The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films' Little Brother

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

On the topic of Kelly's Heroes, I truly do love that film. Die Hard just pipped it to number 1 in my list, and if we were to do the list again I'd imagine it would stay the same way. However no film would break that top two in a list of favourites for me. The rest of my list just depends on my mood at the time really, but Kelly's Heroes is firmly up there. It's just different I guess. As Gladstone mentioned, there aren't that many films quite like it, which is part of it's charm. Most films you need to be in the mood for that genre or that actor or whatever when you watch it. But I could stick this on anytime day or night and enjoy it immensely.

• Paid Members
On the topic of Kelly's Heroes, I truly do love that film. Die Hard just pipped it to number 1 in my list, and if we were to do the list again I'd imagine it would stay the same way. However no film would break that top two in a list of favourites for me. The rest of my list just depends on my mood at the time really, but Kelly's Heroes is firmly up there. It's just different I guess. As Gladstone mentioned, there aren't that many films quite like it, which is part of it's charm. Most films you need to be in the mood for that genre or that actor or whatever when you watch it. But I could stick this on anytime day or night and enjoy it immensely.

Indeed, and although the tone is somewhat more serious, I would say the same of Where Eagles Dare. It's just brilliant. In fact, I want to watch it now but I'll be buggered if I know where it is.

*looks on YouTube*

Bugger.

• Paid Members

I must get round to watching Where Eagles Dare in full. I put it on one Sunday afternoon a few years ago, but had to go to work half way through. I haven't really had the opportunity to see it since. I'm sure It'll pop up on Sky at some point in time.

• Paid Members

=46) Grosse Pointe Blank

What's a bit like? It's very much its own thing, isn't it? I can't recall having seen much like it before. I've seen it compared to Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, but I don't see it myself. I'd probably say the way the film turns out makes it only slightly similar to In Bruges - otherwise I'm stuck!

What about the people in it? Well, John Cusack's been in so much good stuff that it's hard to know where to begin. His more comedic stuff is at its best in films like The Sure Thing and the underrated Hot Pursuit, for me. But I reckon that his best film to date is still the fantastic Eight Men Out, which EVERYONE should see. This, for Dan Aykroyd, was a brief blip of quality in the middle of a run of mind-numbing shitness, but he was in the odd one or two good films in the 80s, so we will let him off. Mr. Seven's summing up of Minnie Driver covered her career nicely in the original thread, but Alan Arkin's list of films is as fantastic as it is diverse. Like I said in the other thread, too, Joan Cusack should be in more films. She is wonderful.

Has the director done owt else of note? Aside from the excellent little crime thriller Miami Blues, strangely little, and he seems pretty much retired now. A great shame, but Miami Blues is superb and worthy of a look.

• Moderators
=46) Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

What's a bit like?Not a lot, really

That's a relief, actually, now we're virtually a couple of years clear of it. When it came out, I liked it a lot, but I thought it was something with such an overwhelming visual style, that you could only do it the once, and feared a wave of imitators running that flashy 8bit nerd thing into the ground. But unless I'm blanking here, I can't think of anything that's come out since, or that's even due to come out, that rode that wave. Scott Pilgrim will hold up a lot better because of that, unlike the Matrix for example, which had its visual style aped by everything up to toilet cleaner adverts within a few months of release.

I've been making my way through the Top 50 (every film, including ones I've seen before) since the initial countdown began. The first time I watched Scott Pilgrim I was indifferent to it - it was fun, but probably didn't deserve the hype it was getting. I watched it again last night, and I really don't like it. There are some nice ideas in there, but it's just a mess. Cera has never been so grating, the references get boring 30 minutes in and it really isn't funny - I think I laughed once in the entire film. It's definately a 'style-over-substance' film, and in that respect I'd say its somewhat similar to Smokin' Aces and Lucky Number Slevin, but it isn't a patch on either of those. Disappointment.

In Bruges, on the other hand, would probably find it's way into my own Top 10 now. I first watched it a few weeks back when it was revealed as number 50, and since then I've watched it around 4 times. Combines humour and tragedy in a way that I've never seen equalled. Grosse Point Blank, too, is incredible, and has an amazing soundtrack. Although is it only me who liked Minnie Driver in Good Will Hunting too?

I've not seen Kelly's Heroes yet, got it downloaded. Would just like to say thanks to Gladstone for doing this list, it's given me something to focus on instead of Uni work and is greatly helping me fill in huge gaps in my movie viewing.

Scott Pilgrim is good, it's just got too much of a slow start. What the film needed to do was show the whole Ramona/Scott/Knives triangle thing a bit quicker then get into the evil exes a bit earlier leaivng more time to show the full relationship with Ramona. Because it did seem to e like some of the fight scnes consisted of one or two big effects and not much else, so they could have been fleshed out some more with the time.

Archived