The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

It must look mental to non-fans when a not-out decision is appealed and it shows it hitting the stumps (sometimes full on) and remains not out, I think they are still too half-hearted with the technology. In Tennis with Hawk-eye if a ball is given out but is shown to just be clipping the line then it's reversed, I lnow it's slightly different but it's the same technology.

I understand where you are coming from but the flight of a tennis ball and a cricket ball are totally different. Scientists are still trying to work out how reverse swing works and why it only happens in certain conditions. I am no scientist (although I am sporting a Professor Brian Cox type hairstyle at the moment) but I believe that it is easier to predict where the ball will land on the surface, like a tennis baseline than it is predicting a ball to bounce up to a vertical object.

• Paid Members

Some more bad news for Simon Jones:-

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket...html?CMP=chrome

I still hoped one day that he might get to turn out for England again but it just seems even more unlikely now. Such a shame, I think he could have been a truly great bowler over a long period of time rather than one that had a fleeting but impressive run.

With tennis, they don't have to predict anything. It's just judging where the ball actually landed. Hawkeye doesn't have to make assumptions, like it does with an lbw.

Yeah that makes sense, ignore me :laugh: There's still something that doesn't sit well with the on-field call business though.

• Paid Members
Scientists are still trying to work out how reverse swing works and why it only happens in certain conditions.

I'm no scientist but I can tell you how reverse swing works; ball tampering.

Nonsense. Read some Simon Hughes.

EDIT - Obviously SOME reverse swing has happened like that over the years, but to cloak it all the same blanket description is silly.

Edited by Gladstone Small

You need to deliberately wet one side of the ball to get reverse swing, either through sweat or saliva, which is not legal. You can dry the ball with a towel, you can polish the ball without the use of an artificial substance and you can remove mud from the ball under supervision. Trescothick's autobiography lifted the lid off the legality of reverse swing when he said that England bowlers ate mints because sugary saliva is better for polishing the ball. That's ball tampering by the letter of the law and when you consider all the other things you can get away with - lifting the quarter-seam, rubbing sweat (along with lip balm, sun lotion and hair products) into the ball - and the speed with which they now get reverse swing, I think Occam's razor comes into effect. When you consider Umar Gul getting reverse swing inside 11 overs with a white ball, it suggests that something's more than a little fishy. In the 90s, it took 30 to 35 overs to get reverse swing.

Edited by mikey

I don't think they're altogether bad, just when they're bad they are horrid.

I don't know, the West Indies have been horrid for a very long time now. I don't think this is far off an all time low for them, but at least they seem to have some talented young players. I wonder if it is about time for them to chuck out the deadwood-Sammy, Smith and any seam bowler not named Rampaul or Roach-and start again. I also think Chanderpaul's time is done, as great a player as he has been. But then again, with home series against Pakistan and India coming up, they need anyone with a bit of experience to avoid an absolute mauling.

Amazing to think how big a deal it was a decade ago when we beat them here, and then again when smashed them comfortably in the Caribbean back in '04. Tony Cozier is one of my favourite commentators, but every time I hear him now, there's always a bit of sadness and disappointment in his voice. In 60-odd years of watching them he's probably never seen it this bad.

In lighter news, India v Australia should be a cracker tomorrow. Winner faces Sri Lanka or England, so I'd probably rather the Aussies win (if we get through of course)

Edited by Sergio Bellend

I don't know, the West Indies have been horrid for a very long time now. I don't think this is far off an all time low for them, but at least they seem to have some talented young players. I wonder if it is about time for them to chuck out the deadwood-Sammy, Smith and any seam bowler not named Rampaul or Roach-and start again. I also think Chanderpaul's time is done, as great a player as he has been. But then again, with home series against Pakistan and India coming up, they need anyone with a bit of experience to avoid an absolute mauling.

Amazing to think how big a deal it was a decade ago when we beat them here, and then again when smashed them comfortably in the Caribbean back in '04. Tony Cozier is one of my favourite commentators, but every time I hear him now, there's always a bit of sadness and disappointment in his voice. In 60-odd years of watching them he's probably never seen it this bad.

In lighter news, India v Australia would be a cracker tomorrow. Winner faces Sri Lanka or England, so I'd probably rather the Aussies win (if we get through of course)

actually the winner tomorrow will play pakistan we would get either south africa or new zealand

LINK

In lighter news, India v Australia would be a cracker tomorrow. Winner faces Sri Lanka or England, so I'd probably rather the Aussies win (if we get through of course)

actually the winner tomorrow will play pakistan we would get either south africa or new zealand

LINK

Bollocks, I knew that. :rolleyes: Sat watching them yap on about it all day. God knows how I reached the conclusion we'd be playing the India v Aus winner. :duh: Thanks for correcting me.

I'm not following this game closely today...a load of uni work is going to prevent me from watching/listening to it live. However, I'm planning on staying up for most of the night to watch the F1 sessions in Australia, so I'll have plenty of time to catch the highlights on iPlayer (as well as those from yesterday's demolition).

What do you guys make of Michael Yardy flying home from the World Cup with depression? He's not the first player in recent years to suffer from this while on tour with England, and if I'm right, depression played a role in ending Marcus Trescothick's international career. I hope it doesn't do the same for Yardy and he can get the help that he needs to overcome this and be back playing again soon...

It does make you wonder whether the ECB and the ICC are going to have to start taking a closer look at international schedules. The injury list for England is pretty shocking at the moment, but when you consider they've been touring for the best part of half a year with only a couple of days at home, it's not surprising.