The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

I don't like superhero comics, liked them as a child but grew out of the superheroes but not out of reading comics. Check out any of the above, they are all geniuses.

I'm not a fan of superheroes at all. It was reading Preacher when I was 18 or 19 that got me into reading comics. Not a big fan of the alternative stuff either, due to buying and reading Ghost World about seven years ago. It was total shit and put me off an entire genre.

• Paid Members

I like some alternative comics. I particularly like Adrian Tomine's work, and (of course), Maus. LogiComix was fun as well. I've liked some Sacco and Clowes as well, but I tend to find them a little skimmable for some reason.

Oh, I loved Jimmy Corrigan: Boy Genius. That was superb.

Yeah Adrian Tomine is another good one. Never heard of Logicomix but it looks interesting. Surprised that you say Joe Sacco is skimmable, his drawings are very intricate and his draughtsmanship is amazing.

buying and reading Ghost World about seven years ago. It was total shit and put me off an entire genre.

That's a shame. Dan Clowes stuff can be slow and weird but that is his style.

• Paid Members

Seeing as there's love for alternatives here, read this online comic:

A Heart Made Of Glass

Chris B knows the author/artist, a guy who goes by the name of "Hard" (real name Jon Heeren) - he created the hideously funny/disgusting Sexy Losers. This work is a bit older, autobiographical, and is about the dark period he went through in the wake of a break-up. It's really very good; very moving, quite melancholy and dark, and you get a sense of how delicate and fragile he is emotionally, even when he's on his uppers. I honestly doubt you'll regret reading it.

Edited by Carbomb

A Heart Made Of Glass

Chris B knows the author/artist, a guy who goes by the name of "Hard" (real name Jon Heeren) - he created the hideously funny/disgusting Sexy Losers. This work is a bit older, autobiographical, and is about the dark period he went through in the wake of a break-up. It's really very good; very moving, quite melancholy and dark, and you get a sense of how delicate and fragile he is emotionally, even when he's on his uppers. I honestly doubt you'll regret reading it.

I didn't really like it. I don't like the sort of quasi-manga style of the drawings. Also the story is a bit like something I might have tried to write when I got dumped by my first girlfriend at 19, so I can identify with him but it doesn't really appeal to me these days. Cheers for the link though. I don't have any links to online comics, only paper ones.

• Paid Members

A Heart Made Of Glass

I didn't really like it. I don't like the sort of quasi-manga style of the drawings. Also the story is a bit like something I might have tried to write when I got dumped by my first girlfriend at 19, so I can identify with him but it doesn't really appeal to me these days. Cheers for the link though. I don't have any links to online comics, only paper ones.

Fair enough, at least you had a look. He draws in the manga style because he lives in Japan (or, at least, did so for quite a while).

Tell you what, though - you should have a look at this:

Sexy Losers

Same guy, but doing really, really, REALLY disgusting (and therefore funny) sexual misadventures. Trust me - even if you didn't like AHMOG, I'd swear blind you'd love this.

• Paid Members

A Heart Made Of Glass

Fair enough, at least you had a look. He draws in the manga style because he lives in Japan (or, at least, did so for quite a while).

Tell you what, though - you should have a look at this:

Sexy Losers

Same guy, but doing really, really, REALLY disgusting (and therefore funny) sexual misadventures. Trust me - even if you didn't like AHMOG, I'd swear blind you'd love this.

I thought it was decent, but rather adolescent. I've been through enough shitty breakups to recognise the stuff he's talking about, but also to know that it's not the kind of stuff that's worth sharing.

Sexy Losers, however, is fantastic. Absolutely filthy but very funny. I particularly loved the adventures of bukkake girl.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Can someone explain the sequence that Disney XD is showing Avengers:Earths Mightiest Heroes in. I've looked at the Wiki page. However some episodes on that list seem to not have been shown on XD. Or they have been combined into one. Little confused.

• Paid Members
Oh, and the latest Panel Talk is up.

Next one could be interesting - anyone got any thoughts on Infinite Crisis?

Thought it meandered a lot, and didn't really do a lot for me - there were so interesting moments, and of course the artwork was beautiful - Perez is made for that sort of crowded set up. In all, though, a pale imitation of CoIE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
They only seem to be showing the season premier. Which was, what: 5 or 6 episodes? Disney XD just keep showing those episodes. It's a pain seeing as it's the closest a super hero cartoon has gotten to the sheer majesty of justice league unlimited

Disney XD havevstarted showing new episodes.