New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• Paid Members

Totally loved the episode, but sadly I knew pretty much what was going to happen as at some point before Saturday someone posted on Facebook a transcript of what sounded like a letter from Amy to The Doctor explaining exactly what happened to them. I bloody hate people with the Facebook spoilers, but even more so before its even been shown!

• Paid Members
Also, the Angels were never wiped from existence - I believe when Amy/the Doctor first met them it was in like 3000AD or something mad like that - a long time after the events of the Saturday episode.

The Doctor and Martha first met them in 2007. Blink was set in (almost) present day.

• Paid Members
Also, the Angels were never wiped from existence - I believe when Amy/the Doctor first met them it was in like 3000AD or something mad like that - a long time after the events of the Saturday episode.

When Rory got sucked into the crack, he was edited out of his own history. The reason the Angels came back is because a) the Angels that got sucked into the crack weren't the only ones, and b) even if they had been, the Doctor rebooted the universe (hence, Rory comes back). But I guess you're right in the sense that it's probably completely different Angels (we don't know how long they live, after all).

I'm not saying you're wrong, by the way, just speculating on further detail.

Edited by opcws

If Amy/Rory got sent back to 30s New York, and we can presume they were maybe mid-30's at most (they referenced it being about ten years since they first me the Doctor), then that means they lived until the mid 1980's; surely they could just pop on a commercial airliner, leave New York and solve a whole bunch of problems?

I don't care, though. Cause the real emotional bits were character driven, and their attachments to one another.

If Amy/Rory got sent back to 30s New York, and we can presume they were maybe mid-30's at most (they referenced it being about ten years since they first me the Doctor), then that means they lived until the mid 1980's; surely they could just pop on a commercial airliner, leave New York and solve a whole bunch of problems?

I don't care, though. Cause the real emotional bits were character driven, and their attachments to one another.

I thought the whole point of the place was that the Angels would send them back in time every time they tried to escape, so there is no leaving that building.

Daz is right, essentially Rory and amy could just take a long drive out of New York and the Doctor could see them again. The whole handling of why he can't was bollocks, no matter how you slice it. It doesn't take much away from the emotional heart, but the emotional heart is very much there for behind the scenes reasons as opposed to the writing. If you didn't know the actors had left the show you'd very much expect the Doctor to pop off and see them the first week back.

Moffat said that he'd rewritten the ending because the emotion was wrong. I'm somewhat wondering if the original ending was that the Ponds simply left the Doctor and refused to travel with him anymore. Which is considerably less epic I suppose.

• Paid Members

Is this sort of like when the 10th Doctor had that whole thing in "The Girl in the Fireplace" episode. Due to the time lapse, by the time he got back, she had waited and eventually died.

It was a great episode (The girl in the fireplace), and got a "tear jerk" reaction from me, but I instantly thought "why doesn't he just go back in time". Then again, I presume his was punishing himself for not keeping his promise to her.

Adding into that the finale of "Waters of Mars" where he decides he can change time, and time didn't change (outcome wise) in the end. Maybe from this, and multiple attempts to control time, he has just learnt his lesson and stays out of it now.

Personally I would love to see more crazy "I CAN control time" stuff from The Doctor.

• Paid Members

Weird coincidence: only a year or so late I'm watching Torchwood Miracle Day and it's the one where Captain Jack's just started bumming in late 1920s New York. (Seriously, that was the plot. A whole episode of bumming.) If Amy and Rory are dying of old age in New York in 1938, presumably they were in the (admittedly very big) city at the same time.

Miracle Day should never be counted as part of the Doctor Who Universe, its one of the worst bits of shit I've ever seen, and the ending is such a load of crap I'm hoping they forget it ever happened.

It was a great episode (The girl in the fireplace), and got a "tear jerk" reaction from me, but I instantly thought "why doesn't he just go back in time". Then again, I presume his was punishing himself for not keeping his promise to her.

I thought that was as he had now become part of her Timeline. It was fixed that she died then. It reminded me of this weeks, in that he read the last page therefore it became fixed for The Doctor. Was almost him letting them go as well. I know that's slightly weak so feel free to shoot it down.

Smith is just great. Thank God he's there for the 50th.