Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

In the episode of 'That Peter Kay Thing' where Kay plays an Irish guy working at the Manchester Evening News Arena, he also plays another character - a skinhead guy who runs the security firm working for the Arena.

I tried to find a youtube clip of it, but couldn't.

So anyone who has seen it and knows about accents - what accent does he have?

I can tell it's from somewhere in the north-east, but it's different to a Newcastle accent.

I think it is supposed to be a general Tyne accent. I can't tell the difference between say Sunderland, Middlesbrough or Newcastle accent, and just tend to say Geordie accent. But Sunderland and Middlebrough people (think they have nicknames) take offence to this and say there is a difference.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you can't tell the difference between a Middlesbrough and Newcastle accent then you're thick. Even I can't understand the Newcastle accent.

Well I must be thick then. I'm not the only one though because I've discussed this in the past with people and people have said they can't tell the difference. It's like up here in Merseyside, I can tell the difference between say someone from the outskirts of Liverpool (Southport) but if people not from Merseyside heard this they would probably say are you from Liverpool to the person.

• Paid Members

This is a fair point. My mum has only a faint accent from growing up in Crosby, and only those outside of Liverpool or who have never lived on Merseyside would consider her to be a scouser when they hear her speak. Also, when I moved down to Maidstone and started school, people thought I had a Liverpool accent when it's more of a Mersey/Lancashire hybrid of north western accents.

That said, at Uni I was able to distinguish between Newcastle and other Tyne/Tees folk, but that was primarily because the handful of true geordies I met had the full-on uber-thick accent that takes real concentration to understand, whereas the girl from Middlesbrough (who was erroneously known as "Geordie Laura") was blatantly not of the same breed.

Archived