General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
Not sure if this has been posted. Apologies if it has, but must say I can't wait for this.

Army vs aliens looks awsome!

but at 1.52 of the trailer theres a clip of what I hope isnt the aliens, cause with a year to go and you see the enemy it takes alot away from the film.

Kirstie Allsopp got in on the action at 1:44. Looks so awesome, and I'm glad you could see the alien because now I know it's 'safe' for me to see it. Those aliens I can deal with happily.

Edited by Kookoocachu

Then while all this is going on in your brain, you're trying to pay attention to the actual film. I don't want stuff 'flying' at me in a scene that could be awesome just as it is. You're fighting to get through all the layers on the screen just to be able to watch the damn film. Special effects and CGI count for nothing because you're concentrating on what ever it is moving towards you, thus ruining the movie.

Luckily the number of 'random shit flying around' 3d movies is getting less and less, which makes this kind of anti-3d arument rather pointless and untrue.

I go and see loads of 3d films and have seen very few of that type of 3d film recently. The vast majority are now using 3d to show depth and detail and in many cases this is done to great effect and adds to the film experience with very little gimmicky, confusing and unusual camera shots just to have an excuse to show a pole sticking out towads you or something.

Of course, theres still some which do it badly and suffer from the problems you mentioned above.

• Paid Members
First of all there are health issues like 'binocular dysphoria' which is what you have when your brain has been battling with itself with depth perception issues while you have been watching the film or whatever because 3D films only offer stereopsis based depth cues for your brain to try and figure out rather than the 10 it needs to process depth, it takes a while for your brain to re adjust afterwards and could become permanent in extreme cases. It can also trigger epilespy.

Then while all this is going on in your brain, you're trying to pay attention to the actual film. I don't want stuff 'flying' at me in a scene that could be awesome just as it is. You're fighting to get through all the layers on the screen just to be able to watch the damn film. Special effects and CGI count for nothing because you're concentrating on what ever it is moving towards you, thus ruining the movie.

I'm not even going to go into the stupidity that is having it in your home.

When was the last time you saw a 3D movie?

• Paid Members
First of all there are health issues like 'binocular dysphoria' which is what you have when your brain has been battling with itself with depth perception issues while you have been watching the film or whatever because 3D films only offer stereopsis based depth cues for your brain to try and figure out rather than the 10 it needs to process depth, it takes a while for your brain to re adjust afterwards and could become permanent in extreme cases. It can also trigger epilespy.

Toy Story.

• Paid Members

Toy Story.

I didn't see the 3D version of that, but most of the 3D films I've seen recently weren't full of stuff coming out the screen at you and in fact, after a few minutes I barely noticed. Modern 3D to me is just another progression much like HD was.

• Paid Members

I've seen several 'modern' 3D films now, A Christmas Carol, Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story and Avatar....personally I think it works well with animated movies, I loved its usage in Christmas Carol and Toy Story, but live action in 3D I just don't like. It's like my eyes are trying to process too much and it just hurts after a while. Hated Avatar. Hated it.

• Paid Members

Toy Story.

I didn't see the 3D version of that, but most of the 3D films I've seen recently weren't full of stuff coming out the screen at you and in fact, after a few minutes I barely noticed. Modern 3D to me is just another progression much like HD was.

Really? I think it's just a fad and will die out again, like it did in the 80's. It seems to me that this push for 3D comes from that a large part of the industry wants to create a more immersive cinema experience and to get people excited to go to the movies again. I think they should just stick to what we know we can get right because as it stands in my opinion, the technology behind 3D just isn't quite there yet, and one of the things we can do and do well, is to keep progressing with resolution and faster frame rates.

• Paid Members
I've heard that argument before, and it seemed compelling at first. But if it's the case, then why are they also pushing 3D tvs so hard?

Money. To be able to play a 3D film you will need to have a 3D TV and the film itself will be more expensive because it's in 3D, when the films get shown on providers like SKY for example they will be more expensive for SKY to buy to be able to show them. UBIsoft are claiming that there will be a 3DTV in every household by 2013. What ever they are on I would love some as their optimism is astounding.

The film industry is pushing hard as it makes cam-copies impossible & will go a long way to combating piracy. Sky are pushing 3D as it's the next logical upgrade that people will pay for.

Apparently there are ways of filming 3D. it's not impossible just very hard atm.

I don't think 3D will be a fad that goes away anytime soon though. I used to work at Cineworld, and they have/are spending ALOT of money on changing all there screens to be able to show 3D films. As are alot of the other big cinema chains.

• Paid Members
The film industry is pushing hard as it makes cam-copies impossible & will go a long way to combating piracy. Sky are pushing 3D as it's the next logical upgrade that people will pay for.

Apparently there are ways of filming 3D. it's not impossible just very hard atm.

I don't think 3D will be a fad that goes away anytime soon though. I used to work at Cineworld, and they have/are spending ALOT of money on changing all there screens to be able to show 3D films. As are alot of the other big cinema chains.

Of course they have because it will bring in a lot of revenue, they will need to keep up with the latest trends or loose out. Just because they have upgraded their screens doesn;t count for a lot.

When did you stop working there anyway?

Of course they have because it will bring in a lot of revenue, they will need to keep up with the latest trends or loose out. Just because they have upgraded their screens doesn;t count for a lot.

When did you stop working there anyway?

Since coming back from travelling, one of my jobs now though is cleaning the place.

Anyway. i see your point but it is alot of money, if they thought it was gonna die out in a couple of years, i don't think they'd spend it.

I'm not convinced on 3D TV's though. It works at the cinema, but when i tried a TV it just didn't work right. I think cos even the biggest TV's aren't big enough to use 3D right.