What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

I've been watching the latest series of Room 101. Frank Skinner has done really well to take over from Paul Merton and the change from one guest to three has really worked out. They had Danny Baker on one particular episode and the man is an absolute genius.

• Paid Members
I've been watching the latest series of Room 101. Frank Skinner has done really well to take over from Paul Merton and the change from one guest to three has really worked out. They had Danny Baker on one particular episode and the man is an absolute genius.

Yeah I've really been enjoying this series, when it was on in it's original guise, hosted by Nick Hancock, it was one of my favourite shows, and while Paul Merton is great I couldn't really get into it while he was host. I love Frank Skinner though and so far the guests have been pretty good. I'm hoping they have David Mitchell, Charlie Brooker and Frankie Boyle booked for later in the series, it's the perfect format for them, ranting about things they hate.

• Paid Members
Caught the first 3 episodes of Game of Thrones yesterday, and while it's enjoyable I'm struggling to find why everybody raves about it. There's just so much going on and cutting between bits that it's a chore to keep up.

Also spoilers -

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I read ahead to see if anything really good happened in the rest of the season (I wasn't enjoying it enough to be bothered by spoiling it) and it just turns out that the majority of the interesting characters die. So I doubt I'll bother with the rest anyway.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I would highly recommend you keep watching and don't be put off by the spoilers. Game Of Thrones doesn't really kick into episode 5 and from their every episode is fucking crazy good. It takes a little while for the TV show to settle into the fantasy world it's creating but once it does and you work out who's who it's probably the most exciting and gripping show on TV.

• Paid Members
Caught the first 3 episodes of Game of Thrones yesterday, and while it's enjoyable I'm struggling to find why everybody raves about it. There's just so much going on and cutting between bits that it's a chore to keep up.

Also spoilers -

I read ahead to see if anything really good happened in the rest of the season (I wasn't enjoying it enough to be bothered by spoiling it) and it just turns out that the majority of the interesting characters die. So I doubt I'll bother with the rest anyway.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I would highly recommend you keep watching and don't be put off by the spoilers. Game Of Thrones doesn't really kick into episode 5 and from their every episode is fucking crazy good. It takes a little while for the TV show to settle into the fantasy world it's creating but once it does and you work out who's who it's probably the most exciting and gripping show on TV.

Couldn't agree more. It took me perhaps 4 episodes to really get into it, just the sheer amount of characters makes it difficult at first, but I am completely obsessed with it now, started reading the books after season 1 finished and just about to start book 5, trust me it will get even better. The second half of series 2 especially is going to be unbelievable.

• Moderators

Yeah, the number of characters is overwhelming.. it took me about 3-4 episodes to really get into it also, but I ended up loving it even though the ending of the series was a bit flat and rubbish I'm still majorly excited for the next series.

fucking gay CGI dragons

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Just started season 3 of The Sopranos. Really enjoying it, love the characters. The main characters are obviously meant to be and portrayed as bad guys you want to get behind. Tony in particular is a fat aggressive prick, but you can't help but love him. I never read up on anything to do with the series, only heard good things, so I was very surprised with the counselling angle, which is something they have maintained (so far).

It's nice to watch a series that doesn't depend on cliff hangers to get buy. Much like Boardwalk Empire, it has a strong story with interesting characters which is more than sufficient.

Also, I want to wreck Meadow up. Despite her massive arse in season 2, she's back to her best in 3.

Also spoilers -

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Couldn't agree more. It took me perhaps 4 episodes to really get into it, just the sheer amount of characters makes it difficult at first, but I am completely obsessed with it now, started reading the books after season 1 finished and just about to start book 5, trust me it will get even better. The second half of series 2 especially is going to be unbelievable.

Same here, love it. I'm nearly at the end of the first book after starting recently, need to get into the second before season 2 starts or I'll have to Sky Plus it and save it for after I've read. Am I right in thinking Season 2 kicks off around April?

• Paid Members

Yep. 52 days. Counting them down.

Season 2 / A Clash of Kings Spoiler SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I can't even begin to imagine how cool the Battle of the Blackwater is going to be on screen.

Edited by Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members
Yeah, the number of characters is overwhelming.. it took me about 3-4 episodes to really get into it also, but I ended up loving it even though the ending of the series was a bit flat and rubbish I'm still majorly excited for the next series.

fucking gay CGI dragons

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Season 1 Spoiler: SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Are you kidding? In the context of the history and what having 3 dragons means, it's a massive, awesome ending

• Moderators

It felt like they were going for a big "Wow!" moment, but it just wasn't one for me. You have to admit the CGI was a bit rubbish.

Tell you what could have saved it and made it feel a bit more special though - if they hadn't carelessly thrown away a free viewing of her tits in the first episode and had saved it for that moment at the end them it probably would have felt like a more special moment.

Just felt like they could have ended it an episode earlier when they chopped Ned Stark's head off and that would have been a bigger way to end the season. I'm sure there's a good reason why they didn't - most probably because the start of the second season probably doesn't continue right on from the next day where this one ended. I don't know as I've not read the books

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
It felt like they were going for a big "Wow!" moment, but it just wasn't one for me. You have to admit the CGI was a bit rubbish.

Really? I thought it looked pretty awesome.

Season 1 Spoiler:

Just felt like they could have ended it an episode earlier when they chopped Ned Stark's head off and that would have been a bigger way to end the season. I'm sure there's a good reason why they didn't - most probably because the start of the second season probably doesn't continue right on from the next day where this one ended. I don't know as I've not read the books

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Season 1 Spoiler: SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Smell the ratings for episode 10 though after cutting off the head of the lead character and biggest star at the end of episode 9. I thought it worked brilliantly. To be fair though in the book Eddard's death does happen later toward the end of the book though. The only thing really they need to explain after that is Yorren taking Arya to The Wall. But the book does also finish with Daenerys' dragons

• Paid Members

Haha, I thought someone might mention that.....there are a couple of spoilers from the end of season 1 and one very minor one from the end of season 2. I'll go back and edit my posts accordingly so you can tell which is which. I'll try and do the same from now on as hopefully with enough fans on here now there can be some good discussion. I'm sure there's a Thrones thread somewhere isn't there? Might have to resurrect that soon.