What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

HBO is going back to the ballpark with "Eastbound & Down," picking up the comedy series for a fourth season.

Pay cabler confirmed that Danny McBride-starrer, which recently concluded its third season in April, will go forward with eight episodes.

McBride exec produces with Will Ferrell, Chris Henchy, Adam McKay of Gary Sanchez Prods., along with Jody Hill.

Show premiered its third season on Feb. 19 to 1.3 million viewers, with horseracing drama "Luck" as a lead-in, and was paired with "Life's Too Short." The season closed out on April 12 to 1.1 million viewers.

The past season featured McBride's politically incorrect character Kenny Powers -- a former Major League Baseball pitcher -- living in Myrtle Beach, S.C., and coping with a newborn baby as a single parent.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056210

Anyone been watching The Newsroom? I'm kinda mixed towards it. Some of it is great, like Jeff Daniels' performance and

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

the car crash of a main segment within the news show itself this week.

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); And then there's serious weaknesses, like occasional clunky dialogue (it's unnatural and more like pre-prepared speech), the just about passable level of drama and

the unbelievable plot point from this week involving an e-mail.

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); Edited by Vice

Anyone been watching The Newsroom? I'm kinda mixed towards it. Some of it is great, like Jeff Daniels' performance and

the car crash of a main segment within the news show itself this week.

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); And then there's serious weaknesses, like occasional clunky dialogue (it's unnatural and more like pre-prepared speech), the just about passable level of drama and

I like for the most point, but yeah the dialogue can seem unnatural and sometimes it feels like there using inner terms (cant remember the exact phrase I'm thinking off) for the sake of it.

HBO is going back to the ballpark with "Eastbound & Down," picking up the comedy series for a fourth season.

Pay cabler confirmed that Danny McBride-starrer, which recently concluded its third season in April, will go forward with eight episodes.

McBride exec produces with Will Ferrell, Chris Henchy, Adam McKay of Gary Sanchez Prods., along with Jody Hill.

Show premiered its third season on Feb. 19 to 1.3 million viewers, with horseracing drama "Luck" as a lead-in, and was paired with "Life's Too Short." The season closed out on April 12 to 1.1 million viewers.

The past season featured McBride's politically incorrect character Kenny Powers -- a former Major League Baseball pitcher -- living in Myrtle Beach, S.C., and coping with a newborn baby as a single parent.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056210

from facebook

"Like any dip sh*t rock star knows, when you finish your set and the lights go black and you leave the f**king stage, the show ain't over. It might seem like it's over. Some d*ckheads might even start heading back to their car to beat traffic. But the true fans will remain. They'll chant your name, calling for you, begging for f**king more. And as a person that people see and is famous, it's your duty to answer those calls. To feed their hunger. One last face melter. People into the audience, raise your lighters and light them to make a flame. Watch your thumb or you may get burnt and get ready for the f**king encore." - Kenny Powers

hell why not. i'd have prefered a film but i'll take it

Sheldon is the most unlikable character I've seen in a long time. Everyone says "oh but that's the idea!", but that's such a load of shit. If that's the idea then why do I get angry whenever he's on the screen?

Really? He's the only thing that's any good in it. He's not unlikable, he just has no social skill or understanding. As someone mentioned (and was briefly addressed in an episode recently IIRC) Sheldon has a number of traits associated with Asperger's as well as OCD. You must be angry a lot watching it, because he's on all the time.

Supernatural. I'm a late comer to this show but I absolutely love it. When I first started watching it, I liked it but not enough to feel the need to watch it at any given opportunity. But with each pasing season it just gets better and I pretty much watch it all the time now. I'm coming towards the end of season 5, which from what my friend tells me is essentially the end of the main story, with seasons 6 & 7 going back to the usual episode by episode storyline that it started with. Season 4 was fantastic though, easily the best so far though 5 is now starting to really pick up pace. The show has the right mixture of humour, sadness and intensity whilst still maintaining a decent story. Oh, and Jared Padalecki who plays Sam seems to double in size with each passing season. He's a big fella.

Certainly up there with The Shield in terms of a solid TV show.

Supernatural. I'm a late comer to this show but I absolutely love it. When I first started watching it, I liked it but not enough to feel the need to watch it at any given opportunity. But with each pasing season it just gets better and I pretty much watch it all the time now. I'm coming towards the end of season 5, which from what my friend tells me is essentially the end of the main story, with seasons 6 & 7 going back to the usual episode by episode storyline that it started with. Season 4 was fantastic though, easily the best so far though 5 is now starting to really pick up pace. The show has the right mixture of humour, sadness and intensity whilst still maintaining a decent story. Oh, and Jared Padalecki who plays Sam seems to double in size with each passing season. He's a big fella.

Certainly up there with The Shield in terms of a solid TV show.

Been a fan of Supernatural for a few years now. Watched Seasons 1-4 online before starting watching it on telly from 5 onwards. Season 6 does go back a little bit to what it was like in the earlier seasons with more 'Monster of the Week' episodes than ones that advance the story arc. The Season 5 finale is brilliant, although the creator originally devised the show as 5 seasons, but when they got a sixth season they had to create a cliffhanger which I felt spoilt it a bit. Don't wanna say too much but you'll see when you get there.

Oh, and I have a massive man-crush on Dean. Dude is just awesome. Good looking guy, gets to kill monsters, drives an awesome car, great taste in music, great sense of humour, seemingly only ever eats cheeseburgers, gets a few birds along the way. What's not to love? :thumbsup:

Season 7 has finished in America but is due to be shown on Living sometime this summer. The wait we have is unbelievable considering a lot of American shows get shown over here within days/weeks!

Edited by SteelEdge

Supernatural can be a bit hit and miss for me, it's normally a good hour of television each week but I never feel it is must see televison. That changed during season 4 and 5 where it really became amazing and it had a feeling of all coming together buidling towards what would be a fantastic ending. Sadly the success of the show led to it getting a season 6 which the showrunner didn't want as he always said it was a 5 season story.

Season 6 was a little hit and miss but was still mostly good, I'm currently watching season 7 and it's feeling like a real chore to get through. The monster of the week formula feels all but exhausted at this stage and what big bad can really compare to Lucifer in season 4/5? The show has been renewed for another season but at this rate I feel it will wimper out of existence.

It's cliche to say but I liked the Big Bang Theory in the early seasons but it's become a bit of a parody of itself now. How I Met Your Mother is the same. I'm still happy to kill half an hour watching them but I can't see either of them going on much longer.

I'm sort of that way with them, except my dislike for BBT is much more pronounced these days. I put it down to:

1) Working in a department full of comic book and sci-fi nerds who think it deserves to be spoken about in the tones that normal people use to talk about Father Ted and Seinfeld. And who always seem to self-identify with the freaks on the show.

2) Stringing out the ridiculous Leonard & Penny relationship. It was just about possible to suspend disbelief to the point you could just about accept she might give him a sympathy shag, but the idea a lass who looks like that couldn't find a half decent bloke who didn't dress like a paedophile or speak in a whiny nasal drone anywhere in California is beyond silly, even for a sitcom.

3) I fucking hate 'geek chic'. I'm sick of all this bollocks with cardigans and funny coloured pants and scrawny cunts who look like they couldn't knock out a wank wearing glasses they don't need purely to accentuate their cheekbones. Fuck off.

Just catching up on episodes of Episodes I've stacked up during Euro 2012. Such a fantastic show. Can't believe it doesn't get more love.

Well, that's not something you here often. I'm currently in my early BBT stage with Episodes - I can sit through it for half an hour if there's nothing else on, but I can't shake the nagging suspicion that it's really shit. Matt Le Blanc is great, but I think a sitcom should only attempt the breaking the fourth wall stuff if it has its irony completely down, and I wonder about this show.

I think the main problem I have with it is the excerpts we've heard from the wonderful, witty and beautifully-acted British sitcom that the writers won so many awards for and have had to bastardise beyond recognition to make Pucks. It just seems like a really shit show - in fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that, if it existed, I'd rather watch Pucks than either their original show or Episodes itself.

• Paid Members
I think the main problem I have with it is the excerpts we've heard from the wonderful, witty and beautifully-acted British sitcom that the writers won so many awards for and have had to bastardise beyond recognition to make Pucks. It just seems like a really shit show - in fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that, if it existed, I'd rather watch Pucks than either their original show or Episodes itself.

Awesome. That's never crossed my mind. You're right though, it sounds like something that would have been shown on BBC London in 1953.

I just think the show is really funny. Le Blanc is the main reason. Is it ironic that he carries the show that's about a show that he doesn't really carry? His performance is excellent and the character he plays is brilliant. Obviously I have no idea how close to reality it is. The chemistry between most characters is really good. Matt & Shaun, Shaun & Beverley, Bev & Carol, Carol & Merc, Matt & Jamie, Sean & Morning, etc. The scenes all work between them. Merc is a fantastic character. He's such a twat but hilarious with it.

I don't think it's particularly clever but just genuinely funny. Some of the Brit/Yank stuff is pretty smart though. Especially considering neither writer is British.

Oh, and I have a massive man-crush on Dean. Dude is just awesome. Good looking guy, gets to kill monsters, drives an awesome car, great taste in music, great sense of humour, seemingly only ever eats cheeseburgers, gets a few birds along the way. What's not to love? :thumbsup:

You're not wrong. Nothing will ever beat this moment though.

Pudding.gif

You're not wrong. Nothing will ever beat this moment though.

Pudding.gif

I see your 'PUDDING!' and raise you one Dean Scream

Edited by SteelEdge