What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Right now I am pretty addicted to The Mentalist, after getting round to watching the first few episodes (I had bought my brother the Season 1 DVD boxset as he and his girlfriend were fans of the show). Just approaching the end of the first series at the moment.

It is ridiculously watchable and entertaining. Sure, it's not must-see, tense drama like The Wire or most HBO shows - it's a glossy Hollywood-type production full of beautiful people, but I can look past that. Also, I'd gone off "freak of the week" style shows a few years ago (Angel and Buffy did it well, but I lost patience when Smallville did it), but the premise and setting of The Mentalist means it translates very well to that style. It's also helped by having a primary plot feature driving the narrative forward with the Red John serial killer that crops up in a number of the episodes.

The characters are, for the most part, very likeable, and the whole package is aided by the presence of Simon Baker who plays the lead character, Patrick Jane. He clearly enjoys the role a lot and I have developed a man-crush on him. Seriously, he is a very handsome man.

Did anyone else watch Psychoville Halloween? I thought it was great and really creepy in places.

It was based around a local guy talking to another guy who wanted to make a Most Haunted-like tv show at a haunted building. The building being the home/hospital from the last series. They chatted to each other about apparent horror stories in the area that involved the characters from Psychoville. Each story had 1 or 2 little 'homages' to known horror movies. And the end linked up to the end of the first series brilliantly.

Did anyone else watch Psychoville Halloween? I thought it was great and really creepy in places.

It was based around a local guy talking to another guy who wanted to make a Most Haunted-like tv show at a haunted building. The building being the home/hospital from the last series. They chatted to each other about apparent horror stories in the area that involved the characters from Psychoville. Each story had 1 or 2 little 'homages' to known horror movies. And the end linked up to the end of the first series brilliantly.

Yeah i watched it, i also thought it was a cracking episode. Once again the balance between comedy and darkness was spot on and as you've mentioned the end of this episode was indeed linked to the end of the first series fantastically.

I echo the above comments, very good stuff from Psychoville. Creepier than the series (which you'd expect considering it was a halloween special) but still funny and set up series 2 well which looked interesting story wise from the preview.

I also really enjoyed The Trip last night with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. I'm a fan of most things Coogan and for those that don't know it's a part improvised comedy where they play heightened versions of themselves. I found it very engaging just listening to them going back and forth and it seemed very natural (here's where the improvisation helps) and it was funny which is also important.

• Paid Members

I'm not a big Rob Brydon fan but I do like Steve Coogan, so I reckon I will try and catch that on iPlayer. Along with Armstrong & Miller which I'm never going to see in its stupid new Saturday slot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Chinese Food In Minutes. I fucking love Chinese cooking, I don't know why but I do and this is a nice way to see some different stuff. I'm determined to give some a go ASAP.

Its odd for me as I hate TV cooks, this one included in truth, but the food just looks too good on the whole.

I've found myself watching this at 4 or 5 in the morning whenever i can't sleep and i think i might be getting a little addicted to it as i also love Chinese food.

Sorry to bump, but the accompanying book is only

Wasn't sure where to put this but here seems good enough.

Watched Richard Bacons Beer and Pizza Club last night and 5 minutes of the show was dedicated to Rufus Hound regaling Lee Ryan from blue about wrestling. This was followed by his wrestling impressions.

• Paid Members

Watched Richard Bacons Beer and Pizza Club last night and 5 minutes of the show was dedicated to Rufus Hound regaling Lee Ryan from blue about wrestling. This was followed by his wrestling impressions.

Yes, it was slightly embarrassing, I thought, but I do like the show on the whole.

Are me and Mrs Small the only ones in Britain that quite like the new Reggie Perrin?

Yes, it was slightly embarrassing, I thought, but I do like the show on the whole.

Are me and Mrs Small the only ones in Britain that quite like the new Reggie Perrin?

Quite probably, I've got nothing against Martin Clunes but the original Rise and Fall of reginald Perrin was really special, even watching it back (they repeated it on BBC2 about 5 or so years back) that it's namesake just can't hold a candle to it.

Been watching the original TV series Mission Impossible on Quest TV. Was groundbreaking for its time the gadgets as some of the episodes were set in the 1960's. Its on 12 noon every day and have just had the pleasure of watching one of the only 3 part missions "THE FALCON"

• Paid Members

Quite probably, I've got nothing against Martin Clunes but the original Rise and Fall of reginald Perrin was really special, even watching it back (they repeated it on BBC2 about 5 or so years back) that it's namesake just can't hold a candle to it.

Oh, it's nowhere near as good as the original, but I still quite like it. But it may be entirely down to Lucy Liemann, in all honesty.

Anyone see Never Mind The Buzzcocks tonight? Terry Wogan was far better as a host than I think I could ever have imagined he would be.