UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

PWG's been alright. I'd recommend last years Kurt RussellMania III which was fantastic. 2012 saw new guys featured more such as Elgin and Cole too which was nice to see. Steen was on top and there was a cracking ladder match between him and Generico at Steen Wolf.

Since they introduced the commentary to the DVD's I've found myself enjoying the events much more. It compensates for the entrances not being on there.

Edited by Twinn

• Paid Members
Whats PWG like these days?

I've been checking out the DVD trailers, via highspots, and must say the product looks a lot better than it did when i last watched it, which was back in 2007.

I've just reached the end of 2011 with my PWG viewing, with 'Kurt Russell-Reunion III' (the annual LA WrestleReunion event) next in the pile, and will probably get through to 'Threemendous III' in the next couple of weeks.

It's the only US indie where I'll catch every one of their shows, now. Firstly because they only tend to run 8-9ish shows per year so it's easy to follow, and secondly because they are the only place which seems to represent a 'best of the indies', meaning you can pretty much catch everyone who's anyone all in one place. For example, they use the best guys from ROH, DGUSA, Chikara, SoCal, etc, as well as occasional guests from Japan, Mexico and Europe, all in the same place at the same time. They often even acknowledge, throw a nod to and even further feuds etc from other promotions on occasion. For instance, PWG's fantastic 2011 feud between Kevin Steen and El Generico was based entirely on their break-up in ROH the year prior, but took it further and ended up telling its own story.

Thirdly, they have a red-hot in-ring product in front of a rabid, passionate, enthusiastic regular live crowd which is totally into everything they see. Everywhere else, I don't usually think too much of The Young Bucks, for instance, but since mid-2009 in PWG in that building in front of those fans, it just works and the Bucks have been pretty damn great.

Finally, their shows cover every part of the spectrum of different wrestling styles. Non-stop, all-action spotfests? Yep. Slow-burn technical wrestling? Tick. Wild brawls? Indeed. Daft comedy? Sure. Strong characters? Yes. Engaging feuds? Yes. They also have probably the best tag team matches currently available on the indies too.

For these reasons, I can satisfy virtually my entire interest in US indies, getting chance to see who's hot etc, by following just the one promotion.

Edited by Big Benny HG

When was the last time WWE did TV in Canada? I'm going to Toronto in June for three weeks and I was wondering if there was any chance of them being in town whilst I was there.

Also, concerning Hogan/Michaels: I wouldn't say losing to Hogan was damaging at all for HBK. The match was so long ago that it's likely only fans of our ilk actually remember it. Furthermore, Shawn embarrassed Hogan both in the ring and the next night on Raw on the microphone. For once, it's a story where I would actually side with Shawn Michaels.

• Paid Members
Also, concerning Hogan/Michaels: I wouldn't say losing to Hogan was damaging at all for HBK. The match was so long ago that it's likely only fans of our ilk actually remember it. Furthermore, Shawn embarrassed Hogan both in the ring and the next night on Raw on the microphone. For once, it's a story where I would actually side with Shawn Michaels.

Fuck that. Everyone in the business (including Vince and Triple H) took Hogan's side on that. Michaels little bitch fit was the typical insecurity of someone who Hogan didn't feel was on his level. He should never have aired his real feelings over the house mic. Its the sort of unprofessional shit that he should have said to Hogan's face if he had the arse. It completely undermined his own face turn, which was dumb. The idea that Michaels "embarrassed" Hogan in the ring is also laughable. Hogan isn't a mark, and he was never that good in the ring anyway. He got what he wanted out of the night, got his payday, got the result he wanted and went home. Michaels had to carry him. Anyone watching at home wouldn't have thought "good sell job, that". Michaels overselling just made him look like he was getting slapped around by an old bloke.

From what's been said since, Vince stirred that up anyway. Hogan never said he was ever going to put Michaels over, but he would tell Michaels the opposite. Why would Hogan come in to trade wins with Shawn Michaels? If you have a legends match, it should be just that. A one off.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
From what's been said since, Vince stirred that up anyway. Hogan never said he was ever going to put Michaels over, but he would tell Michaels the opposite.

Hogan involved in a spat where Vince told lies about a program to another wrestler. Hmmm, where have I heard that before?

Fuck that. Everyone in the business (including Vince and Triple H) took Hogan's side on that. Michaels little bitch fit was the typical insecurity of someone who Hogan didn't feel was on his level. He should never have aired his real feelings over the house mic. Its the sort of unprofessional shit that he should have said to Hogan's face if he had the arse. It completely undermined his own face turn, which was dumb. The idea that Michaels "embarrassed" Hogan in the ring is also laughable. Hogan isn't a mark, and he was never that good in the ring anyway. He got what he wanted out of the night, got his payday, got the result he wanted and went home. Michaels had to carry him. Anyone watching at home wouldn't have thought "good sell job, that". Michaels overselling just made him look like he was getting slapped around by an old bloke.

From what's been said since, Vince stirred that up anyway. Hogan never said he was ever going to put Michaels over, but he would tell Michaels the opposite. Why would Hogan come in to trade wins with Shawn Michaels? If you have a legends match, it should be just that. A one off.

I'm not in the business, so "everyone" isn't really a foremost concern of mine. Hogan can believe Michaels is below him all he wants (in terms of stature, he is). I'm not really going to get into a discussion about professionalism concerning Hulk Hogan or Shawn Michaels considering I think they are both a bit morally questionable, but it's fine that Hogan got what he wanted out of the exchange. After all, the next time he turned up in 2006 Steve Austin made him look like a right prick at the Hall of Fame anyway.

Upon reflection, that summer of 2005 was probably the most I enjoyed HBK from his return up until his retirement.

• Paid Members
I'm not in the business, so "everyone" isn't really a foremost concern of mine.

Well your the one that said he "embarrassed" him. He could only "embarrass" him in a shoot fashion, because to everyone outside the business nobody would have got the reason for the manner in which Michaels handled himself in the match.

After all, the next time he turned up in 2006 Steve Austin made him look like a right prick at the Hall of Fame anyway.

He beats women up. He's a bigger prick. Only in personality of course, because his dick is smaller.

Austin has made mistakes, but at least he is loaded. I'm sure he wasn't the first wrestler to beat up women and he probably wasn't the last. In his retirement, he has the luxury of picking and choosing his dates and seems to have found a bit of peace and quiet. He's enjoying himself. It's funny you should accuse Michaels' behaviour of being born out of having thin skin concerning Hogan when he was the one on the TV crying about being skint, having the gun in his mouth and being made a cuckold by a 20 year old. Hogan should have it all, but it's only now he's getting it back. For every "artistic working" of Shawn Michaels there is having to do a shite celebrity wrestling show on ITV to keep creditors at bay.

• Paid Members
Austin has made mistakes, but at least he is loaded.

Great attitude to have there Soap. Hogan was loaded at Austin's age, as well. Austin will beat again. Its how his ilk work.

I'm sure he wasn't the first wrestler to beat up women and he probably wasn't the last. In his retirement, he has the luxury of picking and choosing his dates and seems to have found a bit of peace and quiet. He's enjoying himself. It's funny you should accuse Michaels' behaviour of being born out of having thin skin concerning Hogan when he was the one on the TV crying about being skint, having the gun in his mouth and being made a cuckold by a 20 year old. Hogan should have it all, but it's only now he's getting it back. For every "artistic working" of Shawn Michaels there is having to do a shite celebrity wrestling show on ITV to keep creditors at bay.

Gotten to.