Insidious - Started off very promising, some really creepy bits. I'd not been to see a horror at the movies for years and I was really enjoying the build up in the early going. However, I couldn't shake the nagging line they're running with in all the ads of "It's not the house that's haunted - it's your son!". If this were true, surely this was the whole storyline with it's arse hanging out of the window for all to see. Where could they go from there? Well, where they went from there was totally and utterly downhill. The first sort of 1/4 of the movie was really pretty good, the rest, despite some decent scary images at times was - undoubtedly, awful.

If you're thinking about watching it, don't. Has anyone else seen it yet? If so, what did you think? For me, 3.5 / 10

Football Factory - For some reason, this film had always escaped me, finally got round to watching it on Sunday when it was on the TV. Even though i've got no time for Danny Dyer, he was pretty decent in this and the other characters were interesting and brutal. However, there were some bits like his confrontation with the guy who copped the baseball bat in the back of the head that lead nowhere and the end fight scene was a massive let down I thought. It built and built toward the Millwall vs. Chelsea only for it to be dampened out quite quickly.

I enjoyed the film but don't feel as though it's worth all the praise i'd heard about it. 6 / 10

• Paid Members

Insidious - Started off very promising, some really creepy bits. I'd not been to see a horror at the movies for years and I was really enjoying the build up in the early going. However, I couldn't shake the nagging line they're running with in all the ads of "It's not the house that's haunted - it's your son!". If this were true, surely this was the whole storyline with it's arse hanging out of the window for all to see. Where could they go from there? Well, where they went from there was totally and utterly downhill. The first sort of 1/4 of the movie was really pretty good, the rest, despite some decent scary images at times was - undoubtedly, awful.

If you're thinking about watching it, don't. Has anyone else seen it yet? If so, what did you think? For me, 3.5 / 10

I'd say 3.5 / 10 was very harsh. Yes the plot goes a little walkabouts in the second half of the film but as a standalone horror movie it does exactly what you'd want. I found the whole thing incredibly creepy, the jumpy bits were very, very jumpy and the buildups to them were as tense as anything. I think I may have gone in with different (lower) expectations than you in terms of how good a 'film' it would be, and just went in for a shit-your-pants-scary hour and a half, and that's what I got. 7.5 out of 10 for me.

• Paid Members

This might not be the relevent thread but did anybody watch:

Catfish

Basically this a documentary about a man who meets a girl on facebook. It starts when he recieves a painting from an 8 year old girl, and through her he meets her 19 year old sister (all via facebook). They eventually start talking (via phone)and texting. Things are going great until a few random things start to pop up that might suggest that this girl is not who she says she is, so he drives to her house (on the other side of the country) to find out.

I wont ruin the ending, but it was a cracking watch (was shown on more 4 as part of the True stories season), and i was completely sucked in by this. Some have said its a fake, and it kind of did seem like that at points, but either way it was a good watch which is what was important.

If you can hunt it down, please please do.

9/10

I'd say 3.5 / 10 was very harsh. Yes the plot goes a little walkabouts in the second half of the film but as a standalone horror movie it does exactly what you'd want. I found the whole thing incredibly creepy, the jumpy bits were very, very jumpy and the buildups to them were as tense as anything. I think I may have gone in with different (lower) expectations than you in terms of how good a 'film' it would be, and just went in for a shit-your-pants-scary hour and a half, and that's what I got. 7.5 out of 10 for me.

My brother went to see it and said it was literally the worst film he'd even sense. He may have been using the word Jamie Redknapp version of the word but you get the idea, he thought it was gash.

I went to see Cedar Rapids over the long weekend and it was brilliant. It's the kind of indie comedy that comes along every now and then pretty much under the radar, despite some big-ish names in it. I've been a big fan of Ed Helms since he was in The Office and it's surprising he's not got more high profile work since the Hangover (probably because he's not as ridiculously hansome as Bradley Cooper or isn't fat and beardy) but he's perfect in this role as a nerdy insurance salesman. He brings the mix of comedy, sympathy and genuine emotion that really makes you root for him. Supporting cast is also great and it's just a really good film. Won't have a massive appeal to people that need 3D, Facebook jokes and Anna Faris, but well worth checking out if it's on near you.

• Paid Members

Saw The Expendables the other night. For that amount of top action stars to be in the film, I was expecting 90 minutes of pure ownage. Instead I got a 10 minute finale with some ownage, and the other 80 minutes with just tedious Stallone acting. I may be a little harsh with this, as the story was OK, but I was looking forward to a crash-bang-wallop film with an innovative death scene every minute, and I didn't get it!

Latest reviews up on the blog are Thor and Scream 4. Have a read if you have the time.

To comment on what people are saying about Thor though, my main problem was that it seemed more like a webisode for The Avengers, rather than a film in its own right.

• Paid Members

Catfish

Basically this a documentary about a man who meets a girl on facebook. It starts when he recieves a painting from an 8 year old girl, and through her he meets her 19 year old sister (all via facebook). They eventually start talking (via phone)and texting. Things are going great until a few random things start to pop up that might suggest that this girl is not who she says she is, so he drives to her house (on the other side of the country) to find out.

I wont ruin the ending, but it was a cracking watch (was shown on more 4 as part of the True stories season), and i was completely sucked in by this. Some have said its a fake, and it kind of did seem like that at points, but either way it was a good watch which is what was important.

9/10

Don't suppose you know anywhere i can watch this? Was meant to watch it last night but completely forgot about it and doesn't seem to be on 4OD either.

i recently watched a couple of films, namely Date Night on Sky Movies HD and Alien on Bluray.

Date Night was a decent comedy romp, not amazing but certainly watchable, Fey and Carell are the only decent characters though.

Alien, i dont really need to say much about it - other than it looks amazing in hi-def.

will be getting round to seeing the other 3 soon (got the alien anthology bluray for

Edited by stingersplash

• Paid Members

Catfish

9/10

Don't suppose you know anywhere i can watch this? Was meant to watch it last night but completely forgot about it and doesn't seem to be on 4OD either.

I could only really say to keep an eye out for it on More 4, as they might repeat it. Although im sure you can find a copy of it on the internet somewhere.

If you can though, check it out!