The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

I watched until lunch last night, and then just needed to get some sleep. I think I need to find something to do during the lunch break, because I just couldn't be bothered waiting for that. We'll see.

Siddle is a bit of a bastard, but that was some excellent bowling from him. He's essentially screwed up the English innings single handedly. Quite a few of the batsmen looked in decent nick, and with the Australian bowlers (apart from Siddle) not being that strong, England can hopefully get a better score for the second innings. The first hour of today's play will be absolutely crucial. If the bowlers can pick up a couple of cheap wickets (one of my former teachers suggested they needed to be "Lidl cheap") then there's a chance we can restrict them to a similar score. For some reason, I've said that Ponting will be out for a duck in this innings.

Alas, I didn't bring my Xbox with me to university...so that's out of the window. I think the Tesco just up the road from my flats is open 24 hours a day, I might pop down there during the break and grab something...

I didn't see what Mikey posted just before me, and he's absolutely right. There's every chance the Australians could be bowled out for less than England managed to make. The game is FAR from over, and I really do think the English bowlers are better. If you take Siddle out of the equation, the Australian bowling wasn't that great. His hat-trick was the damaging blow and it really crippled the batting. The last 6 wickets went for 63 runs and half of those were Siddle's moment of magic. This isn't over by a long shot.

• Moderators

The wicket is starting to flatten. Less and less movement off the seam. It's a green wicket, but there's not enough wear on the ball yet. Aussie 2nd innings, providing we're still in the game, Swann can do a Tuffer's on there. It's rapdily becoming a spinners wicket. No Pace, No Bounce. But there's some nice green on there. After 3 innings of Batsmen on the front foot tearing it up he'll do well, will Swann.

Edited by ButchReedMark

Thought we clawed back quite well, getting Ponting and Clarke early is good. If we can get Hussey early tonight we're into the tail, although the likes of Johnson and Siddle can bat. Australia are still on top but if we can knock em over for 300 odd and bat well then we could well get something out of this game. There's turn in the pitch so Swanny will be key in the fourth innings.

• Paid Members

Cook's the man for that, clearly. Still need to make sure we score runs to try and wipe off that deficit though.

By all accounts we bowled pretty well and had no luck but we always start slowly in an Ashes series, even when we win them, and Swann generally struggles in the first test too - remember he was awful in Cardiff against Australia and struggled in the first test away to South Africa. Still all rather depressing though.,

• Moderators

Jimmy Anderson bowled extremely well in the first session. Nothing approaching luck though. He was hitting the cracks in the pitch and asked questions of Hussey and Haddin and was hugely unlcuky with some lbw decisions. Finn's figures flattered him to be honest.

Jimmy Anderson bowled extremely well in the first session. Nothing approaching luck though. He was hitting the cracks in the pitch and asked questions of Hussey and Haddin and was hugely unlcuky with some lbw decisions. Finn's figures flattered him to be honest.

Jimmy bowled superbly in the first session. Mr Cricket was given out lbw, which he refered, and the replays showed it pitched millimetres outside leg and the decision was reversed. Not long later he was plumb, but Aleem Dar didn't give it (commentators surmised that the previous decision being reversed may have affected him). England couldn't appeal as they had used the last of theirs up on Michael Clarke the day before, where 'Snicko' showed he edged it but as there was nothing on Hotspot it wasn't given, even though there are issues with Hotspot and fine nicks.