The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Good day at chester le street today for Durham, Stokes is on fire with a great 185 to really help Durham.

Looking like Durham can win there 3rd out of 4 county championships.

Really enjoying county cricket this year. Lots of great young English players coming through including Stokes.

Twenty20 is looking really exciting this year with lots of great overseas players - loved watching Wayne Purnell last night bowling massively fast down for Sussex. In this weather there could have been nowhere nicer to watch cricket than Hove last night. Well worth the trip down from London.

And as a Sussex fan I'm delighted we've come roaring back into division 1 in the championship. Watch out for James Anyon (fastest English bowler currently playing regular championship cricket) and Luke Wells (great young batsman).

Cracking recovery from England to have gone from 26/3 to 486. Cook just missing his century, Prior with a brilliant innings and then the bowlers all being fairly useful with the bat. Broad continues on the path of being a potential great all-rounder with a splendid 54. Pietersen once again fails to deliver, but would the selectors have the courage to drop him? The consensus with KP is that he'll get out fairly cheaply but he can also deliver an innings from nowhere and score really well. At least yesterday's wicket wasn't to a left arm spinner...

We'll see what the Sri Lankans can do with the bat today. They definitely need to come out with some confidence and forget about the collapse from a few days ago.

I went to my first Twenty20 yesterday and really enjoyed it. I'm making use of the fact that Headingley is within a sensible walking distance of me (and my house from July will back onto the North East stand so there'll be no excuses) and going to a couple of a games. I've gone to a couple of games at Aigburth when Lancashire have had games there, but never a T20, so yesterday was a new experience. I don't know whether it was the due to the weather or if attendances are usually pretty high, but yesterday had a really good turnout.

As an interesting fact, Yorkshire have never won a game when I've attended (whether a one day game or one day of a county game), Lancashire have never lost a game when I've attended.

Although Finn did okay coming in, the pace attack could've done with a bit more variety this test - Broad, Tremlett and Finn are a bit too similar to play as a trio so I would've liked to have seen maybe Onions come back in for this test, his style is the nearest thing we have to McGrath who always had a great record using the slope at Lords.

Pietersen's innings was much better I thought, it's like watching a guy completely rebuild his game during a test series. Fascinating. In many ways, this is the best batting order England have had in decades. I agree that only having 4 bowlers of which 3 are so similar in style has left us thin on tactics.

It's been a good series so far!

• 2 weeks later...

TMS was on top form yesterday. For some reason that I must have missed but was probably as a result of filling the extended rain delays they were discussing collective nouns for various creatures when they mentioned that the collective noun for baboons is a flange. A dirty smoker's cough suggested that Tuffers was beginning to corpse when Aggers *innocently* asked what a flange was. They strung it out for 20 minutes with lots of giggling while Aggers played the straight man - "lots of tweets providing different definitions of the word flange" - while Tufnell kept repeating "I couldn't possibly comment". Schoolboy smut at its best.

They seem to be on magnificent form all round recently. There was a comment from Aggers in the last Test (though it could have so easily been Cardiff) where Aggers was talking about the difficulty in putting a rubber on. Michael Vaughan was sat in a corner giggling to himself like a school child and Aggers quickly realised how he could have been perceived and tried to correct himself.

There are days when TMS is absolute gold...it's helped me through a couple of long days.

England announced the one-day squads for the Sri Lanka matches today

Twenty20:

Stuart Broad (captain), Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter, Michael Lumb, Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann, Chris Woakes, Luke Wright.

One-day Internationals:

Alastair Cook (captain), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter, Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann, Jonathan Trott, Chris Woakes.

No surprises really. I'd have been interested to see if Ben Stokes had come in for Bopara if he'd been fit. Hopefully Woakes keeps his place when Bresnan's fit and they keep Anderson for tests from now on. Would've liked to see James Taylor in the squad but English conditions under lights mean you're always better off with a batter who can bowl a bit. It's along the same lines with Briggs/Rashid, hopefully they come into contention when we play abroad on drier pitches and we have the balls to play two proper spinners when the pitches are turning.

• 1 month later...

In short, Indian's are bell ends.

I can't believe that Broad is playing in this match. In current form, he wouldn't get me out if I was batting with a rolled up newspaper. Bresnan is the man!

I see we've lost the toss, which is shit. It'll swing early doors today.

I can't believe that Broad is playing in this match. In current form, he wouldn't get me out if I was batting with a rolled up newspaper. Bresnan is the man!

I see we've lost the toss, which is shit. It'll swing early doors today.

I guess today confirmed, if there was any doubt, that Broad is in the 'untouchable' category. If they haven't dropped him now, they won't.

So....no decision review systems on LBW's for this series? What the fuck is all that about then?

Pretty much sums it up. They've had a couple of dodgy ones and you know how they like to fly off the handle at everything.

Would've been nice to have a bowl first, these are Jimmy Anderson conditions. It's swinging around at the moment, but I don't think their bowling unit is all that. Really looking forward to this series.

Ridiculous stuff that India don't want the review system for LBW appeals in this series. They're whinging fuckers when they want to be...I was listening to a preview of the series from Test Match Sofa and they were saying how India are the top team in the world, but they're not always using that power for the good of the game, as demonstrated by the decision in this series.

To me, India seem to be in a spot of bother. With Khan out of action for presumably the rest of this game at least, it leaves India with a three pronged attack, one of which is a spin bowler. They've now potentially got Dhoni bowling at some point during the innings with Dravid taking the gloves. Pietersen has made his slowest ever 50 in Test cricket (if I'm not mistaken) but hopefully he'll pick up pace now and start to add runs with Bell. The Indian team haven't had a lot of batting either, since their warm-up game against Somerset and Strauss was spent predominantly with them bowling. If England feel like attacking, they could well have a crack at India in the final hour or so this evening and try to grab some early wickets.

Edited by LariatTom