The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

because this thread really is too modern indy-centric...

You've got a point there.Especially when the Africans are bringing the guitar work so much harder than the skinny jeans brigade. Here's a couple of uber-upbeat songs from Malian artists that I done been listening to in the sunshine yesterday.Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra - ToumaniAmadou & Mariam - M' bife

Faraquet - Cut Self Not

My friend just got me into these and their album The View From This Tower is brilliant, and made me further aware of the gaping Dischord shaped hole in my collection. Anyone care to fill me in on what are the most essential Dischord releases?

How can we ever forget the time Glenn Hoddle and Chris Waddle stormed into the charts with the song "Diamond Nights"?The lyrics are appalling but worth a listen. I think its from 1987.http://www.sendspace.com/file/q475xc

It was Diamond Lights and yes, it was 87. In the good old days, the FA Cup build up would start from about 8am. The Tottingham stuff focused on this song.EDIT - Sorry, forgot to thank you for it. Edited by Keith Houchen

In the spirit of mixing it up, what better than some 1970s Japanese surf guitar~!takeshiterauchiandhisbllv2.jpgTakeshi Terauchi & His Blue Jeans - Okosa Bushi

Faraquet - Cut Self NotMy friend just got me into these and their album The View From This Tower is brilliant, and made me further aware of the gaping Dischord shaped hole in my collection. Anyone care to fill me in on what are the most essential Dischord releases?

Faraquet are indeed the balls. If you've got a Dischord-shaped hole in your CD collection, there is no better way to plug it than with this. The accompanying booklet is not only a thing of beauty but a proper education in itself. Edited by Parkamarka

Another ATP song, this, from what I rate as probably the best performance of the weekend by Two Gallants. Again, I was already fairly familiar with their stuff but they really took me by surprise by being awesome live. I'm not too sure how to describe them, they're a Californian two-piece and sound somewhere between Western, er, outlaw rock(?) and Pogues-esque Irish folk. There's also a bit of Decemberists about them with the very literary slant to the lyrics. There were also a lot of punks in the audience for some reason, so I think they've got a bit of crossover appeal there as well....Two Gallants - Steady Rollin'

I really like Two Gallants and am quite jealous of your ATP experience. My mate went and said Explosions in the Sky and The Books were the best, I really want to accompany him next year.Oh, and Las Cruces Jail is an amazing song. Edited by HBAndy

Another ATP song, this, from what I rate as probably the best performance of the weekend by Two Gallants. Again, I was already fairly familiar with their stuff but they really took me by surprise by being awesome live. I'm not too sure how to describe them, they're a Californian two-piece and sound somewhere between Western, er, outlaw rock(?) and Pogues-esque Irish folk. There's also a bit of Decemberists about them with the very literary slant to the lyrics. There were also a lot of punks in the audience for some reason, so I think they've got a bit of crossover appeal there as well....Two Gallants - Steady Rollin'

I really like Two Gallants and am quite jealous of your ATP experience. My mate went and said Explosions in the Sky and The Books were the best, I really want to accompany him next year.Oh, and Las Cruces Jail is an amazing song.
Hell yeah, I almost posted that but went for Steady Rollin' instead. Both great songs.I was pretty devastated by Explosions in the Sky cancelling, I think your mate must have been hallucinating them (and good on him!) as they certainly weren't there... You should definitely check ATP out though it's quite unlike any other festival I've been to. I don't know what other fest you can break up a day of waterslides and crazy golf with a spot of avant garde post-rock.Here's one from another band that rocked my ATP, Okkervil River. Quite a jaunty little number this, for a song that appears to be about wanting to rip the guts out of your girlfriend's rapist father. Still, if you can't dance about these things...Okkervil River - Black Edited by Parkamarka

Parkamarka there actually really good. So good in fact I'm on there Myspace page listening to there other songs that are available. They remind me of The Shins in a way, but more of what's good in the Indie/Folk rock scene. 'For Real' is a stand out on there page.

I really like Two Gallants and am quite jealous of your ATP experience. My mate went and said Explosions in the Sky and The Books were the best, I really want to accompany him next year.Oh, and Las Cruces Jail is an amazing song.
Hell yeah, I almost posted that but went for Steady Rollin' instead. Both great songs.I was pretty devastated by Explosions in the Sky cancelling, I think your mate must have been hallucinating them (and good on him!) as they certainly weren't there... You should definitely check ATP out though it's quite unlike any other festival I've been to. I don't know what other fest you can break up a day of waterslides and crazy golf with a spot of avant garde post-rock.Here's one from another band that rocked my ATP, Okkervil River. Quite a jaunty little number this, for a song that appears to be about wanting to rip the guts out of your girlfriend's rapist father. Still, if you can't dance about these things...Okkervil River - Black
He must have been banging on about 65daysofstatic I guess. He said it was bizarre watching Johnny Marr playing about 30ft away from a Pizza Hut and Burger King. Sounds wacky.Thank you for that Okkervil River song, I was looking to download some of them just earlier today infact but couldn't find any decent links with good seeds.Much grateful if you could upload some more.I'll upload one of my favourite songs currently, Jens Lekman - Black Cab, a Swedish singer-songwriter full of heartbreak and self-indulgence, love it...Jens Lekman - Black Cab